Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > LiIon, LiPo, NiCd & NiMh General

LiIon, LiPo, NiCd & NiMh General General Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2019, 10:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Please help with packs strategy

Hi guys. Please advice about packs - I'm missing experience with Lipos here.

The situation is the following. I have / will have 2 helicopters:
  • 570 with 12s system, running 3300 mAh packs. I have 5 of them (I mean packs).
  • 700 (I don't have yet, but plan to build this year), running 12s 5000 mAh packs. I plan to have 4 or 5 of them.

I want to have a possibility to make ~10 flights when I go flying. This is what I typically do.

Somtimes I will go with both helis, sometimes only with 570. Maybe sometimes with 700 alone (but here I expect 10 flights might be impossible).

Now, if I go with both helis, this is easy - I just bring all the packs and fly both helis. 5x with 570, 5x with 700, lots of fun

But if I go with 570 only, I need more power to recharge in the field. I don't want to run a generator, and mains are not available, so I want to recharge from other Lipos.

Then I consider solution 1 -->
  • Bring all 3300 packs as well as some 5000 packs (from 700), all fully charged.
  • If 3300 gets empty, I can recharge them from 700 packs in the field and have many flights.

But, how much am I wearing my packs for the 700 this way? If I use them as a power bank and discharge relatively slowly, do they get same usage as if I would fly them? Does this makes sense at all?

Solution 2 -->
  • I can buy some huge packs to use as power banks. There are some 20 or 30 Ah available.
  • If you compare price / Ah, these huge packs are ~2 times cheaper than normal 45C flying packs.
  • They have 15C or 25C discharge rate, but this is more than enough.
  • Then I can bring them with whichever heli I use and recharge from these biggies.

But this of course is more cost at the beginning, and I'm not sure if it will pay off at the end.

Please advice, I'm confused

PS. I'm from Europe, so packs availability or price ratios might be different here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2019, 11:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Some people use marine/deep cycle batteries to power their charger. I’ve never looked into them, but it seems easier to me than a generator.

Look into the watt-hour rating and see if they’d be sufficient. Then see how much charging current and watts you can get at 6S from your charger if you’re running the charger at 12V or whatever the voltage is.

Oh, I remember seeing a sticky somewhere about how to use marine batteries.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here. https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=374446
Old 07-09-2019, 12:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I forgot to say, I want to use LIPOs because of weight. I made some LiFePO4 and they work fine, but I want more energy in less weight. I live in a city and have to carry this to my car.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

2 deep cycles in my truck (therefore no power supply or generator) gets me around 10 G500 flights or 7 G700 flights or a mix between the two.

And it's CHEAP. Because I only need on pack per heli. I charge at 3X so while I fly one I fly the other.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster View Post
2 deep cycles in my truck (therefore no power supply or generator) gets me around 10 G500 flights or 7 G700 flights or a mix between the two.

And it's CHEAP. Because I only need on pack per heli. I charge at 3X so while I fly one I fly the other.
But you have to recharge these deep cycles at some point right? In my case this means carrying them back to the appartment. They must weight a ton.

Recharging while driving will not work, because when weather is good, I fly much more than drive. I have 15 mins drive the the flying field and a just a short walk to work, So my helis get more running time than my car 👍
Old 07-10-2019, 01:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have a single unit dual deep cycle charger I keep in the trunk too at all times.. (like for a bass boat) so I just pass an orange extension cord into the truck and close it as far as it can go. No one is going to steel deep cycles (if you don't have a garage). Done overnight. I never take them out during the flying season. Probably 20kg each I would say.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster View Post
I have a single unit dual deep cycle charger I keep in the trunk too at all times.. (like for a bass boat) so I just pass an orange extension cord into the truck and close it as far as it can go. No one is going to steel deep cycles (if you don't have a garage). Done overnight. I never take them out during the flying season. Probably 20kg each I would say.
The problem isn't with stealing. I park at a public garage hall and there's no electricity available. So I couldn't recharge overnight.

Of course there are some ceiling lights there... hmm I have to chech if this could be used somehow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in