Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > OpenTX Radios

OpenTX Radios OpenTX Radios Discussion and Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2020, 03:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Bricked Taranis!!!! OMG!!! NO!!!

OMG! I never thought this would happen to me. I did believe it really, that's why I have never ever upgraded my radio. I was still running Companion 2.19 in Ubuntu and Win7 and 2.1.6 that came on my TaranisX9D+.

I was in the process of upgrading to Open TX-2.3.5 and and the firmware flashed fine into the radio. I copied the new SD card contents over. Put the .bin file in the EEPROM folder soon as I hit the exit boot loader button it was game over. I had a bricked Taranis. It wouldn't power on at all, Nothing! Blank! Dark! Hell!

Turns out the SD card had an In/Out error and nothing could read it. Linux, Windows, dd wouldn't erase it and fill it with zeros, testdisk could see but not find anything. I think something went wrong in copying over the New SD card files. It only had 17MB so I didn't think there would be a space issue on a 1Gig drive. Possibly it ran out of room while copying and jammed it up. I might should have deleted some things first.

Anyhow to get past the bricked Taranis I took a used 4Gig SD card from an old cell phone and formatted it to Fat 32 with gparted using a Multi-Card reader to plug it into my PC. Then I copied all the new SD card files onto the new SD card. And placed the new latest 2.3.5 Opentx. bin Firmware that was downloaded by companion into the FIRMWARE folder on the new 4G card as instructed here.
https://www.horusrc.com/en/blog/unbr...ating-systems/

Then I put it back into the Taranis X9D+ and it booted once into bootloader but not a 2nd time.
I unplugged the battery again and plugged it back up. It booted into bootloader again where I was able to reflash it and get it fully functioning again.

I thought I needed a partition on my drive labeled Taranis because you see 2 drives when you plug into the PC.
The TARANIS drive seen while plugged into the PC must actually be the radio's built in HD.

So after flashing the radio, I now had 2 TARANIS folders showing up and a 3rd 3.4gig partition for SD card contents. One Taranis folder holding the .bin files and the other empty.

The Taranis would boot fine up but none of the SD card could be seen on the radio being on a 2nd partition.

So I had to go back in and wipe the drive and reformat it FAT32 again not creating the TARANIS partition.

I copied the SD card contents in again and moved the new OPENTX2.3.5 Firmawere into the FIRMWARE folder again on the SD card, reentered bootloader mode and reflashed the Taranis.
And this time all was working well.

After that I booted into the radio and some of my models were sort of screwed up so I had to get the freshly backed up models eepe and reload it into the radio and all was good. For some reason the only hickup I've had so far is that next sim had to be reset up but not Phoenix. I haven't tried any real helis yet, too windy today.

Still running 2.1.6 I didn't know that since 2.2 the BMP folder is no longer used. Startup Splash and Model images go into a folder called IMAGES now on the SD card. So had to go back in and move all those .bmp's over to the IMAGES folder in the SD card which was simply plugging in and moving them just like a USB drive.

Im happy to be upgraded! Just thought I'd share it for the new comers who will one day brick their Taranis.
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2020, 06:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
KJH
Registered Users

Thank you for posting this. I have a Taranis X9D+ purchased December 2015 that has OpenTX v2.1.8. Everything is working great (even have Amber sounds). I've dreaded upgrading to OpenTX v2.2.x or higher.

I've recently purchased another X9D+ that I've been using as a test bed to update OpenTX (v2.3.5), update firmware, update Amber sounds and move some models to.

I'll use refer to your post if I get stuck. Thanks again!
Old 01-20-2020, 04:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default ATC Voltage Low Warning with OPEN TX 2.3.5 .46V

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJH View Post
Thank you for posting this. I have a Taranis X9D+ purchased December 2015 that has OpenTX v2.1.8. Everything is working great (even have Amber sounds). I've dreaded upgrading to OpenTX v2.2.x or higher.
I've recently purchased another X9D+ that I've been using as a test bed to update OpenTX (v2.3.5), update firmware, update Amber sounds and move some models to.

I'll use refer to your post if I get stuck. Thanks again!
I wish I knew exactly what went wrong.

When I did get the Taranis back fully functioning to where I could reflash it it was still running old 2.1.6 Firmware.

Maybe it was just my SD cards time to go. When a drive comes up with in/out errors I don't think I've ever seen one recover from it.

The new upgrade has brought me an ATC voltage low warning.
Every time I boot up the 1st thing I see is WARNING ATC voltage low .46V press any button to continue.
The TX also vibrates with the warning.
Its scary to think what might have come of that not even knowing it had one that's about dead.

