Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Earlyriser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2017, 03:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default DX8 gen 2 range issues

Any one else with a bad DX8?

I thought I had a servo fail on my OXY 3 but it was a brownout. I then went to fly my Alien quad and at 30 feet away dropped out of the sky. I , replaced receiver and range tested same thing, then different Quad. At 20 to 30 feet I have signal loss my radio a less than a year old. The is the 2nd dx8 that has failed on me. a 1st gen and now this 2nd gen is going back to HH.
It really sucks this is because repairs are not cheap.
I may have to lower my standards and buy a FrSky Taranis as most of the Quad guys fly them with better range. I have tried them but, they feel very cheap and the gimbals are really bad.
I hope HH takes care of my radio. As once again I eat the cost of repairs on my Oxy3. The quad only had 1 bad prop.
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2017, 09:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are your recievers being covered up by carbon shadowig? Are the antennas mounted in clean air so your Transmitter can read them? If you are having brownout issues, I would investigate your selection of BEC! Is your BEC providing enough power for your equipment and flight style?
ssschmidt4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2017, 10:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I have tested 4 heli's and 3 quads with all very similar results in two different places. I did a range test with full power not in low range test power( less than 30 to 40 feet) dropped out.My quads are setup as shoe glue where it comes out so they will not break off then run in tube with the last 2.5 inches showing 1 is at 90 and the other is at 45. If it was 1 model I would chase the BEC but, and after testing heli's and quads that have worked fine till know points me to the radio. It was bought on Aug never drop and well taken care of. I'm more concerned that if they find the issue that it happens again. My first radio two years ago cost me a high dollar Heli. This time very little damage but, I'm not made of money. If I crash it's on me if my equipment fails time after time it makes me think it's time for a change in equipment. I just want to know how many other people have issues. What are the odds two radios within a two year time frame both had RF boards go. That tells me they thier is an issue.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm now convinced I have range issues with my DX8 G2 that I bought in Jan2020. It started this summer with my Blade Conspiracy losing control even before losing vtx signal. Recently I lost control of the last 4 plane flights, all 4 of moderate, unobstructed LOS range. These involve two different planes, two different receives and ESCs.
Earlyriser is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2020, 08:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyriser View Post
I'm now convinced I have range issues with my DX8 G2 that I bought in Jan2020. It started this summer with my Blade Conspiracy losing control even before losing vtx signal. Recently I lost control of the last 4 plane flights, all 4 of moderate, unobstructed LOS range. These involve two different planes, two different receives and ESCs.
Have you put it into low power mode and tested to see how far away you can walk and still have control of the model on the bench? There is a dedicated low power method on the TX just for this test to identify signal range issues

On another note, the new DX8 models have diversity antennas in them. The one you see on top and another sideways through the handle. There have been a few reports by others of removing the back and finding an antenna connection loose from the board. They are easy to see and diagnose on your own, but first do a proper range test per the manual to see if that is even the issue

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	886989  

Last edited by Xrayted; 10-23-2020 at 08:32 AM..
Xrayted is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2020, 12:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a DX8 G2 purchased in August 2019. No issues yet, i am flying a 600 sized scale bird at pretty long distance, and a 360 sized scale bird at medium distance. Both fuselages have high visibility.
I did the test with low output for shure. I had 39 paces untill i lost control. I upgradet to the DX8 G2 to have antenna diversity, i wouldn't want to loose a modell this way. Hope i'm still safe, i will repeat the test next time before flight.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for your suggestions. I had performed the 30m low power range before and even after on the two flights I was able to retrieve. The latter passed well beyond 30m. I also check the two antenna leads where they clip onto the tx board. Both were in place and tension could be felt at the clips. I have since flown two beater planes, no issue at close range. Problem range is standard field circuit. Thanks
Old 11-12-2020, 10:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I sent my DX8 G2 to HH for service. They acknowledged receipt and had it repaired and shipped it back in a week. It did in fact have a "failing RF signal board" that they replaced no charge. They also updated the airware and audio files. I have yet to test. Certainly a timely response. The two EDF planes I lost were inexpensive but I lost a new AR636B receiver.
Xrayted likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in