Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Mikado V-BAR

Mikado V-BAR Mikado V-Stabi/V-BAR Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2019, 02:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Powering Up Neo With External Flight Pack

I am running the Vbar Neo and the Tribunus 130 ESC and I am using a separate flight pack to power the Neo. I guess it's worth mentioning that I am using the vbar egov. My question is can I power up the Neo, let it boot (pitch twitch) and then plug in the main pack? I'm just wondering if it's going to freak out because of the CAN bus connection between the Neo and Tribunus. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this.

Mike
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2019, 03:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't think the Tribunus supports the notion of a separate rx pack in parallel with its BEC.

You will have to remove the positive wire, middle wire, from the esc lead and rpm lead.

I have seen what you want to do with a Castle Creations ESC.

It should be an easy test.

The worst that will happen is the Tribunus won't arm. Try it with the blades off first time.

What do you mean by CAN bus connection?
Andy from Sandy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2019, 06:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy View Post
I don't think the Tribunus supports the notion of a separate rx pack in parallel with its BEC.

You will have to remove the positive wire, middle wire, from the esc lead and rpm lead.

I have seen what you want to do with a Castle Creations ESC.

It should be an easy test.

The worst that will happen is the Tribunus won't arm. Try it with the blades off first time.

What do you mean by CAN bus connection?
https://www.scorpionsystem.com/blog/?p=7116
Old hand at Planks
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2019, 07:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The scorpion link doesn't answer the OPs question but it does highlight that he should pull the positive wires.

He is not looking for a backup pack.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

By CAN connection, I mean controller area network, it is a communications protocol used to share data between two devices. Vbar specific, I am talking about the cable that connects to the Tribunus PC port and the Vbar satalite port. I'm still not sure if the connection needs to established on Vbar boot up or not. I will test later and let you know what I find.

Yea, I definitely have both power wires pulled. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mike
Old 05-08-2019, 03:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

If the Tribunus were being used with another rx that has no telemetry it should still work or else Scorpion would have locked themselves out from supplying to Spektrum, JR or Futaba customers with "normal" receivers.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, I agree that they would make the speed control compatible with a regular reciever but in that case it would have nothing connected to the PC port. I dont know what difference that would make but it would be the only difference to the speed control. I'm just not sure what the Vbar is going to have to say about it. Two things I noticed were with only the flight pack plugged in, I have no scorpion icon that indicates a connection between the SC and Vbar but I would expect that to be normal since the speed control is not powered up. Also I do not get the battery selection screen that you get upon plugging in the main pack, so the Vbar knows the speed control is not powered up. I bet it just works. I figured that running a separate flight pack would be a common setup, but it does not seem like that is the case.

Mike
Old 05-08-2019, 09:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

From my link posted earlier
'You can do that and the BEC will not be harmed in any ways.'

No problem in having another power source in parallel with the Tribunus. It makes no difference on switch on either. Having telemetry or not will not make a difference either. Telemetry only has signal and ground.
Old hand at Planks
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2019, 10:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am not trying to do parallel input. I have disabled the ESC's BEC by removing the power wires from the throttle channel and RPM channel. Then I have a separate 2S lipo connected directly to the Vbar. As mentioned before, the link really does not apply to my setup.

Mike
Old 05-08-2019, 10:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am not asking this in any negative sense at all, but I would like to know the rationale behind what you are trying to do?

If you are not going to run the BEC to power the Neo and servos, why not use something like the CC Edge 120 and your receiver pack. The Edge is almost two ounces lighter, and also has the RPM signal for the Neo governor. I have run your setup on the Edge and Ice versions for years, but lately, have switched over to the Tribunus, using its BEC along with a small backup guard, mainly for simplicity in my mechanical setup and ease of programming with the Neo/Vcontrol.

Just curious.

Amain Hobbies Team Rep
rcflyerheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2019, 06:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

He is running a receiver pack to power things, and a flight pack for the motor. He is not using the BEC to power anything.

His original question:
Quote:
My question is can I power up the Neo, let it boot (pitch twitch) and then plug in the main pack? I'm just wondering if it's going to freak out because of the CAN bus connection between the Neo and Tribunus. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this.
I can't answer, as I don't have a Tribunus, but that's how I power my heli up, with a receiver pack, let the Neo boot, and then plug my Hobbywing into my flight pack. There's no telemetry there, so I can't say one way or another. My guess would be that it would be fine.
RCHN #633
Grimmy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2019, 09:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You can do that all day with YGE and others, but all my Tribs are using the BEC.
Citizen #97
K2Freak is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2019, 10:20 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am running the Tribunus because it has the data link and you do not need the I/U sensor to do battery capacity. If you add the weight of the I/U sensor with wires and connectors, it works out to be a wash. Plus the fact that I can do any adjustment including speed control settings without a laptop once it's setup. In my opinion, it's the best set up that there is right now.

Mike
K2Freak likes this.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:35 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Why is it you don't want to use the bec?
Old 05-09-2019, 10:45 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'll need to develop a relationship with the speed control before I will consider using the BEC. It's the same reason you dont give a chick your credit card on the first date. On a side note, I would not recommend giving her a credit card even if your married 😂😂
I've had my fair of speed control failures, but I've always run a seperate flight pack so I was able to auto most of them without damage. Also I have this stuff in a stretched Synergy E5 and I need all the nose weight I can get and the 2200 flight pack helps with that.

Mike
Old 05-09-2019, 10:57 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DME View Post
I am running the Tribunus because it has the data link and you do not need the I/U sensor to do battery capacity. If you add the weight of the I/U sensor with wires and connectors, it works out to be a wash. Plus the fact that I can do any adjustment including speed control settings without a laptop once it's setup. In my opinion, it's the best set up that there is right now.

Mike
the new YGE-T's do the same thing as the ui sensor and tribunus.. and the 120hvt doesn't have a bec and has all the telemetry for vcontrol.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:58 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I only have a pair of the 80A, but they sure did make everything easier. I use the BEC too, and for the little birds the weight and space savings is really nice.

Once you go out a few times, maybe you can at least make her a signer?
Citizen #97
Old 05-09-2019, 11:10 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I did not know the YGE speed controls were able to be used for Vbar telemetry. You are the first I've heard say this. I haven't even seen anything about the Vbar supporting YGE telemetry. Are you using a YGE and Vbar with the telemetry? I would be interested to learn about it. Are there any other ESC's that have "built in" telemetry?

I would have no problem making her a signer after 3-4 dates, as long as it's a NDA or prenuptial agreement. Its 2019 out there, you got to be careful. 😆😆
Old 05-09-2019, 11:23 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I meant the level of function that you get with MUI - useful logs and fly by capacity. I've only used the older YGE, but this worked just fine.

I don't own a new YGE, but they are supposed to integrate like the tribunus.
Citizen #97
Old 05-09-2019, 11:41 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am a little confused, does the YGE have the ability to send its data to the Vbar via the satalite connector on the Vbar? I am using the Vcontrol for flight by capacity and the Battery Logbook. I am curious because I have not heard that the YGE can duplicate the Vbar/Tribunus functionality. I'm definitely interested in learning about it though.

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in