Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By nrk2of3
  • 1 Post By yakky
  • 1 Post By EndoDusk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2019, 04:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What to get? 230s V2 or 150s or MCPX2 or Nano2

I have an itch to get a new heli. dont want to go over $300 Heli + Batts. I have a 230s v1 a 230s night v1 and a 130s. I have other helis but for this question that's it.

I want to spend more time flying and its winter in Colorado. having 2 230s is the V2 that big of a deal. I fly them just fine but i have never flown a V2. I like my 130s better size for a truck heli. 150s is a bit bigger than the 130s so it's closer to the 230's but it has all the V2 electronics goodies. but then the MCPX2 is small i had one before and it was twitchy but it would take a beating. Maybe a nano 2? I liked my old nano until i blinged it to death. then sold it on ebay and got 30% of what i had in it. it looked cool all blue and 3 bladed.

help me spend my money.

I'm thinking Nano 2 and keeping it stock. MCPX2 is all brushless and Colorado.

-Neil
nrk2of3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2019, 09:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,

the Nano S2 has SAFE on board.
Check the related forum - it has been said by pilots that you can't completely be turned OFF and that the S2 does not fly like a NanoCPx.

I had a Cpx back in 2012/2013...I flew it inverted as well...tested my first funnels, etc.
But even it was only 30g it could not take a beating.

Are you talking about the Mcpx V2 (1s, brushed) and manual brushless conversions?
Or the new Mcpx BL 2 (2s)?

I definitely would not get the quite old Mcpx V2 (brushed) which only worked on DSM2 as the main motor is not powerful enough and that model, which a friend of me flew, did not have that good tail hold; the NanoCpx was better.

It is the 21th century...I would not get a brushed main motor anymore, definitely not.
Way too much trouble back in 2012 with the NanoCpx.
And with Blade you simply won't get very high motor quality so you will end up having to replace the main motor on a regular basis.

If you want something smaller than a 230 or 150s, get a XK K110 (1s, BL main, 60g).
It definitely can take a beating (much more than a Nano or Mcpx V2)!!!

It also feels quite direct in the 3G mode....there definitely is not any safe / stability mode activated when I fly in that mode so it would behave "too brave".
Only the tail motor is brushed (0720mm) but it holds pretty well in pitch pumps or fast forward flight / curves.
If you have 1-3 helis you can switch between them and give the other one a rest for 6,5 minutes (=flying time on 450-520mah).

It has way more power with the bigger 1s lipo - even on the white Walkera plug - than the Nanocpx which is just great outside.
I warmed the 1s lipos to ~34-37 degree celcius for 60-90 minutes and simply flew it outside at +5-8 degree celcius.
But of course you can feel it: 1s vs 2s vs 3s when the main motor is bogging a little bit. Still have no Tattu 600mah lipos here to check for any difference.

I am still dailing it in (I need a good heli blade balancer for 1,7-1,8mm) with weird side effects on swashplate leveling, without or drift with canopy and required trims (which you should not do on a FBL heli)......but in summer (K110 #1) I tried first flips and it worked when I changed the foam pad with a red M3 VHB.
My K110 #3 has the grey and a bit thicker M3 foam pad installed which a German Walkera dealer sent to me.
I will be throwing out the standard black (quite high, but wobbles around) foam pad from XK and test another one on it with the V6 version number printed on the boad.

Maybe the K110 is a bit too small for you if you already fly the 230s and you are looking at the 150s (carbon chassis, brushless tail motor).

In the end it all depends on your RC budget, your flight style (if 1s is sufficient for you, of course 1s lipos work better outside when it is +15-18 degree celcius or more) and where you are flying.

You can fly the K110 in a triple indoor gym if you have any access to.
I did that with the Nanocpx and it was fun.
My friend flew his 130x there...another level in front of the roof and walls.
If you know how to fly very well the 150s probably is no problem too, but I am not sure as it is based on the 180cfx (I think).

I am also not sure if it is a really good idea to fly the K110 in a (triple) gym with multiple other pilots at the same time or when they fly the Blade micro heli stuff all in parallel.

Sure...it probably can take beating even on the hard floor or walls, BUT:

There is this small 101 inductor installed right besides the B+ solder pad.
On the #1 K110 I managed to get the board damaged when it it the hard concrete because I was trying to get this stupid 6G mode working which resulted in a HEAVY backwards drift / flight behind me and slammed onto the small street landing place in the wood.
I found out I can probably resolder the 101 inductor and measured the 3.3V pad on the back of the board...but finally made the board (probably small SMD resistor or something like that) smoke as I accidentally hit the wrong place with my milliamp meter below the 101 inductor / near the B+ pad.

Before that I burned the 1s ESC when I tried to solder another JST-PH 2.0 cable - in parallel - onto the existing +- pads.
I did it wrong....ESC got damaged.
In the end that error cost me almost the whole flying season :-(
But you can get it for cheap in China and you can install BlHeli on it to have a governor.
A governor on a 1s micro heli....sounds nice to me....but first I need to calibrate the min/max throttle points.

