Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Goblin 280

Goblin 280 SAB Heli Division - Goblin 280 Helicopters

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2019, 02:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Are you happy?

Thinking of picking up a 280. What are the overall opinions on this heli? Likes dislikes? How does it fly at lower headspeeds?
Bladefarts is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2019, 03:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I’ve been very happy with mine. No big tail wags or vibes. Great little little that flys great. I can’t wait for the weather to break so I can start flying again
acidkindred likes this.
junior10 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2019, 04:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep I love mine, flying at 65% throttle and it flies beautiful. Building a 2nd one.
acidkindred likes this.
blarks is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2019, 04:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I picked mine up used here on the HF classifieds and am very happy with it. I do sport flying on mine with fairly low headspeeds. I'm running 77% on the HW internal governor (if I recall correctly) and at that headspeed it goes like stink (standard motor, not the competition one). I could certainly fly lower headspeeds than that no problem. Btw, I use a Hobbywing 25 amp esc with xt30 connectors and 6s 1000 mah batteries. I have tried two 3s 1000 mah batteries in series and that worked great too for sport flying (also on xt30 connectors). I run a 5:30 timer and most flights last 6 minutes and leave the batteries at at least 3.7 volts per cel. I like this heli so much that I ordered the fiberglass canopy and tailboom. For its size it's highly visible because of the fat tailboom.
acidkindred likes this.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I thought about getting an Oxy 3 instead of the Fireball but I figured the Fireball would be much easier to see.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladefarts View Post
Thinking of picking up a 280. What are the overall opinions on this heli? Likes dislikes? How does it fly at lower headspeeds?
I just built one and have 20 flights. I love it. It’s the first small helicopter (sub 500 size) that I’ve been happy with, and the fact that you can fly it in smaller spaces with inexpensive batteries that are quickly charged and easy to carry around makes it a real go-to heli. The only thing that was a pain in building it was organizing the extra wire from the servos without interfering with the FBL controller. 65% throttle works perfectly for me, light 3D and sport flying, with the comp motor. 60% works but too much collective needed if you start throwing it around. 70% makes it really lively. I found that I really have to turn down my FBL gains at 70% and above.
acidkindred and jasond1979 like this.

Last edited by hpaulmo; 03-25-2019 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: (Added throttle info. To my original reply)
hpaulmo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2019, 02:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

see post 21..

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=826235

and last paragraph in post 15..

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=826235
Old 03-25-2019, 10:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonys-heli View Post
Something tells me you don't like the fireball. Here is someone who obviously can fly quite well and seems to throw this brick around fairly well.
Tareq Alsaadi ((Goblin Fire Ball smallest Goblin))good for beginners and pro طارق السعدي (5 min 51 sec)
acidkindred likes this.
blarks is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2019, 01:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

