Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite)

Blade Helicopters (eFlite) Blade Helicopters (eFlite) CP, CX, mCX CX II, CX III. and others

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2019, 11:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Blade is getting very SLOPPY lately!

I have been a Blade fan for years but recent times have shown how sloppy they have been getting lately. Just a few recent examples of carelessness and mistakes from some of their newest helicopter releases:

#1. Blade 180 Fusion:
-The helicopter was listed as "4S" however the manual stated that it required 3S batteries and a suitable 3S charger. Huge mistake.
-The 180 Fusion product page touts that it uses metal geared 2070 and 2070T servos. The manual states that it uses 2060 and 2065 servos. There is also no part listing on the website under the 180 Fusion parts listing to buy a new servo. It appears that the 2070 and 2070T are not even listed anywhere on the Horizon website.
-Comb through the 180 Fusion manual and you will quickly see that it is just a revamped 180CFX manual. The problem is that they only updated a few of the parts and changed some of the photos. A view of the parts listing in the manual will show a slew of parts for the 180CFX which are not compatible with the 180 Fusion (it even lists the stock canopy for the Fusion as the 180CFX canopy - what an oversight!).
-The servo horn on the tail servo on the 180 Fusion comes from the factory chopped off! This is a brand new product. If it needs a smaller servo horn, make a new one. Don't reuse old parts and cut them to fit.
-The tail servo pushrod guides on the 180 Fusion have no way of being secured to the boom. They slide around and have to be readjusted constantly unless you want to add a small dab of glue. Not very practical and this could have easily been corrected by using a clamping screw on the guides.

#2 Blade Nano S2:
-After being released only mere weeks ago, Blade has discontinued a vital part (BLH3308 - Servo pushrod set).
-The S2 manual shows that the tail boom replacement part number is BLH2406 (nCPS Tail Boom). This is not compatible with the S2 which must use Part # BLH3302 (nCPX Tail Boom)

I contacted Blade around a week ago to inform them about the misinformation in the 180 Fusion manual pertaining to the battery. To their credit, it was updated fairly quickly and reposted on their site. To their discredit, the rest of the manual is RIDDLED with mistakes which call for wrong parts numbers and incorrect information. I understand that they wanted to save time by rehashing the 180CFX manual but these mistakes will cost consumers time and money after they buy the incorrect parts because of Blade's carelessness and manual errors.

I contacted them again today to go over the issues listed above and the tech sounded baffled when told all of this information. Wouldn't you expect that they would be reviewing their product even after release to see if something is amiss or if something needs fixing? I guess they wait on the customers to inform them.

*After a call back I was told that they will more than likely be releasing a manual addendum for the 180 Fusion due to all of the mistakes. I was also informed that the Nano S2 pushrods being discontinued was done in error and that it will be corrected. As for the insecure pushrod guides for the 180 Fusion, I was told that they didn't think they were really needed on a heli this small. I have to disagree, Blade. Hopefully RKH or MH release better pushrod guides for the 180.

Last edited by Chris1683; 05-29-2019 at 08:57 PM..
Chris1683 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2019, 11:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sadly enough...the explanation is fairly simple

Horizon Hobby is a large global enterprise with many departments

It is no surprise at all that the techs who answer the phone are baffled...they know better but the IT guys who do the website are the culprits...and they can only use database info

For years...and even occasionally now...the V1 mCPX 3-n-1 board has been the standard picture...even for the V2 board

I have notified HH several times thru ebay but it never gets fully updated...HH and vendors alike pull pics from the website

Of relative importance is the fact that less than 2% of global sales is CP heli's...not very high on the totem pole

It would be a HF cross-posting infraction to post the OP info to the "What heli do you want next" thread...but a PM to one of the Blade Reps might get them to take a look

And possibly address the issues in the thread

*Edit - I tend to agree on the pushrod guides...not really needed on a heli this small and can lead to strain on the tail servo...a tiny dab of medium CA left to cure overnight should solve it if you insist on using them
Lompma, Number and Mrowka like this.

Last edited by JonJet; 05-29-2019 at 11:45 AM..
JonJet is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2019, 11:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

You left out they had listed the Nano CPS tail assy as the replacement for the S on the site as well. That one has the wrong plug. The CPX assy can be used but it's plug is angled 90 degrees unlike the S. It has now been corrected as I just checked. I know folks who bought the CPS one with the wrong plug and weren't happy.

