Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 130X

130X Blade 130X Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2019, 07:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tail won't hold, gears are fine

Hi all, I haven't flown my stock 130x in 6+ months, but recently I flew it again and the tail doesn't hold very well at all. I can hover and yaw around, but any kind of actual flight or going inverted causes the tail to blow out. The gears and tail slider appear to be fine, in fact they are new. I have replaced the C gear and tail slider many times, so I kinda know what to look out for there. There is no slipping when I turn the main rotor by hand and hold the tail rotor/gear and I can clearly see the D shaped hole in the C gear.

Any idea what I should look at next? The tail servo seems to be working, best as I can tell. It responds to my rudder inputs. I am going to try increasing the gyro gain on the rudder after my lipo is charged, but I'm not hopeful that is going to fix anything... I've never had to adjust it before.

Thanks.
Malevolence is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2019, 09:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I put it at +5 gain and flew 2 batteries. It seems like the rudder input just randomly stops working. It flew fine for a while, inverted and everything else.. and then every so often it was like the tail servo was just ignore my inputs. There is no mechanical binding that I can find. I have an old 130x I'm going to try and swap out the tail servo and see if it makes a difference.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Probably the tail servo is about done,best to change it out.
Malevolence and Mrowka like this.
Castle / ar7210bx / Microbeast plus / msh ubrain 2 micro / dx8 g2 / accurc sim
Helithunder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2019, 10:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Had something similar that turned out to be a bad tail servo. I have also seen issues with a tail pitch mechanism that binds up (and this will quickly roast a stock tail servo).

Make sure everything slides nice and smooth from the servo all the way back.

If that doesn't work, replace the tail servo - I have seen your problem caused by tail servos that were weak but would still move, making the issue harder to diagnose. JonJet would advise you to replace the stock tail servo with a DS76T while you are at it.
Malevolence likes this.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the replies, going to swap out the tail servo today. The DS76T you suggested is currently out of stock at the sites I checked, and looks like it will take a little reading/research to make that work.

Apparently my posts have to get approved, so I still have one queued up that was written before your replies... lest anyone be confused.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had a similar issue a while back wit one of my 130X's. I could not figure it out for a long time. It turned out that the small notch on the bottom of the tail pitch slider had broken off. Everything flew fairly decent in hover but as soon as you gave it some collective it would blow out the tail.
Chris1683 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2019, 11:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malevolence View Post
Thanks for the replies, going to swap out the tail servo today. The DS76T you suggested is currently out of stock at the sites I checked, and looks like it will take a little reading/research to make that work.

Apparently my posts have to get approved, so I still have one queued up that was written before your replies... lest anyone be confused.
Plenty of availability here...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/E-Flite-Bla...ss!58103!US!-1

Something in the neighborhood of 12-15 approved posts will get you out of the spambot delay

Last edited by JonJet; 06-15-2019 at 11:31 AM..
JonJet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2019, 12:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks all, I swapped in the tail servo from my old 130x and that did not fix the issue. I suppose there is a decent chance that servo was bad too. The little tab on the bottom of the slider is in tact, it is a new slider.

Thanks for the ebay link, I'll give it a shot. In the meantime I just picked up a new blade 180 fusion, but I still want to get the 130x flying again.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did you make sure that there is no binding anywhere in the tail slider/pushrod mechanism?

One thing I learned is that the stock pushrod guide is NOT symmetrical, in the sense that the guide itself is offset slightly to one side. That means that the pushrod operates more smoothly when the guide is on the correct side, but that the pushrod can bind when the guide is on the wrong side.

Also, what kind of tail blowouts are you getting? Does it happen under specific situations? If so, which ones? Have you tried lowering rudder gain? I have found that some 130Xs like less gain than factory, but I am yet to find one that likes more rudder gain than factory.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is no binding that I can find, just some play between the push rod and servo. Both my stock 130x tail servos have the same amount of play. The tail seems to randomly and intermittently stop responding to rudder input. For example, I can fly gentle forward circles in my yard and at some point it starts to piro on it's own and doesn't respond to rudder for a few seconds, but then it goes back to normal. One time it was spinning on the ground when I was spooling up to lift off, so I held the model in my hand with throttle at 0, and moved the rudder stick left and right until it started responding again, then I set it back down and it took off normally. I can fly it normally doing flips and inverted hovers, and the tail holds fine, until it randomly doesn't. It does not seem to be related to any flight forces it can fail just tail in hovering, but then hold and work normally 3 seconds later while flying backwards.

