Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > 3D Printing

3D Printing Discuss 3D printed items and 3D printers as they relate to RC

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2020, 02:41 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddz View Post

Oh, for the record, bed leveling sucks....
BLTouch will fix that.
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2020, 03:22 AM   #22 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Yeah, but it'll be a project unto itself 'cuz the current firmware doesn't have any provisions for self leveling. Not a big deal, I've already printed the brackets I'm gonna need and am set up to fire off a couple cable management parts in the morning.

I'm not going to run parts while I sleep - at least not until I get the new firmware installed as it's got some better thermal protections. Having said that, I was watching temps via OctoPrint and the hot-end stayed right at the target temp and the bed only fluctuated by 0.1 under the target.

No helicopters were harmed in the creation of this post.
AMA CD # 7309, Turbine Waiver# RW 890
Click Here For Bergen Intrepid Turbine Build Videos
Skiddz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2020, 03:19 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

MatterHackers carries some extremely excellent quality filament.
Well-written tech articles too.

Math is hard.
Twin Rexx Chinooks, mCX, mCPX
MariaFan is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2020, 05:37 PM   #24 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Here in CA too...

Firmware is a bust for now. I have everything I need except for ONE male to female jumper wire. Thought my Arduino/Pi/electronics junk box would have at least one in there... Nope... Hopefully, the local Frys has some (But with the way they've been failing recently, I doubt it.)

Old 01-22-2020, 08:18 PM   #25 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Wow... Frys *did* have the jumpers I was looking for. Not much else in that area of the store though. Yikes.

Working on a "programming" port so I don't have to open the control box to flash firmware.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:18 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't get the fuss. It takes me all of about 30 sec. to do bed leveling. I know having it automated would be nice, but adds more complexity and other headaches to worry about.
Number likes this.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:54 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgriffith View Post
I don't get the fuss. It takes me all of about 30 sec. to do bed leveling. I know having it automated would be nice, but adds more complexity and other headaches to worry about.

Agree. I only do it if I change something.
yakky is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2020, 01:11 AM   #28 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgriffith View Post
This particular setup seems to "creep" between runs and it's none too flat. Tempted to get a piece of 1/4" aluminum plate for the bed and clamp my glass to that.

It's all part of the learning curve....

Old 01-23-2020, 03:17 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddz View Post
This particular setup seems to "creep" between runs and it's none too flat. Tempted to get a piece of 1/4" aluminum plate for the bed and clamp my glass to that.

It's all part of the learning curve....
Put some VibraTitie on the leveling threads and let it dry before you re-assemble.
That should stop the creep.

Math is hard.
Twin Rexx Chinooks, mCX, mCPX
MariaFan is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2020, 06:55 PM   #30 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

I'll look in to that, thx.

Tried the hairspray on glass bit today. Works pretty good and parts pop right off.

Gonna do the bootloader/firmware bit tonight after dinner and hopefully get the BLtouch installed too.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:30 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do yerself a favor and pick up a magnetic flexplate PEI print bed. It's the best thing I did to my Ender 3. Better than glass, better than hairspray, better than elmer's glue.... PLA, ABS, PETG, etc all sticks great to it with no other adhesives. And with the flexible magnetic ones, just pull the bed off (preferably let it cool first as PEI/PEX are heat based, very sticky when hot and become less sticky when they cool down) flex the plate, and the part pops right off no matter how big or small, thin or thick... it's fantastic.

You can get generic ones on Amazon, or get this one, which is well established and works very well.
https://whambamsystems.com/flexible-build-system

https://whambam3d.com/collections/30...stem-305-x-235

Different printer, same system:
Wham Bam Flex Plate System | Awesome Creality Cr-10S Pro Upgrade (9 min 42 sec)

Seriously, it's worlds better than glass + hairspray, and just about any other system... I've tried just about everything and I'm never leaving PEI flexplates.

Last edited by Number; 01-23-2020 at 08:48 PM..
Number is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2020, 09:57 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have heard magnetic build plates can't be used at higher temps (like that for ABS) because it will de-magnetize. How does our PEI solve that issue?
Old 01-23-2020, 10:34 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Creality ones supposedly can't handle much above 70C according to some, but I'm pretty sure that's been disproved in practice (not 100% sure though).

