Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos > MSH Mini Protos

MSH Mini Protos MSH Mini Protos Helicopter Support Forum

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2019, 03:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Quick transatlantic spruce-up

I recently bought some bits on HF from FNFAL, and have just got around to giving my M-P a quick make-over.

New Lynx head from Steve, changed FBL and installed FRSky Rx to move the heli onto my QX7 from my DX7, it's only taken about 5 flights to tweak the different FBL and she's now flying beautifully after the update

Thanks Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MP Lynx head.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	812209   Click image for larger version

Name:	MP Lynx head 2.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	812211  
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2019, 01:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Next thing sorted - for a while my M-P has had a tail "shimmy", not as bad as a wag, but just a gentle wave side to side about once per second about 3/4" (20mm).

On investigation I remembered that there was a fair amount of slop in the mechanism (it's pretty old now and has had lots of abuse) at some stage I had replaced the tail slider lever with a Lynx version and what has happened is that the 2 little bolts that go through the lever and fit into the ring had worn - they are 1.84mm thick on one dimension, but only 1.4mm on the worn side. What happens is that the ring is on the tail slider and turns with the slider acting as a grinding wheel on the pins (even though it is mounted via a bearing).

I had a spare lever from Lynx's sale, but thought that I would try something as a long-shot - I removed both bolts and fitted them in the other hole - they were both at 90 degrees to their previous orientation and back to minimal slack

I've also put a dollop of Araldite (it's epoxy - like JB Weld) so that now the ring will stay stationary but the shaft will turn on the bearing inside the ring. Anyway - the shimmy has now gone - the tail always held fine but now the shimmy has gone also.

Next step - some telemetry...
Old 09-03-2019, 08:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not sure where you put the epoxy but good job!
Old 09-04-2019, 02:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyuh1 View Post
Not sure where you put the epoxy but good job!
Thanks - here you go - the shiny bit that I have highlighted, in the ring. Now the epoxy press against the pins stops the ring from rotating.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tail slider M-P.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	369.3 KB
ID:	813077  
Old 09-04-2019, 09:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Interesting! I have one of these that I'm going to resurrect this winter.

Thanks!
Old 09-05-2019, 01:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyuh1 View Post
Interesting! I have one of these that I'm going to resurrect this winter.

Thanks!
Excellent - I look forward to hearing about it
Old 09-08-2019, 12:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Telemetry a go-go

I have been using a FrSky Taranis QX7 for about 6 months or so - one of the reasons that I moved some of my models on to the QX7 is that as well as low-cost receivers and sensors it is very easy to add external sensors as well.

I have been using Arduino boards with some software developed by DAnielGA https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=835243 it started just using data output from the HobbyWing ESCs, but Daniel has also added PWM inputs so it can be used with any ESC even without an RPM output.

The Arduino Nano costs about $2 each, plus some resistors (about 20c each) and if you need the Phase Sensor another $4, the Nano + Phase Sensor + reisistors and wiring weighed in at 9 grams. Basically the Arduino reads the voltage from cables connected to the battery leads, and the phase sensor connects onto 2 of the motor leads.

I now have readings for battery volatge and headspeed on my Tx screen, plus I have a telemetry rule that speaks the battery voltage level every 6 seconds once it is below a set level for 4 seconds.

It's not my tidiest wiring, but I'll tidy it up shortly (probably )

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ard 1.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	813897   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ard 2.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	813899   Click image for larger version

Name:	Arduino installed.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	813901  
Old 09-09-2019, 10:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi M,

That Lynx topper looks good. The DFC flies more crisp IMHO, but is less forgiving. Best for more developed pilots like yourself. Also, I did notice somewhere along the timeline, MSH must have changed the inside swash balls. P/N is the same but post profile is different. In fact, at certain accumulative (cyc+col) the new left ball allows the rod-end more freedom...especially with the DFC.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190909_112449893.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	814145  

Last edited by FNFAL; 09-09-2019 at 10:46 AM..
FNFAL is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2019, 01:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNFAL View Post
Hi M,

That Lynx topper looks good. The DFC flies more crisp IMHO, but is less forgiving. Best for more developed pilots like yourself. Also, I did notice somewhere along the timeline, MSH must have changed the inside swash balls. P/N is the same but post profile is different. In fact, at certain accumulative (cyc+col) the new left ball allows the rod-end more freedom...especially with the DFC.
Yeah - I like how the DFC flies, my other stretched M-P already has the Lynx head and I have loads of spares for it from the Lynx sell-off .