There is a guy on RCG who recently posted a video who is part of the HH manuals team. Maybe we should send him some PM's ?? His nym is aaronredbaron if you want to contact him there. Post link: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...15&postcount=6

Last edited by BrokeDad; 05-29-2019 at 12:25 PM..
BrokeDad is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2019, 12:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (505).jpg
Views:	142
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	795615  
Buzzing Around is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2019, 12:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJet View Post
*Edit - I tend to agree on the pushrod guides...not really needed on a heli this small and can lead to strain on the tail servo...a tiny dab of medium CA left to cure overnight should solve it if you insist on using them
It would be nice to use them since they are included and can help keep the pushrod in line but who wants to start glueing a brand new heli? I will see if I have some screws later than can correct the issue.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1683 View Post
Wouldn’t a pushrod that is bent out of alignment put more strain on the servo? I agree that it is a fairly simple fix with some glue but who wants to start glueing things on a brand new heli?
A bent pushrod will not be corrected by the pushrod guides...

As stated...it will cause more strain simply because the guide it there trying to correct a mechanical issue that it simply cannot fix

More strain? Not likely unless it's in the shape of a Z
Old 05-29-2019, 12:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJet View Post
A bent pushrod will not be corrected by the pushrod guides...

As stated...it will cause more strain simply because the guide it there trying to correct a mechanical issue that it simply cannot fix

More strain? Not likely unless it's in the shape of a Z
I will have to upload some photos later of the issue so you can see what I mean. What happens is every time you touch the pushrod guides on the boom (which happens quite a bit from handling) the pushrod gets twisted out of proportion and is no longer straight. Since there are two guides that are both loose and not able to be secured, they end up making the pushrod twist / bend in several directions before reaching the tail case.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I will have to upload some photos later of the issue so you can see what I mean. What happens is every time you touch the pushrod guides on the boom (which happens quite a bit from handling) the pushrod gets twisted out of proportion and is no longer straight. Since there are two guides that are both loose and not able to be secured, they end up making the pushrod twist / bend in several directions before reaching the tail case.
I know, it's a brand new heli. But maybe a CF pushrod will eliminate any need for the guides.

I have to admit, I've been pining for an updated 180 for months, now. But all these niggling issues are a strong motivator to just stick with my Oxy2s, at least for the time being. All the same, I'm glad that manufacturers are still producing high-performance micro-helis.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
I have to admit, I've been pining for an updated 180 for months, now. But all these niggling issues are a strong motivator to just stick with my Oxy2s, at least for the time being. All the same, I'm glad that manufacturers are still producing high-performance micro-helis.
I actually love the 180 Fusion and the S2. They are both great additions to the current line up. My main issue is before they crank out another release they should take the time to make sure everything is on point. Itís much easier than playing catch up after the fact.
acidkindred likes this.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good to hear you're loving your Fusion 180 -- I've been loving my S2, as well.
acidkindred likes this.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

One thing HF has that HH tech support doesn't is all of us. Think of all the things we've solved for them and others. I still keep finding people who are getting messed up 230S radio configs because of AUX 2 not being properly handled. Of course HH says they will be removing that as a factor in a future firmware update.
navigator2011 and Chris1683 like this.
BrokeDad is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2019, 04:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Blade is probably the only company I can think of that perfectly hits that newbie gap here in the US. They are a US-based company, and their models hit the perfect sweet spots. Before the internet rage it was actually pretty easy to find parts at the local HobbyTown USA.

If only they took more care into these things. It doesn't really take much for them and their team pilots to check this stuff.

It's sad that they just see that the things sell well because they are good products at the core. So they prefer to release them, take the money and move on to the next product. Then let the Helifreak beta team and good intentioned pilots let them all that is wrong and fix some of it. Or wait for a new revision and fix the real core stuff.

It's a shame really they could be so much better and it doesn't take much. The product is really good. The S2 behaves really well and is perfect for the absolute newbie. Then the 230S v2 is another amazing newbie product. Just those two justify them being on the industry but they also have other good models. Actually the S2 and 230 could take someone from total newbie to ready for a kit heli and sport flying proficiency.

If they fixed all these small items I am pretty sure they could have more pilots grow into their line and not go into kit helis for much longer. They kind of want to do this with the Fusion line but with this stuff it's hard to see them as viable and much better to go with an actual kit heli after you got the basics.