I've used my PEI magnetic bed as hot as 130C for ABS and Polycarbonate (more often 65-80C for PLA, Nylon, and PETG) for the last year or so, never an issue. Magnetism is just as strong as the day I installed it. And I just used generic fridge magnet sheets from Amazon. According to Wham Bam, their kits come with "1 Wham Bam Flexi Magnetic Base (high temp-resistant up to 150 degrees with high temp 3M adhesive)"

I'm not really sure why the Creality ones supposedly can't work with high temperatures. It could be the build surface they use, or something else unrelated. It's almost certainly not the magnet itself... ferrite magnets have a max working temperature of 250C, and a curie temperature of over 400C. Unless they just use really crappy magnets?

If you want a bit of a different texture on the bottom of your print, I've been using a textured PEI flex sheet for the last few months, and it's really cool. Gives a really nice texture, and it seems to be more durable than the PEI sheet style beds (on those, if you scrape your nozzle on the bed while it's hot, it can dig a hole/scratch). I have both a flat PEI sheet and textured powder coat sheet, which I switch between when necessary... just have to make sure my Z-offset is right.

This is the textured one I have on my Ender 3, combined with those magnetic sheets mentioned earlier in this post. I never bothered with the magnets it came with, as I already had the magnetic sheet installed when I got this plate.
https://www.amazon.com/BCZAMD-235x23...9841077&sr=8-2

Another big advantage to spring steel PEI beds: they're WAY, WAY lighter than glass. I've used glass briefly. It works decently enough, but borosilicate glass is very heavy, and if you try to print too fast it can cause lots of ghosting artifacts. It forces you to limit your print speed and acceleration settings, which is a no from me

xoexoe likes this.

Last edited by Number; 01-23-2020 at 10:56 PM..
Number is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2020, 05:08 AM   #34 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

I'll look into that magnetic bed, but might not be for a while. I don't want to drop another $100 on this thing just yet.

Just got my BLTouch mounted and 90% wired and updated to TH3D's Unified Firmware tonight after work. I've got all but the servo pin wired up.

Even with the extension cable provided with the sensor, the wire was still about 14" short. Enter some spare servo wire, pins, a crimper, some wire braid and heatshrink.

Hopefully, I got the firmware configured correctly although I did have a WTF moment after defining the servo pin and sending the code to the board. It started beeping as soon as the board rebooted and it took me a sec to realize I still had the display ribbon cable plugged in and it was the beeper going off. Duh.

Old 01-24-2020, 03:57 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have and Ender 3 Pro and print ABS with a magnetic bed temp of 90c no problem
Old 01-24-2020, 09:43 PM   #36 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Argh... Mad frustration, especially with the TH3D forums... I have no stop response on my Z axis and after hours of searching/reading, I still have no idea what it's doing. Searching the TH3D forums is almost pointless because more than half the time, I click a link and am met with a blank page, even after refreshing several times...

The ANTCLABS page isn't much help either and the 'manual' doesn't offer anything in the way of troubleshooting this sensor.

I hate to ask, but anyone running a Creality 1.1.4 board, TH3D unified firmware and a BLTouch 3.1 that's got it working?

Old 01-24-2020, 09:49 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've never been a fan of TH3D. I think anyone who wants to do it properly is better off learning how to set up Vanilla Marlin for their needs.

There is already a Marlin config example in Marlin Firmware. So all you'd need to do is add BLTouch (the process for which you can watch any Vanilla Marlin BLTouch video to do so)
https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Co...lity/CR-10mini
Old 01-25-2020, 12:03 AM   #38 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Well, the whole TH3D thing was fairly simple and honestly, I just want to get this thing working again before I dive in to another firmware project.

The probe is now working, Z offset is set and it homes perfectly now. I got my bed as flat as I can and dialed in the corners manually with the Octoprint Bed Leveling Wizard before I set the Z offset so in *theory*, I should have a bed mesh that's not too bad.

(Looks like my largest 'error' is 0.093mm)

Would I be safe in assuming I would need to add the commands to home all, then probe to the beginning of the Start Gcode in whatever slicer I end up using or is doing it with the start of each session even necessary if I do it manually before the 1st print?

Thanks for all the help thus far! It's been a learning experience for sure.

Last edited by Skiddz; 01-25-2020 at 12:15 AM..
Old 01-25-2020, 08:03 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Probing the entire bed every time you print is a waste of time. The bed won't drift that much between prints... if it does, something is very wrong. Just manually start a mesh every once in a while and save it to memory. Realistically, you only need to do a mesh if you notice it getting out of level. I haven't used Marlin in a long while (I use Klipper) so I can't say how to do it but as with most stuff in 3D printing there's lots of videos.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:25 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Congratulations, sounds like you got a new hobby, printer tuning!
yakky is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in