I had forgotten about the change - that photos shows the difference, I was just lazy and kept my old swash on there so I'll have a look at my balls
Old 09-28-2019, 12:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Next installment ...

I've put about 20-odd flights on the M-P recently and noticed on Friday that the motor was very rough - after stripping it down it turns out that the top bearing has disintegrated

I tried putting in a new bearing, but it seems that the bearing holder is a little distorted after installing a new bearing the motor is still very rough and it appears that the magnets are hitting the poles.

The closest suitable motor that I have is a 6S 1700 SK3 motor that was in my Tarot 450Pro, I have fitted the long motor shaft from the 6S MSH motor (fortunately both the same shaft diameter), and fitted my Lynx solid pinion. Only flown it in the garden so far to reset the Gov Store - but it seems to be fine ...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	new motor.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	818157  
Old 09-28-2019, 08:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Although the stock 6S motor can "get by", for whatever reason, motor temperatures IMHO are too high for the long term...no matter settings or loads. I've noticed that with some Scorpions motors, they just don't run as efficient at they like to boast - converting precious power into heaters. These higher temps then are cooking the bearings and shortening life.

I will be posting soon the move to the Xnova 2618 motor that can still be found with the "B" Protos shaft at some vendors. I will also avoid the 2520 from Scorpion due to some finicky behavior with some common escs.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

So had a quick trip to the field, and I'm very happy with the new motor - running at 71% / 75% / 79% I get 2900 / 3000 / 3100 headspeeds, spot on for what I want...
Old 09-30-2019, 01:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Always glad to see working solutions to keep these things flying. Amazing the shaft switched-over with ease - lucky. Also impressive the 1700kv motor is allowing to hit your targets.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNFAL View Post
Always glad to see working solutions to keep these things flying. Amazing the shaft switched-over with ease - lucky. Also impressive the 1700kv motor is allowing to hit your targets.
Thanks Steve - really pleased. Gonna have a good look to see if anyone still has the Lynx pinions for sale, might grab a spare ...
Old 11-17-2019, 01:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was out flying yesterday and my tail got caught against a tuft of grass and snapped the tail fin and broke the tail slider. I had been thinking that it was about time that the tail got a bit of attention anyway, so instead of just replacing the broken bits I have installed some of the Lynx upgraded parts that I got in their sale (see above).

So I now have the aluminium tail case, upgraded slider, upgraded tail rotor arms and the aluminium lever - I would have preferred black rotor grips but these were all that they had when I got to the sales . Oh and the tail case came with an different fin, so that is on to replace the broken one.

I'll probably stick some flouro tape onto the fin - but here we are so far....

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tail side 2.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	826505   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail side.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	826507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail top.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	826509  
Old 11-18-2019, 01:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice tail - and I mean that in the most hetero way possible. I think the two-tone looks fine. Hell, I even did a three-tone once (silver, black, red). Keep an eye on the axial spacers if you had to use any. They are soft and do get squished. Give the tail shaft an axial wiggle from time to time to see if there is any axial play. Some of my play actually was from some cross-pin clearance.

So I like to use the metal MSH pulley and put some green Locktite to tie-together the whole tailshaft assembly with the shaft, pulley, cross-pin and sleeve.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I checked the side-play and put in 3 shims, I'll keep an eye on it. I realised half-way through that the old tail had / has the aluminium tail pulley - I might have to swap it back in at some stage...
Old 11-19-2019, 10:57 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

After flying the stock tail for so long, do you notice any differences with the Lynx one?
Old 11-19-2019, 11:11 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah - it's wagging a lot more now

Just need to check whether there tail is binding slightly or if the servo is struggling after it's fight with the ground
Old 11-19-2019, 11:31 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just a hunch, try turning down the gain first.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in