This is another point about micros:

You need a vendor with a REALLY good warranty program (which HH / Blade does IMHO not provide anymore since the investor changes)

OR

where you can get replacement boards and gyros for cheap.

Better don't expect from HorizonHobby that they replace you boards or receivers for free just because you crashed the heli somewhere.
And even if you do not crash....those boards with many SMD electronic is not meant to be free from defects for long....I read in the Nano S2 forum that it only takes a few flights (under 50) and the board is not working anymore and needs to be replaced by HH / LHS (they agreed/confirmed the swap).

When the tail gyro was suddenly not working anymore on the Nanocpx my LHS had a great support, sent it (the whole heli) to HH and I got a new board within the first six months which solved the issue.
That was really good service!

But now (for a while) other people (from 130s) get told that flying does not cover warranty as it is only guaranteed to be defect-free when you open the box and do your ground checkout / first flight.

It somehow got so much more difficult with LHS or Horizon, dunno why.
Just read the forums how people are ocassionally dealt with and what is being said to them on telephone or e-mail ....

........and because of this my 200QX 4in1 ESC board is still defective when two mosfets + resistor burned in 2015 when I tried to connect the motor on a new (carbon) frame.

A new ESC would be 90EUR replacement costs! Ridiculous!
What is the production cost for this thing in China?
Why can't I simply expect as a customer to be able to buy a cheaper / sponsored one from HH (Kulanz) with time a little over 6 months for ~20-25EUR when the full (vendor) warranty does not cover it anymore?
It is not really fun having to "convince" a HH dealer to send it in in parts when HH wants it in "one piece" in their original crappy white plastic chassis which immediately breaks just when you look at it :-)

Best advise ever:

Stay away from micro Blade/E-Flite boards as long as you can not do SMD soldering for yourself!
Check ahead what the concrete replacement parts of a (proprietary, dual motor driven) FBL or RX in a Blade heli are and if they are any affordable.
Don't expect to benefit from warranty regulations from HH after a few weeks or months flying when something goes wrong....their game has IMHO drastically changed in comparison to 2012/beginning of 2013 (and I heard some stories about the 200srx/230 V1 proprietary dual esc + tail motor issues pilots had running through sets of them when only one gone bad which does not convince me to get it, even if everything has probably improved with a V2).

BTW: The Blade 230s V2 still has the same (limited) red JST BEC plug.
If you want to swap it for a Dean ultra, green MPX or yellow XT30 or XT60 plug you will void the warranty of the ESC!
This does not really motivate me as HH has then found something which they can rely on to get around their warranty if electronic fails.

-------------------------------

My impression from the videos on youtube and discussions in the HF (main) forum is that you probably should get a OMPHOBBY M2 if you want to have something in that 230er size.

- Direct- driven main motor with lots of power
- Brushless tail motor
- 3s lipo (which obviously gives you more power than a 1s K110)
- FBL unit (but proprietary because the dual ESC is integrated)
- supporting rescue/stability

So now the question may be K110 vs Blade 150s / 230 V2 vs M2 :-)

The M2 comes with the "right" plug :-)

Let us know what your final decision is.

Best regards
Walkera Devo 10/DeviationTX (12CH DSMx & telemetry)...Ex-DX8...Blade 4503D...Walkera V120D02s...Blade 200QX BL Quad...StrykerQ (LEDs, M2 tuning)...Ex-NanoCPX...Ex-120SR...Ex-MPX EGP...PPZ P51-D Mustang...PZ Wildcat (searching fuselage-firewall)
Thomas.Heiss is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2019, 09:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

The nCPS is (as Thomas already stated) a SAFE heli...a large difference from the nCPX

The nCPS was downgraded to an intermediate...while the nCPX was an Advanced Class machine

In the hands of a capable pilot (one locally that I personally have seen do it) the stock nCPX and stock mCPX are insane...with no tail blowout whatsoever...thanks to the collective management skills of said local pilot - even in inverted tail-first circuits

In it's absence...great collective management can be "bought" by upgrading the tail motors to the OverSky 7mm...and the main motor to an OverSky outrunner if You have the ability and needed parts

Doing that will give 10 times the stock power...but comes at about triple the initial cost of the model (IF you can find parts to do it with)

The 130S is pretty much the same...a downgraded SAFE version of the 130X...which is My personal choice for indoor gym flying along with My heavily modded brushless main motored nCPX's and mCPX's with the stock brushed motors

You'll nearly always get what You are willing to pay for...but few get a Porsche for the price of a VW

Biggest bang for the buck indoors with hard floors and no soft crash spots? A small quad such as the Nano QX or Nano QX 3D...even the 180QX is a great indoor model

In the right hands...they'll run circles around the typical foamy planes that most fly during the winter months
Old 11-17-2019, 11:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

OMPHOBBY M2 that's an interesting model.
Indokast likes this.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrk2of3 View Post
OMPHOBBY M2 that's an interesting model.
You'll be flying indoors with a hard-surface floor?

