Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > OpenTX Radios

OpenTX Radios OpenTX Radios Discussion and Support Forum

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By K-rash
  • 1 Post By K-rash

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2019, 07:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Jumper T16. open source/open TX help!

In a moment of madness I ordered a Jumper T16. The spec for the money seems unbeatable. I have only had "normal" radio`s up to now.
I have read that "opentx" is for people who like to really personalise the functions and programme many opens BUT this is not easy.
I knew I would never need this AND thought that the basic radio functions would be similar to other radio`s BOY was I wrong.
I can not find any "normal" function options. I can not find servo reverse,servo travel/endpoints, it came mode2 BUT the channels are not in the right order for me, I can not even find how to allocate the channels for sticks! the online manual is 80+ pages ,it shows functions BUT nothing on how to change and the meanings!!
If I want to set the functions up like I would with my broken dx7,is it this hard or am I missing something that I should do with opentx, The Jumper does not even use "proper" open tx so I have read!!!! I am at a lose here,had the radio apx a week and not been able to use it yet,thinking of selling already,
Bugle call is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2019, 08:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't know the Jumper, but I moved from a DX7 (still have half my models on it) to a QX7 earlier this year and it is a STEEP learning curve - however I am now doing things that I could not ever have done on my DX7 (voice prompts, telemetry, Spirit integration etc.).

Can you use Companion with the Jumper?? Can you use standard Opentx model files - if so I can send you some for Gaui X3, Mini Protos, 450 Pro which will get you started....
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2019, 08:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

There are several good model setup walk throughs in this forum. Number posted one and I know that there have been a couple of more since then. Start with those. Work in the companion software. You'll get there. Once it clicks, you will not know how to go back.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

first thing is you have to do is forget everything you think you know about programming a radio.

1. channel order is whatever you want to make it. i know weird. Spektrum is TAER, this comes AETR but again it doesnt matter as you can assign anything in the order you want through the input screen.
2. you can reverse a servo two ways
a. through the mix and make it -100 instead of 100
b. through channel output screen I think its the screen right after the
mix screen. hit enter on the line you want to change, then tab to the little arrows and hit enter

for what it's worth, I had a bit of head scratching as well, but now that I have it, I could NEVER go back to a Spektrum or JR (owned both in the past)

It was a little easier for me, as I had a 5 year layoff from RC and went straight to OpenTx upon returning to the hobby, so the learning curve was a bit shorter as I didn't have to forget anything as it was already forgotten.

As an example of the power of the programming abilities, I can program the radio to give up elevator for launch with a flick of a switch (yeah no biggie) but then as soon as i move the sticks past a set point (a point that I set) it returns the elevator to it's normal position
1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Last edited by AtTheCross; 09-26-2019 at 09:52 AM..
AtTheCross is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2019, 09:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
...Can you use Companion with the Jumper?? Can you use standard Opentx model files - if so I can send you some for Gaui X3, Mini Protos, 450 Pro which will get you started....
Can't use companion as it's not a true OpenTx build as the OP stated, I was in the same boat with the Jumper T12 (wasn't an official build), but I've been following the OpenTx forum on another site and they are now supporting the Jumper T12 FULLY in the newest build which should be release in the next 24hrs.

There's a lot of 'junk' going back and forth between Jumper and the OpenTX devs, the exact same 'junk' that was going back and forth between the devs and Jumper T12 team. However, it has been worked out, so hopefully it will be sorted with the T16 as well.
1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

HA!!! Just read this:

5587 miles from you in
Belgium, Brussels
Joined Jul 2013
345 Posts
From a logistical point of view, the first OpenTX T16 versions (firmware and companion proper support) will be 2.3.1 nightlies thatwill be available after 2.3.0 releases. The first proper release version will be 2.3.1

So the Jumper T16 IS going to be supported, that post is from one of the OpenTX devs
Old 09-26-2019, 03:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys, not being a "true" open TX so therefore not being able to use the companion as not helped,i have read that using a PC is a bit easier at first. The news of new software/firmware with proper Opentx has cheered me up a bit. I took pictures and was about to put it on ebay,I was that fed up with it.
The first thing I wanted/needed to do was the TAER /AETR. I like throttle and rudder on left stick, which it does not have from the factory. I have no idea on that.
I will have a look at a few vids and wait for new download and have a rethink.
I am beginning to think a DX9 would of been better for my skill set BUT the T16 looked so good for the money and the case egonomics I find spot on.
Bugle call is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2019, 03:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

long press enter to get to radio settings you can choose the mode from there, i believe it is the first screen at the bottom.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

any way to display the radio battery voltage on the top bar instead of the batt life bars?

i think i found it

Spartan VX1e, Frsky RX, RT & Zeal Blades MKS/BK, Hobbywing
Danker16 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2019, 03:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWeber View Post
There are several good model setup walk throughs in this forum. Number posted one and I know that there have been a couple of more since then. Start with those. Work in the companion software. You'll get there. Once it clicks, you will not know how to go back. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.helifreak.com/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Thanks for your words of encouragement. I would really like to get a JUMPER T16… But I have NO CLUE about any radios other than SPECTRUM.

Could you post four or five model setup links you referenced that heli pilots could learn the basics of Jumper T16 with? I really don't know where to start with this whole OpenTx+Heli thing and I pray it's not like learning calculus.

Thank you.
onepiece is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2019, 06:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Check the link in my signature. In the thread there's a link to my GitHub page containing all of my models, and the ReadMe has instructions on how to import one of my models into your radio. The T16 runs a version of OpenTX called JumperTX and the models should be compatible.
https://kc3dprint.com - 3D Printing on Demand and Printed RC Helicopter Upgrades
Number is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2020, 04:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

hi number
may I also do the same ? I also need to learn to use the t16 for heli.
but no link visable othe than a 3d print website

thanks

chris
chris-green is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2020, 04:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's in my signature now.

Link here:
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=844783
https://kc3dprint.com - 3D Printing on Demand and Printed RC Helicopter Upgrades
Old 01-04-2020, 04:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

hi number

many thanks
have a good newyear
chris-green is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2020, 06:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got my T16 in the mail yesteray... was happy to discover it has already got open tx installed and is supported by the latest version of companion.... good stuff... should be a great 2nd radio.
AtTheCross likes this.
K-rash is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2020, 08:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-rash View Post
I got my T16 in the mail yesteray... was happy to discover it has already got open tx installed and is supported by the latest version of companion.... good stuff... should be a great 2nd radio.
What version did it come with? OpenTX 2.3.4?

Some sellers of the T16 still list it as coming with JumperTX, and likely still have stock of Jumpers equipped with JTX until they are replaced with OTX-equipped new stock.

Where did you buy it from?
Old 01-09-2020, 08:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

It came with 2.3.2... but 2.3.4 companion is t16 supported, so easy update... I waited until new stock became available, hoping to get opentx, even though the supplier still listed as coming with jumper tx... Phaser fpv, Australia
Number likes this.
K-rash is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in