yea, hes a paid sponsor. but the op was asking about low head speed. tarek never flys low.
the op was also asking for opinions.. I have both, oxy3 and a fireball..
Old 03-26-2019, 01:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
yea, hes a paid sponsor. but the op was asking about low head speed. tarek never flys low.
the op was also asking for opinions.. I have both, oxy3 and a fireball..
There are plenty of videos that show the agility of the fireball, which was my point, to show that its not exactly a brick. I also have both and fly them both at low head speeds and I find nothing wrong with the fireball at low HS. You find it too heavy or sluggish at low head speed?
acidkindred likes this.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:32 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by blarks View Post
There are plenty of videos that show the agility of the fireball, which was my point, to show that its not exactly a brick. I also have both and fly them both at low head speeds and I find nothing wrong with the fireball at low HS. You find it too heavy or sluggish at low head speed?
Yea, way too finicky tail to get it right.. and not to mention only 2 motors.. endless motor options for the oxy3. The O3 flys great right out of the box with very little tuning at all. The fireball is heavy, we all know that, if they did it in 4s then they would have something.
Any good pilot can make a shit sandwich fly good. I’m talking reg people spending their hard earned money on a heli.. not pro pilots that have them given to them. Blades are pricey cause of the bolt hole in the blade grip, don’t know what’s going on with that. But when it was flying good, it was good, but imo, the 3 I liked better. Way easier to keep going and hardly any tuning.
I sold the fireball so I don’t have to deal with it.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blarks View Post
Yea, way too finicky tail to get it right.. and not to mention only 2 motors.. endless motor options for the oxy3. The O3 flys great right out of the box with very little tuning at all. The fireball is heavy, we all know that, if they did it in 4s then they would have something.
Any good pilot can make a shit sandwich fly good. I’m talking reg people spending their hard earned money on a heli.. not pro pilots that have them given to them. Blades are pricey cause of the bolt hole in the blade grip, don’t know what’s going on with that. But when it was flying good, it was good, but imo, the 3 I liked better. Way easier to keep going and hardly any tuning.
I sold the fireball so I don’t have to deal with it.
Gotcha, yeah the blade thing is a bit of a downer for the fireball. I did have a bit of a wag as everybody seems to, I've nearly managed to get rid of it by just a rebuild of the tail, was bought 2nd hand and I just flew it. I guess at my skill level it's not a major problem, but as I progress I am starting to notice tuning issues that didn't bother me before. I've been flying the FB and the oxy together but I flew the FB by itself last weekend and will fly the oxy by itself this weekend, just to make my mind up. I do like flying the FB though and I just felt more connected with it.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo Sganzerla View Post
I thought about getting an Oxy 3 instead of the Fireball but I figured the Fireball would be much easier to see.
I don't know about that. My Oxy 3 is pretty easy to see in the air and it flies like a dream. I don't know how the Goblin is, but the Oxy is a tank for crashes as well. I would love to try a Goblin one day, but right now I'm Oxy all the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3978.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	281.9 KB
ID:	784631  
Dsss likes this.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

The op was asking if you liked your goblin not your oxy.
acidkindred likes this.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior10 View Post
Yes, but then someone added they enjoyed their oxy as well as their Goblin. I know the OP mentioned in another thread about an oxy as well, so since it was mentioned in this thread, I decided to let him know. It does no harm to anyone to mention it since I know he's deciding between the two. I have nothing against Goblins and would like to try one myself one day. I'm just giving him a pic of the visibility of mine if that was a factor so relax. No one got hurt from my comment unless you did. Did you get hurt?

Last edited by Blades345; 03-26-2019 at 07:31 PM..
Blades345 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2019, 07:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior10 View Post
that's the problem when the op starts 2 threads about the same thing. it should have been merged into one thread. but he did ask about both.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

no worries here, i think everybody should fly what they like how they like. all this oxy talk is making me want to check one out. sorry off topic
tonys-heli likes this.
Old 03-29-2019, 02:42 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Over 100 flights on my fireball competition with no problems. Only thing was had to make sure the tail rotor was very finely balanced (at least to .01 gram) Other than that, love the weight of it, handles winds great, moves like a larger heli and the motor is more than enough, it's a stump puller. Visibility and sound is classic Goblin, awesome. Lower headspeed flies fine for precision and smooth aero. Pretty much everything I wanted in a micro 18 years ago when I first got the Eco Piccolo.

Honestly, I appreciate all micros seeing how far they've come, so darn lucky we got these ridiculous machines!
acidkindred likes this.

Last edited by RappyTappy; 03-31-2019 at 10:07 AM..
RappyTappy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2019, 10:44 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I love my Fireball! I flew a handful of packs in wind that I’d never fly my Oxy 2 in. It handed great.
acidkindred likes this.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:44 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,
Very happy with both my fireball havok and mino comet. They both have very predictable move just like if you fly bigger birds. They helped me perfecting my inverted orientation since very predictable movements.
acidkindred likes this.
kumoro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in