The price is hard to beat but it comes a time where you rather jump into kits to avoid all those little annoying details.
Team Aeropanda / Podcast host Skids Up
toadiscoil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2019, 05:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here is what I was referring to on the 180 Fusion:

Before:

After you accidentally move the pushrod guides from handling:
Thomas.Heiss likes this.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's actually a pretty dumb design. But pretty inexpensive likely. Agreed a bit of CA or some adhesive should do the trick.

The better design would be to just make the boom not round like Oxy so then those guides would be "keyed" and they couldn't move. They would move across the length of the boom but would not rotate and this would not happen.
Team Aeropanda / Podcast host Skids Up
toadiscoil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2019, 12:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadiscoil View Post
That's actually a pretty dumb design. But pretty inexpensive likely. Agreed a bit of CA or some adhesive should do the trick.

The better design would be to just make the boom not round like Oxy so then those guides would be "keyed" and they couldn't move. They would move across the length of the boom but would not rotate and this would not happen.
I am surprised it's still a "wire" like the 180CFX...

Most of My 180CFX's got the Lynx Stretch kits with a single thicker guide that has a screw to tighten...

But the pushrod is CF with a ball link in the kit

Chris...
If you like I can set you up with the Lynx versions of the pushrod and guide - ball link too - I assume the pushrod length for the 180CFX stretch version should be similar to the Fusion 180
Old 05-30-2019, 07:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

JonJet, I am unfamiliar with the tail boom from the CFX but wouldn’t it be a different diameter since the Fusion is now belt driven where the CFX had a torque tube?
Old 05-30-2019, 08:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
JonJet, I am unfamiliar with the tail boom from the CFX but wouldn’t it be a different diameter since the Fusion is now belt driven where the CFX had a torque tube?
A definite possibility...maybe someone will chime in with an answer but Microheli and Lynx had a belt kit for the 180CFX

Since the Fusion 180 does not have boom supports...it may not be the same tail boom size

Last edited by JonJet; 05-30-2019 at 10:29 PM..
JonJet is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2019, 08:58 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

TBH, this sounds pretty typical. As someone said, rush to put it out and make it better based on complaints - eventually. Many companies spend over a year test flying new machines before release. Seems like they just built the belted tail, added it, and put it out without much testing or update to the manual.

I like that Blade brings many newbies into the hobby, but I wonder how many are turned away with all the problems they likely have to correct themselves, like many of us did. Not everyone has the determination to fix something and just wants stuff to work like it is supposed to.

Really didn't like their advertisement that this was the first sub 200 belted heli. Most know that is false. I think they could have just said the smallest belted heli and been good.

EGODRIFT Team, Lynx/Oxy Field Rep
jrman83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2019, 08:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrman83 View Post
TBH, this sounds pretty typical. As someone said, rush to put it out and make it better based on complaints - eventually. Many companies spend over a year test flying new machines before release. Seems like they just built the belted tail, added it, and put it out without much testing or update to the manual.

I like that Blade brings many newbies into the hobby, but I wonder how many are turned away with all the problems they likely have to correct themselves, like many of us did. Not everyone has the determination to fix something and just wants stuff to work like it is supposed to.

Really didn't like their advertisement that this was the first sub 200 belted heli. Most know that is false. I think they could have just said the smallest belted heli and been good.

Blade is not the only one pushing product out fast with out testing thoroughly , just found out I canít fly my OXy 5 until I get one way system replaced .. but at least there owning up to it and grounding all OXy 5s until they check for correct color one way Sytems , this is not the first recall for either . Iím mean time I fly my Fusion 180 and Fusion 480 .. I love both of them , but I like my OXys also ..
ks9818 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2019, 10:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks9818 View Post
Blade is not the only one pushing product out fast with out testing thoroughly , just found out I canít fly my OXy 5 until I get one way system replaced .. but at least there owning up to it and grounding all OXy 5s until they check for correct color one way Sytems , this is not the first recall for either . Iím mean time I fly my Fusion 180 and Fusion 480 .. I love both of them , but I like my OXys also ..
Sort of the same, but not really. The Oxy 5 was tested for over a year, put through the paces by their pros. The issue was a production issue, not a fault to the model.

Many systems have issues and even heavy testing can't account for production problems. The Goblin Kraken has several that they're addressing and doing right by the customer. Oxy is doing no differently. Blade doesn't handle things quite that way.

EGODRIFT Team, Lynx/Oxy Field Rep
jrman83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in