Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > OpenTX Radios

OpenTX Radios OpenTX Radios Discussion and Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2019, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Set Headspeed - Best Approach ?

As a raw beginner in OpenTX I have so much to learn it's amazing. Makes me wonder if I'm to old or to used to my old friendly DX8, but I push on for now.

I have my first FrSky heli (Oxy3) setup with 3 headspeeds on the Talon using GovStore at 30%, 70% and 100% flat-curves.

I'm presently using Special Functions tied to the SA switch to select these values, and adjusted the Output channels so that the 30,70,100 reflect those values when checking the Throttle channel on my Spirit FBL.

I wonder though, is this the best way to do this. Should I instead use "curves" linked an input or output line?

Or maybe it should be a global variable that I pass from FM0 and change (somehow) with a switch?

I have read posts which say the system is so flexible you can do whatever you want, many different ways. But is there a better way given how the OpenTX works with my QX7?
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2019, 12:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought my QX7 about a year ago having used a Spektrum DX7 for the previous 10 years or so, I was somewhat overwhelmed by my early attempts with OpenTx so I decided to set it up to work in as similar way as possible to my old DX7. The dyed-in-the-wool OpenTx ambassadors probably hate this idea - but I'm really happy with it.

I now have 4 models on it - I'm using extra telemetry, voice prompts,FBL integration etc. none of which were available on my old DX7, but I still have it set up to use throttle "curves" (even though they are straight lines) and have moved the switches so that they are in the same positions.

Perhaps us old dos can learn some new tricks
Mikej is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2019, 03:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

As long as it works for you and doesn’t limit your ability to add other functionality In the future, it’s fine.

Using a curve might be a little more flexible if you ever decide to do a V curve, eg disabling Governor but still wanting done reasonably constant HS.

I personally use a global variable but might switch to a curve

Another parallel option for you would be to use Flight Modes if you aren’t already. So when you flip your head speed switch on your TX, instead of it changing your throttle value directly, it changes your flight mode. Then in the Mixes tab for throttle you let the Flight Mode dictate the throttle value, either through a coded value like you have now, or a global variable, or a curve. I’m not sure if this is “better” but it would be my preference since I have other things tied to flight modes (eg gyro gain, Revomix).
Old 11-07-2019, 08:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I prefer to use the Flight Modes because almost everything else can be tied to a given mode (trims, GVs, etc).

I use Flight Modes tied to flat throttle curves in the Mixer section. I looked at using GVs, but prefer a visual representation. I have a 3-position switch and a separate throttle hold switch

Mode 0 - Startup: flat 0%
Mode 1 - throttle hold switch forces throttle channel to 0% (highest priority over all other modes)
Mode 2 - Normal flight: flat XX%
Mode 3 - Acrobatic mode: flat YY%

With this setup, I can force the motor to shutdown with the hold switch no matter what mode is selected on the 3-position switch.
gfyss is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2019, 10:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mike are your 4 modes basically a 3-position switch for the FM1-3 and HOLD being the 4th mode?

It seems odd that FM0 does not allow you to assign a switch to it. Its only use seems to be a place-holder for the power-on phase or storing values in GV?

Once I change to FM1,2 or 3 via my switch SA, I can never get back to FM0 - I believe. Is that true?

This is why I'm using SF in a Special Function to drive the Thr to -100

Using FM1 like gfyss outlines for the Thr Hold must work, but it I wanted to have all three possible HS I need to add a FM4 - where FM1 = HOLD, FM2, 3 and 4 are headspeeds 30, 70 and 100% I guess.

Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
I bought my QX7 ...

I now have 4 models on it - I'm using extra telemetry, voice prompts,FBL integration etc. none of which were available on my old DX7, but I still have it set up to use throttle "curves" (even though they are straight lines) and have moved the switches so that they are in the same positions.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have 3 Flights Modes on SB (but I switched the physical position of SA and SB so that it is on the top rather than the front - same as my DX7).

I have SH set up as Throttle Hold which is set up a FM0 and overrides the other 3 FMs. So if I have FM1 and Hold - I get Hold / FM0, same for FM2 and FM3.

Basically the same as it works on my DX7 - if TH is on then no throttle no matter which FM I select
Old 11-07-2019, 12:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Makes sense. Same layout as the old DX8.

How do you link SH (Hold) to select FM0 ?
Old 11-07-2019, 12:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Set Headspeed - Best Approach ?

FM 0 will be selected if there are no matches to the other flight modes. That’s the key.

Here’s what I did...

I used Logic Switches. If switch A is far back and TH isn’t active, then LS1 is true. If switch A is in middle and TH isn’t active, then LS2 is true. If switch A is forward toward you and TH isn’t active, then LS3 is true.

Then in your flight mode page on OpenTX, make the different flight modes respond to the LS you set up rather than the switch directly. FM1 is active if LS1 is true, etc

That way if none of the LS1-3 are true, FM0 is selected by default since there are no matches.