Supposedly it keeps EEPOM memory alive.

I could find zero info on what that actually is. Someone on youtube answered back and told me what it is.

Actually the guy hosting the upgrade video tutorial.

Its a little coin cell 1220 Lithium battery. https://alofthobbies.com/1220-lithium-cmos-battery.html
Its dangerously low and I had no idea it had one.

Also I noticed the system date goes to 1970 every time I reboot. It won't keep system time any longer.

Last edited by Bladecpnitro; 01-20-2020 at 07:46 AM..
Bladecpnitro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2020, 09:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

That little battery is probably giving power to the RAM that holds all of the Tx's settings - hence why it keeps reseting to 1970 (probably the default date).

I would make sure that you back up all of your settings to your PC ASAP so that if you do loose it all you can reload them easily.
Mikej is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2020, 10:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
That little battery is probably giving power to the RAM that holds all of the Tx's settings - hence why it keeps reseting to 1970 (probably the default date).

I would make sure that you back up all of your settings to your PC ASAP so that if you do loose it all you can reload them easily.
I did backup everything soon after I got my radio back to where I wanted it. Thanks.
I guess I'll have to flash my 3 Frsky Rx's now?
Old 01-20-2020, 10:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
KJH
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladecpnitro View Post
I guess I'll have to flash my 3 Frsky Rx's now?
There is no corresponding firmware for receivers to go with OpenTX on the transmitter.

That being said, FrSky has just released firmware for the XJT internal module for most of their radios and receivers. This is considered a critical update. https://www.frsky-rc.com/important-f...ate-accst-d16/

In my testing, I found that once I installed the firmware update on my Taranis, I needed to install it also on my receiver (X8R in D16 mode). Without the update on the receiver, it would just flash red and not be bound to the transmitter. As I understand it, all D16 mode receivers will need the update to communicate with an updated transmitter.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJH View Post
There is no corresponding firmware for receivers to go with OpenTX on the transmitter.

That being said, FrSky has just released firmware for the XJT internal module for most of their radios and receivers. This is considered a critical update. https://www.frsky-rc.com/important-f...ate-accst-d16/

In my testing, I found that once I installed the firmware update on my Taranis, I needed to install it also on my receiver (X8R in D16 mode). Without the update on the receiver, it would just flash red and not be bound to the transmitter. As I understand it, all D16 mode receivers will need the update to communicate with an updated transmitter.

I went ahead and downloaded the firmware for my 3 RX's. I have an X6R on my Trex 550, an X4R-SB On my Gaui X3 and an D4R-11 waiting for a place to ride. The D4R11 Firmware is so old I doubt that its any newer than what came on it.

Looks like all I have to do to flash them all is to copy over the latest RX firmware to the FIRMWARE folder in my Taranis SD card.
Then plug in a servo lead to the SMART port of the RX and into the Module Bay of the radio being careful of polarity.

Then scroll to the SD card in the TX, go to FIRMWARE and flash them all from there.

I noticed one thing in Companion 2.35 that I don't particularly like. Its not a deal breaker but now all the switches are right to left, A thru B instead of having E, F, A and B switches on the left side where they are on the radio, now we have A, B, C and D all on the left side.

Why they did that I have no clue. Sometimes progress goes backwards.
I can live with it just have to hunt for switches now.

At least the new radio firmware does warn about the ATC battery. I have one now its very tiny compared to a coin cell in your PC. Its about 1/2 inch across.

Last edited by Bladecpnitro; 01-25-2020 at 08:25 AM..
Bladecpnitro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2020, 05:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have my clock battery changed now. Walgreens had the little CR1220 Lithium battery.

That little guy is some kind of tough to get out. I wish I'd used a tiny awl with a hook instead of how I did it. The battery has to be pulled over to get it out from under 2 keepers and lifted up.Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1459451190.138299.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	838321

You have one tiny window to get a tool on the battery because it sits down in a cup so to speak.

If you don't have the updated firmware that checks the clock battery voltage referred to as ATC battery the easiest way to know if yours is dying is to watch your system clock. It will quit holding system time and revert to default with every reboot.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for that. I've been going nuts trying to set the date/time on my x9d. I can't program it yet but I'm just starting to TRY. I was getting very frustrated because I couldn't set the time never mind program a model!
Build in progress Tarot 450 Pro V2
franknsled is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2020, 01:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default FrSky XJT firmware V2

I'm informed that the v2.0.1 firmware upgrade for XJT etc. RF modules is very buggy and it's recommended not to use it yet. Same goes for the necessary v2.0.1 firmware you would have to flash to receivers.
Scram is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in