Consider crash damage...and spare parts availability for such a new model

Might be better to stay with something well established from a spare parts viewpoint

Winter flying season can become awful short if You have to wait for several weeks (or even months) to get spare parts
Old 11-18-2019, 12:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

How about taking a look at the 180 Fusion? If your budget is $300, you could get one plus two batteries. Also, the difference isn't going to be that much between 230 V1 & V2, if you had neither then getting the V2 makes sense, otherwise you're pretty much getting "more of the same..." Get some models that "feel" different, the fusion is belt driven and will feel really precise and even though I haven't flown it, I'm sure it has some "pop" being that it's not that big but runs 4s....

Last edited by LethalSassonic; 11-19-2019 at 03:46 AM..
LethalSassonic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2019, 12:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another consideration is the size limits of the indoor facility...

If it's a club function...there may be a limit on weight/size/battery or a combination thereof...or the facility may have limits itself

Our local indoor events are limited to 12oz and 3S and AMA membership is required to fly for insurance purposes
Old 11-18-2019, 12:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJet View Post
Another consideration is the size limits of the indoor facility...

If it's a club function...there may be a limit on weight/size/battery or a combination thereof...or the facility may have limits itself

Our local indoor events are limited to 12oz and 3S and AMA membership is required to fly for insurance purposes
Yeah, if it's indoors it may be a challenge anyway to control the Fusion 180 well enough...
Old 11-18-2019, 07:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't forget the new 150s, its an awesome heli. I wouldn't even consider the 230s V2 if you have a couple already, it doesn't fly any different than the V1 to me, though the new color scheme is a lot more visible. As mentioned, the K110 is another good option.
The_Fox likes this.
yakky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2019, 12:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

You allready have Blade 230S V1 and 230 Night. The difference to the Blade 230S V2 is very poor, all 230S perform similar well.

The Blade 150S will amaze You, compared to Your 130S. Better Servos, more Power, less Problems. Just like Your 230S. This would be the right choice.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

230s all the way!
mocantry is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2019, 12:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Consider one model if u haven't seen it yet

Consider the new OMPHOBBY M2 -- but be careful if you're fairly new to flying and be sure to turn the throttle curve down to 50-60% so you don't hurt yourself. I've really gotten into this heli and I've got about 20 others to choose from. It's just the one model that has the highest ratio of FLY TIME to crash/repair time. At least 20-1 and most of my other models are barely 50-50 time spent setting up, modifying, and repairing after problems that aren't always my fault.
Thomas.Heiss likes this.
EndoDusk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2019, 10:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalSassonic View Post
How about taking a look at the 180 Fusion? If you're budget is $300, you could get one plus two batteries. Also, the difference isn't going to be that much between 230 V1 & V2, if you had neither then getting the V2 makes sense, otherwise you're pretty much getting "more of the same..." Get some models that "feel" different, the fusion is belt driven and will feel really precise and even though I haven't flown it, I'm sure it has some "pop" being that it's not that big but runs 4s....
LethalSassonic you nailed it I think. I have a 180 TRO CFX I don't fly it that much. I baby it totally. I just love the safety of safe. I think i'll get the 180 Fusion and keep the 230's for the end of the day flying. I like the idea of "Get some models that "feel" different". From valued hanger queens to the first up. I'm going to start a parts budget .
Old 11-19-2019, 03:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
LethalSassonic you nailed it I think. I have a 180 TRO CFX I don't fly it that much. I baby it totally. I just love the safety of safe. I think i'll get the 180 Fusion and keep the 230's for the end of the day flying. I like the idea of "Get some models that "feel" different". From valued hanger queens to the first up. I'm going to start a parts budget .
If you do get the 180 Fusion let me know how you like it. I very much have it on my radar, and I'm tempted every time I sit at my computer to click "add to cart"
Old 11-19-2019, 11:48 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was thinking 270 Fusion but its a budget blower for me. It would have become an instant hanger queen. only flown at 10% of its capabilities. Looking cool in all its fiberglass, aluminum, and carbon fiber wonderment. as I explain how flipping a helicopter is just showy. I fully intend on beating the hell out of my 180 cfx and the new 180 fusion. i have the 230's for bashing around day and night. and a 130s that is just small enough to sneek into the gym
Old 11-19-2019, 02:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I was thinking 270 Fusion but its a budget blower for me. It would have become an instant hanger queen. only flown at 10% of its capabilities. Looking cool in all its fiberglass, aluminum, and carbon fiber wonderment. as I explain how flipping a helicopter is just showy. I fully intend on beating the hell out of my 180 cfx and the new 180 fusion. i have the 230's for bashing around day and night. and a 130s that is just small enough to sneek into the gym
Yep, I run my hanger in a similar fashion. My 3D practice w/the 230s V2, and MCPX BL, and my 300x's are more for sport flight, and they are blinged-out and make nice shelf-queens. I'll probably get a 180 Fusion when I feel I can get the most out of it and not worry about 3D without a panic button.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in