Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Mikado Logo Helicopters

Mikado Logo Helicopters Mikado Logo Helicopters Discussion

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2019, 01:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Logo 500SE info

I picked up a DT520E a few months ago for stupid cheap, but itís now permanently grounded following a hard crash that stripped a gear. With parts no longer available, itís done. Lesson learned is to check servo connections after adjusting settings on the FBL....

Anyway, I found a Logo 500SE locally for a good price and think Iíll move on to it. Any info or things I should know about would be helpful. Itís the same as I can tell as a 550SX but with the 600 boom and blades (please correct me if Iím wrong). It has a Scorpion 4025 but just a Talon 90 - is that enough? Iíd like to learn 3D just for the challenge of something new, as Iím about burned out on 3D planes. For now though it will just be learning inverted and backwards flight.

What sort of headspeeds should I be running? Also, would it be worth swapping to 550 blades and boom, or for extra float stick with the 600s until I get better?

Thanks!
Ryguy is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2019, 05:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Unless it was upgraded to the 600 (25mm) boom, it would probably have the 20mm if it is an original 500se; think the newer ones were 22mm.

Think the talon90 would be fine for now with what you are going to be doing to start with. What kv is that 4025?

You could go either way you prefer on the blade length. I stretched my 500 to se within a year to run 600-620s and never looked back, but that was just me...Ö.and wanting all the auto-ability I could get
bikneli is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2019, 08:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

The logo in 600 blade size is absolutely amazing. Stick with it.
Thickfog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2019, 09:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Looks like it’s been upgraded to the 25mm boom and he’s done some custom work on it to make the skids, boom, and tail all yellow.

I went ahead and got a Talon 120 just for some overhead. I’ll be swapping out servos already so might as well do the ESC while I’m at it. My DT520E I had governed at 2150 and 2450 rpm on 520mm blades. The Scorpion motor in it is 1100 kV. What headspeed should I start with?

Thanks!
Old 10-07-2019, 09:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

No one can tell you what headspeed to start with. Don't know what you are doing or what you like.

If I told you i fly at 1450 would you do that? What about another guy that's gonna say you need 2200?

With a logo they fly well at many, many headspeeds. Pick your poisen.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just a general midrange starting point would be helpful. I’m not good enough yet to know better but a starting point would be nice to know.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryguy View Post
Just a general midrange starting point would be helpful. Iím not good enough yet to know better but a starting point would be nice to know.
Try 1700 to 1900.

I myself fly 1450 to 1650. Does everything I need and runs for 8:30 generally. I like longer flights.
Make sure you have appropriate gearing to hit the headspeed you want.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

... just for you to be 100% sure in case of a crash: check if it has been converted to 'full size 600SX boom' or '600SX boom cutted down to 550SE lenght'... the difference could be seen on the belt (686XL/730XL) or measuring the boom length (690/755mm). might only be important "in case off"... so you'll possibly need different belt/boom brace/control rod lenghts.

i do have both versions.... no big difference for you. but 550SE length boom is limited to 600(610) mains, full size boom can take up to 640s and/or longer tail blades.

Ciao
Michael
Old 10-10-2019, 09:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Turns out it does still have the 20mm boom.

Is it worth upgrading to the 22 or 25? Aside from the boom holder, fin clamps, pushrod guides, and tail rotor clamps, what is needed to do the swap? Right now I’m thinking I’ll use the stock 600mm blades and then swap to 550s and a shorter 22mm tail when I inevitably need new blades.

Thanks for the help already by the way.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

.... depending on the tail unit version there is a different tail shaft length too for 20/22+ boom (71 vs 74.x mm IIRC) and maybe CF tail unit parts (case/fin) and belt tensioner (i guess not rotor or control slieve). i am not 100% sure.

but i guess you will not want to do that unless you run out of spare parts availability or a complete tail damage. i replaced mine long time ago with 25mm boom just because of a "fatal event" with my Logo 690 that resulted in a complete re-kit... by luck the 690s tail unit did not have a scratch, so it was easy to switch: i just had to cut-down a 25mm boom and replace the tail belt pulley.

great bird... you'll be happy with it. 600 mains are bigger & more stable, 550s more agile... choose your prefs.

Ciao
Michael

Last edited by Rabid121; 10-10-2019 at 10:03 AM..
Rabid121 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2019, 12:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks like the parts count to update from the 20mm boom to 22mm is fairly minimal. Just spacers, boom, and hardware. For now I’ll fly it with the 20mm boom and stock 600mm blades. After my first inevitable crash though I think I’ll swap to a shorter 22mm boom and 550 blades. Having the extra stability and float of 600s is probably good for me for now still learning things though. Thanks for the input everyone. I’m away on business this week but first flight should happen sometime next week.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

may as well go all the way to the 25mm boom. I did that on my 550sx.. as long as your pushing 600's, why not?
Old 10-18-2019, 03:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I prefer the 25mm boom on my Logos. I don't know that I would call it an "upgrade" though.

If you go that route definitely get a set of these to replace the stock plastic ones.

https://www.lynxheli.com/product_inf...5055f8661f9782
Lompma likes this.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

[QUOTE=prototype3a;7893641]

If you go that route definitely get a set of these to replace the stock plastic ones.
/QUOTE]

Huh, never even knew these existed! Guess I have never looked further than the stock ones though, never any issues.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I’m really considering going with a 22 mm or 25 mm boom before even flying it on the 20. Someone talk me out of it and tell me just to fly it.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

go 25, then it will handle anything. 550-600, maybe even larger depending on the owb. cost pretty much the same as 22, so why not?
you really need to compare the frames to the newer 550-600 ones to see if its even possible. not sure what part # the older 500's were.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryguy View Post
Iím really considering going with a 22 mm or 25 mm boom before even flying it on the 20. Someone talk me out of it and tell me just to fly it.
I wouldn't try to talk you out of it, but if were mine, would fly it as is until the first 'incident'. Unless it came w. extra booms, might as well use that one up and then go to 25 and never look back. I flew the 20 ones for a long time
before switching over and never any issues, but the 25mm just looks so much more 'proportional' on the heli to me, than that long skinny 20.
prototype3a and 3D Dave like this.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:19 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I’m 10 flights in now and really enjoying it. It’s not as agile as either my Blade 450X or the DT520E it replaces, but for my skill level that’s good. I’m running the stock 20mm boom and it’s good enough. I did go ahead and get parts to swap to a 22 mm boom as I have several spare 22mm booms from the DT520E that I could use. I’ll also shorten it u think to run 550 blades at that point. For now though I’m happy with it and the slower pace it lets me dial in manuevers.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:55 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Maybe leave it long as a "practice" machine.

I think it is a mistake to make all ones birds fly similarly.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:24 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype3a View Post
...I think it is a mistake to make all ones birds fly similarly...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in