Might be a smarter way, not sure.
xoexoe is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2019, 12:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can you see on the TX screen someplace the value of LS1, LS2, and LS3 so you can confirm that "true" is set when testing?
Old 11-07-2019, 01:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Attached is my Oxy3 ver3 OTX file (saved as TXT).

This is a non-working setup. I setup the LS switches (maybe), but not sure what is next...

Why not just set the Weight in the FM area to -100, 30, 70, 100 like you will see if you open the file. I was originally thinking using the weights like above with a static flat 100 curve (called TCF). Maybe I can't get back to FM0 without the LS option also incorporated.

All these options start getting confusing...

Thanks again for everyone's input and patience.

BTW - I'm out of town for a few days after today, so if I don't respond it's not due to lack of interest.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Oxy3_ver3(otx).txt (1.0 KB, 12 views)
Old 11-07-2019, 01:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is what I have - not sure if it is the best way to do it, but it works...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TH screen 1.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	824613   Click image for larger version

Name:	TH screen 2.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	824615  
Old 11-07-2019, 03:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade_crasher View Post
Can you see on the TX screen someplace the value of LS1, LS2, and LS3 so you can confirm that "true" is set when testing?
For sure, yes. You just go to the Logical Switches page. Each line gets bold when true. You can see it in Mikej's post. His L01 is true.

There is also some other page (can't remember where.... maybe the MONITOR screen by hitting MDL twice, then paging over?) where there's more of a visual representation of what's true and not true. At least that's true on Horus. Not sure about the QX7.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

You guys are making my head hurt!

For the throttle hold, all I have is a Special Function assigned to the TH switch. That function is to Override the throttle channel to -100. It looks like this:

SF1 THd(down arrow)OverrideCH3 -100 (check box enabled)

The special function will override the throttle in ANY flight mode so no need for a special flight mode. However, I have the audio setup to call out the mode changes, which is why I also have throttle hold tied to a flight mode. Otherwise mode changes are still announced even if TH is active.

FYI, I renamed my switches so I could find them in the menus. It's under "Edit Radio Settings" and the "Hardware" tab in the Companion (open a .otx file first or download the models from the radio).

The most basic setup would be:
- Assign flight modes to switch positions as desired.
- Assign a special function to the throttle hold switch that overrides the channel to -100 (or whatever "off" is)

OpenTX has a lot of ways to do the same thing. Some are just more painful than others
Old 11-07-2019, 05:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah that’s a good way too.
xoexoe is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2019, 07:23 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfyss View Post
SF1 THd(down arrow)OverrideCH3 -100 (check box enabled)
careful, the override value needs to be the value for the negative endpoint for that channel in the outputs page because override works directly on the output, not the mix values. it's why most people avoid overrides. i prefer to use 2 curves, one with 3 values for the throttle and the other with just -100 for both points and then do this on a mix line...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	824903  
kuroguy is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2019, 08:14 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

True. The main thing is to find a way that works best for your logical processes and be consistent. I've had radios from Airtronics, Multiplex, Graupner (before the buyout), now FrSky with OpenTX, and I've helped people with Futaba (only as a last resort). Every one of them has a different, but eventually logical way of accomplishing the tasks required. I have noticed that the Asian approach (logic) is very different from the European IMHO. But trans-literated German can be just as much "fun" as trans-literated Japanese or Chinese .
Old 11-13-2019, 12:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The easiest way I have found is using the mix menu activated by the switch. Use mix value of whatever you need for that governor position and select replace.

Start at the top with hold because OpenTX reads too down. If first step doesn't result in true, it moves to the next.

So you have throttle mixes that look like this:

Throttle hold switch down, Mix 0%, Replace
Mode switch up, Mix 30%, Replace
Mode switch mid, Mix 60%, Replace
Mode switch down, Mix 90%, Replace

No need for an input on the throttle channel. No need for logical switches or special functions.

That's the easiest way I have found...not the best way. But it's quick and works well.
Ivan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2019, 01:48 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Kuroguy, I'm trying to follow your approach, but I'm stuck.

I need 3 gov settings @ 30, 70, 100% - so I modified the curves to match that and this works on my SA switch. But when I setup the HOLD on my SH, I never get the Thr to show anything but the 30, 70 or 100% based on SA.

What am I doing wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroguy View Post
careful, the override value needs to be the value for the negative endpoint for that channel in the outputs page because override works directly on the output, not the mix values. it's why most people avoid overrides. i prefer to use 2 curves, one with 3 values for the throttle and the other with just -100 for both points and then do this on a mix line...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PicPick_128.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	826145  
Old 11-15-2019, 07:32 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

check out my oxy2 setup. it all happens on the channel 3 line on the mix page and i use 2 curves: thr and hld. hold is on switch C and headspeed is on switch A

edit the file is not attaching... hang on.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:41 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

the file is attached at this link...

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...33#post7890723

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in