Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite)

Blade Helicopters (eFlite) Blade Helicopters (eFlite) CP, CX, mCX CX II, CX III. and others

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Stormbringer
  • 1 Post By mingledorffw
  • 1 Post By Thomas.Heiss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2019, 04:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thinking about getting back into helis

It is currently June 2019. Last time I flew I was capable of mild 3D and got my basic orientations on lock.

I am looking for a BNF helicopter, not too old, not too big or expensive and easy/cheap to fix.

So far I feel like the Blade 230S V2 seems like a good option for getting back into it.
An Oxy 2 could be nice as well but it would probably be twice as expensive overall.

Thanks for any responses!
Reymundo911 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2019, 05:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My votes for the 230S V2 very nice and stable in safe mode
But the 230 should help you get your orientations back
Sorry no experiance of the Oxy helis
Reymundo911 likes this.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 230s is a great heli, no doubt. Great learning platform. Used to own 2 of them myself.

Since you seem like you would be a little more advanced, albeit needing to knock the rust off maybe, I would say move up to a kit. If the Oxy 2 is of your liking, there are more than enough in the classifieds set to go with spektrum radios along with a fully adjustable FBL. Nothing can beat the durability of the Oxy 2, not even the S2, and way more powerful than a 230. And once you break into kits, the rest is history, literally. If you like Oxy, maybe an Oxy 3 or 4?

Proud to have started off with Blade, but they seem to be happy locking down the beginner world or someone who doesn't wish to advance and learn into building or tuning. There really is a whole other world out there. Not knocking that, but breaking out was the best thing I ever did.

EGODRIFT Team, Lynx/Oxy Field Rep
jrman83 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2019, 05:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ...

I took a heli break one time, got back in with the 230s V1 and immediately sold it and went larger. My vote would be the Blade 360 CFX 3 cell. I think it would fit the bill. Plus you can get 7-8 minute flight times with a 2600 mah glacier lipo. Good luck.
jasond1979 likes this.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reymundo911 View Post
flew I was capable of mild 3D and got my basic orientations on lock.
May I ask you what heli models did you fly concretely?
450/360/380? 500-550? 600-700? More little?

Quote:
I am looking for a BNF helicopter, not too old, not too big or expensive and easy/cheap to fix.
The newest Blade is the "Blade Fusion 180" (4s).
There might be coming an "Align 300x" or something similar in size - there is one posted picture....

If want to have very cheap repair costs: XK K110 (1s, 60g, BL).

Everything above the 30-60g weight will IMHO not handle crashes that well, that might include the Oxy2, 230s and others helis (even 130X size).

The original Walkera V120D02s (1s) had about 99g.
Sorry, never have flown it on 1s...my 2s project is not going too well for years...but I will be in the range of 120/130-150g.

The updated Blade 230s version is V2 but has the same H3050MG servos (cheaper plastic case, bottom pads easily breake when unscrew...at least this happened on my H3060MG tail servo; the DS76 chassis were much better...I have those servos on my 4503D).

There also is the "Blade Fusion 360" which is one of the newest models....but a heavier heli model like that (even applies 360CFX) is only good if you do not constantly crash it anymore.

All newer Blade BNF helis use their proprietary FBL controllers.

If you have any chance, you may want to go with an established FBL unit like MSH brain, Spirit System & Co....might depend on your budget.

Quote:
So far I feel like the Blade 230S V2 seems like a good option for getting back into it.
Be warned: The Blade 230s uses the red JST-BEC plug!

If it were me, I would search for something which has (on 3-4s) an blue EC-3 connector, red Ultra Dean (ribbed/fluted version) or yellow XT60.
The green MPX connectors are also great (and easy to solder).

With Blade products any ESC/board soldering means: Warranty void!! :-(

My LHS got multiple packages of the 230s V2 in the last days.
If all works when you take it home and maiden flight, great....I would probably test it all locally in their store and decide after I checked everything carefully and have seen that the test hover works 100%.

But do not wonder if you crash and the tail motor and the proprietary dual ESC creates any trouble....those look to be the most expensive parts on that heli if you need to replace both components.

Sorry, I have no idea how good the main brushless motor is.
The 4503D motor had a bearing issue even I did not fly it that much.

The great thing about the Blade 4503D/450X V1/V2 were the working tails....I think it is the same with the 360CFX/Fusion 360....

The other thing is, that the three Sektrum H3050MG cyclic servos are not a KST DS215MG V3 (titanium gears) or KST MS-320 (poti less cyclic servo).
So you might have to replace at a given time which adds to the total cost.
You can read the horror stories about the H3050MG and how much they can take with the "Blade 270 Fusion" series where several pilots had tip overs; looks like that servo is not holding too well when something like that happens.

If you think about often crashing the 230s:
Don't buy it yet for reasons of weight. Get a XK K110 (BL, 1s, 60g) first if it is not too small for you.

Quote:
An Oxy 2 could be nice as well but it would probably be twice as expensive overall.
At least you could choose your own - non-proprietary- FBL.

And you could use a high quality main motor (good bearings).
And then you could directly go the tail pitch belt route.
And as you have to configure it for yourself, you would put better cyclic servos in it from the beginning.
jasond1979 likes this.
Walkera Devo 10/DeviationTX (12CH DSMx & telemetry)...Ex-DX8...Blade 4503D...Walkera V120D02s...Blade 200QX BL Quad...StrykerQ (LEDs, M2 tuning)...Ex-NanoCPX...Ex-120SR...Ex-MPX EGP...PPZ P51-D Mustang...PZ Wildcat (searching fuselage-firewall)
Thomas.Heiss is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2019, 06:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormbringer View Post
My votes for the 230S V2 very nice and stable in safe mode
But the 230 should help you get your orientations back
Sorry no experiance of the Oxy helis
im getting back into Helis after 10 or so years im 45 now and finally have the time I need. Last Helis were 2 Min air Furys , im not sure what my skills will look like but I jumped head first into a Goblin thunder sport its on its way. Seem like a great Heli from what I've seen ive never flown Sab so we shall see.
Fastnine is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in