Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > MSH Brain FBL Unit

MSH Brain FBL Unit MSH Brain Support Forum

View Poll Results: Which Windows emulator for MAC you prefer and use?
Parallels Desktop 6 50.00%
VMware Fusion 1 8.33%
Boot Camp 2 16.67%
Oracle VM VirtualBox 3 25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2019, 03:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Windows emulators for MAC

As I think you all already know, in the field of heli RC it is necessary and/or useful to use a lot of software.
But most of the most used software around only works with Windows operating system.
I'll give you the first examples that come to mind but there may be a lot more:
- Castle Creation ESC's
- Revoletrix chargers
- Hyperion devices
- Graupner Studio
- Spektrum TLM telemetry files viewers
- Software for ESC's, RX's, TX's firmware update
- LogView
- Flight simulators
- Governor
- Flybarless

For MAC owners, the manufacturers of these software suggest the use of various Windows emulators for MAC:
- Parallels Desktop
- VMware Fusion
- Boot Camp
- Oracle VM VirtualBox

However, it has never been suggested which of these emulators are the most appreciated and used by MAC users who have already tried and used them.

Therefore, I do this poll in order to understand which are the most appreciated and the opposite the less used ones.
Thank you for your cooperation and I hope not to make a Poll that has already been done recently.
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2019, 04:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I mostly use Boot camp and run native windows 10, but boot camp is not really an emulator. However IF I need a real emulator while running macOS I use Oracle VM VirtualBox.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Parallels is fantastic. It's not perfect but it makes Windows programs appear to run as if they were running natively. In coherence mode, once the VM is started up, the Windows machine isn't even there - it's running in the background and you can add shortcuts to Windows programs. It's really cool.

You have to have a decently powerful Mac though - which means expensive, thanks Apple. If you want a well-performing Windows to run alongside macOS, it needs to have plenty of CPU power and RAM available for the Windows machine. I have a 2012 MacBook Pro (well it's actually a 2012 Dell Latitude Hackintosh but as far as macOS knows it's a Macbook Pro) which is 2c4t Core i5 and while macOS runs great on it, the Windows machine suffers. Still, I use it for Castle Link, Vstabi, and Brain2 software.

If you want Windows to perform well, say for software development, you need a high end Mac and/or you need to run Windows on the machine itself instead of a Virtual Machine like VMWare or Parallels. If you're just using it for RC stuff like MSH software or Castle, a VM will work great and Parallels makes it as seamless as it can be.

And if you don't have an SSD - don't bother. Most new Macs come with one, but older ones may not - and a hard disk drive makes even macOS suffer, let alone trying to also run a virtual machine off the same disk.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oracle VirtualBox (aka: VBox)

It is free and very well supported.
I've been running it for the last 6 years on Linux, Windows and MacOS

I started with Fusion (running a Win7 32-bit guest) on MacOS but it crushed my MBP.
Then I removed Fusion and installed VBox and it was like I had upgraded the MBP to a desktop system.
And, the VMDK file for the Win7 VM ran natively in VBox.
The first Brain I had, I used this Win7 guest (on MacOS) to run the Brain's Windows Configuration app.

I tried bootcamp for a while. But it was a major PITA.
I had to dedicate 1/2 the OS disk to a Windows partition.
If I wanted to do anything, I had to shutdown MacOS and reboot into Windows.
Aggggggggg

I run VBox on my Windows 10, Ubuntu 18.04, CentOS 7 and MacOS systems.

I have "guest" systems (Virtual Machines) that are Windows 7 / Windows 10 / Windows 2012 R2 and Windows 2016 R2 and some flavors of Linux. And, the Virtual Machines are all portable between all the hosts.

It will also run guest VMs that were created by KVM, Xen, Fusion and VMWare ESX (vCenter).

It will map a USB 3.0 device through the host system's USB port and it shows up in the guest as if it was plugged in to the guest.
You can also map the Bluetooth interface from the host into the guest as if it was native to the guest.

Last edited by ticedoff8; 10-10-2019 at 08:01 PM..
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2019, 07:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bootcamp for me.

Emulators sometimes have problems reading devices or the computer's hardware.
BuildFlyCrashRepeat is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2019, 09:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I run my brain software using parallels for Mac. It works fine. I usually can't get the bluetooth to connect, but I have no issues with connecting via USB.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Parallels for me. I also have this bluetooth issue.

I know it's been discussed before, but sticking to one OS in 2019? Come on, drone guys make it for everything. Anyway, it's not a big deal.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Parallels is most likely to work for the various things you need to do with the various software. Virtual box will get fiddly very quickly especially when dealing with USB devices.

It should be noted, however that virtual box is free and parallels is either $50 or $100, I forget. Parallels will feature way better performance when compared to virtual box as well.

However, the easiest solution is probably just to install windows in a separate partition and use bootcamp to boot directly into windows. That is most guaranteed to work correctly, of course.
XL Power Specter 700
fiddle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in