I took some pics last night, not the best and doesn't show the guides you were asking about, but I'm not at home to take other pics or video right now.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I increased the rudder gain +5 but it did not make the failures better or worse. I have never had to adjust the gain before and have not tried less gain. The model is very dusty and probably has dust inside the servo, so I'm going to try a brand new servo and see how that goes.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malevolence View Post
I increased the rudder gain +5 but it did not make the failures better or worse. I have never had to adjust the gain before and have not tried less gain. The model is very dusty and probably has dust inside the servo, so I'm going to try a brand new servo and see how that goes.
If it's not your servo I would check the servo connector on the main board itself and see if the solder joints appear cracked at all. It could very well be an issue with the main board since it is happening at random times.
Chris1683 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2019, 10:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another thing to look for is vibrations confusing the gyro. In that case, reducing gyro gain may help.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I noticed the collar on your tail rotor shaft is on backwards. The cone end should go towards the bearing. The way it is would allow the collar to rub against the tail mount and thus could be a source of vibes.

Sent from my LGL63BL using Tapatalk
inganeer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2019, 10:46 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did you try balancing the tail?

If that doesn't work, I have seen vibrations caused by, among other things, a warped main gear.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by inganeer View Post
I noticed the collar on your tail rotor shaft is on backwards. The cone end should go towards the bearing. The way it is would allow the collar to rub against the tail mount and thus could be a source of vibes.

Sent from my LGL63BL using Tapatalk
Good lookin out... I will flip that around. I haven't balanced the tail, but I'll give that a try too and lower the gain, and get a new servo next payday. Hopefully those steps will fix it, I'll post an update when I install a new servo.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:03 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

FWIW, I advise changing one thing at a time.
Ah Clem and Malevolence like this.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am just getting back into helis, so I reviewed basic tail setup. The neutral pitch is wrong, it has a lot of left pitch... ie: the opposite of what it should be. There is also a ton of slop and the right bearing in the tail housing isn't seated right, causing a lot of slop and tail shaft wobbling.

Tonight I'm going to set the tail pitch to a couple degrees right, and re-seat that bearing. The servo connector has a lot of slop in it, so I'm definitely replacing it on payday, and I guess I need a servo mount too like a Lynx or Microheli. I may also get the microheli metal tail kit. I don't think I can really get the tail blades balanced until I fix that bearing and tighten up the slop.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

God I'm getting flashbacks of the 130x tail..lol

IIRC the 180 was much more reliable, and then the 230's with a motor driven tail was such a nice change.

I loved the way the 130 flew when it was right, but that tail would eat itself sometimes..lol I don't miss it.
Malevolence likes this.

IF IT CAN'T BE FIXED WITH DENTAL FLOSS, THEN IT CAN'T BE FIXED..LOL
Liduno is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2019, 07:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

The tail is pretty weak. I have stripped out probably 10 of those C gears... but that's partly because I crash, but sometimes I crash because the tail blows out hah.

I took it apart and had a new pitch slider laying around so I put on a new one. And a dab of CA on the C gear. I set the pitch to a few degrees right (positive?) pitch. The bearings and everything else was fine. It is flying back normally now, had to turn the gain back down to stock cuz it had tail wag since I turned it up to +5 during this troubleshooting. The new tail slider seemed to get rid of a lot of slop... maybe the small bottom post on the old slider was bent or something.

It feels pretty under powered, I think I need some new batteries. I'm running some old Turnigy 2s 450mah packs. I have some new eflite packs that are the same, but they are slightly heavier and wider. I'm going to try them out.

I plan to get at minimum, a metal tail slider and metal tail gears. Probably the new DS76T servo and mount too. I may spring for the entire metal tail, but I don't want to needlessly add a bunch of weight either. But the stock slider is junk, I've trashed several of those because of that stupid tab.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in