Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2020, 07:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Does my 230s V2 BNF need any tuning?

I paired my 230s V2 to my DX6I, using the tx settings recommended in the manual. I've noticed when trying to hover inside that it always wants to veer one way or another. When I try to trim to counter act, it will eventually veer in the other direction.
The only reason this bothers me is because when I fly the same model in RF9 sim, its so much more smooth and stable. I've always heard people say RF9 was incredibly realistic, but the sim doesn't feel same as actual flight.
xxxleafybugxxx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2020, 08:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have you performed a trim flight? You may need to do the trim flight a couple times to settle the helicopter down.

Danny

Blade Nano CPS, Blade 230s, MotionRC 450 UH1, Trex 550e, Taranis X9D+ with IRX4+
DannyR is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2020, 08:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I also use a DX6i with mine. I tried "trimming" mine etc. but it would still drift. I finally decided to adjust the ball links to the swashplate to "trim" for a stable hover. Worked like a charm and it lifts off clean and holds a good steady hover (in no wind).

Just pop the links off to adjust the swash to tilt the way you need to correct. For Left/Right make sure to match the number of turns you do on each side, like 1 turn out on the left = 1 turn in on the right. Forward/Backward is the single link on the front of the swash.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I will take a look at the swash plate.

I don't know if you can do a trim flight with the DX6I? All videos i've seen online of doing a trim flight are using a newer transmitter.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

You are going to get a lot of backwash off the floor and walls/furniture hovering inside. I wouldn't worry about doing anything until you've hovered and flown it outside several feet high off the ground.
Phaedrus likes this.
BrokeDad is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2020, 10:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxleafybugxxx View Post
To be clear, it is not a visual thing. I put it into a hover outside in zero wind. See what it does. If it is drifting significantly or requires holding a constant stick position, then I adjust the swashplate until it holds steady. I'm not looking at the swash to see if it is level, etc. All adjust is based on what it does in a no wind hover.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have flown it numerous times outside. Its normally like this. This is just what i notice when hovering inside.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
Quote:
To be clear, it is not a visual thing. I put it into a hover outside in zero wind. See what it does. If it is drifting significantly or requires holding a constant stick position, then I adjust the swashplate until it holds steady. I'm not looking at the swash to see if it is level, etc. All adjust is based on what it does in a no wind hover.
This is good advice and I will give it a try. It also does make sense that there could be some backwash from trying to hover in a room. Even though it is a fairly empty 14x14 sq ft room or so...

My biggest problem with trying outside to assess will be finding a time when there is truly no wind whatsoever. I live in Central Indiana and I am very hard-pressed to find zero wind.... But I will give it a shot and report back.

Did you set up your dx6i according to the instruction manual? Having this model is tempting me to get a newer transmitter so that I can properly set up 3 flight modes like it is designed for.
Old 01-23-2020, 01:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

DX6 is a great value.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 Adjust servo arm links to swash plate until there is no drift. Pretty sure trim and radio subtrim confuses FBL. Mine are always zero.

Dave
Phaedrus likes this.
dwoof is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2020, 02:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoof View Post
+1 Adjust servo arms to swash links until there is no drift. Pretty sure trim and radio subtrim confuses FBL. Mine are always zero.

Dave
Would you start by adjusting arm position by servo slot, or by screwing/unscrewing the arm itself?
Old 01-23-2020, 03:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Would you start by adjusting arm position by servo slot, or by screwing/unscrewing the arm itself?
You pop the ball link off at the swashplate and adjust as needed to stop drift. I did nothing with the "arm".
Old 01-23-2020, 03:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm going off memory of my V1, but If I remember correctly, trim and subtrim should not be used at all on V1 or V2. Trim and subtrim should be centered, and I don't think you're supposed to adjust the swash to correct a drift either. The servos should be centered, and the swash should be leveled, and then a trim flight.

I know I performed a trim flight with a DX6I on the V1, and also performed the servo and swash adjustments too. You have to enter certain modes in the FBL to make the adjustments.
Phaedrus likes this.

IF IT CAN'T BE FIXED WITH DENTAL FLOSS, THEN IT CAN'T BE FIXED..LOL
Liduno is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2020, 06:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

NEVER use ANY trim in ANY FBL helicopter.
NEVER adjust the swash to attempt solving any flight "issues". The only adjustment that should EVER be done to the swash is levelling it. Thats it. Nothing else.
NEVER alter the hole in the servo arm that the swash link is installed into. It needs to be in a specific hole, and stay there.

What TO do:
Make sure servos are centered when entering servo centering mode.
Make sure swash is level also while in servo centering mode.
Trim flight.

done and done.

Slight drift is 100% normal with all helicopters, even in stability mode.

Also, you should NOT be flying a 230s indoors, unless its a warehouse type scenario with a LOT of open space. A house is NOT a safe place to fly a 230s
The_Fox likes this.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

So I just found out online to do the trim flight with the dx6i you have to power on with elev d/r switch on. I just tried that and it worked, the swash plate did it's little shimmy.
To properly do the trim flight, do I power on in trim a flight mode, do a hover for about 30 seconds and then turn the transmitter off keeping the elev d/r switch activated the entire time?
Old 01-23-2020, 07:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't believe that my trim flight data is saving. Initially I tried to fly keeping the switch in its initial position to enable trim flight mode, but I couldn't get the heli off the ground without it wobbling side to side.
I am not really sure what having this enable does. I did notice that from a stationary position, when I flip the switch from up to down, it moves the entire swashplate down a bit, although it still stays level.
So then I tried again after starting the transmitter in trim flight mode, disabling the switch back to its original position, but then it appears that it didn't save my trim data.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just read up on the trim flight on the manual.
I thought most of these features were because of the transmitters, not the heli.
I guess the heli is what has all of the features.
motoxxxman likes this.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I just read up on the trim flight on the manual.
I thought most of these features were because of the transmitters, not the heli.
I guess the heli is what has all of the features.
correct.
And re-read my comment above. It is crucial information.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxxxman View Post
NEVER use ANY trim in ANY FBL helicopter.
Agreed

Quote:
NEVER adjust the swash to attempt solving any flight "issues". The only adjustment that should EVER be done to the swash is levelling it. Thats it. Nothing else.
Odd, "leveling it" seemed to solve my drift. And i did not have random "drift". I had to hold about 1/3 left aileron and 1/4 "up" elevator to hold a relatively stable hover. Adjusted the swash to remove the need to hold the sticks off center and now it is a great flying little ship.

Quote:
NEVER alter the hole in the servo arm that the swash link is installed into. It needs to be in a specific hole, and stay there.
Agreed.

Sorry I did mine "wrong", but it seems to fly just fine. Go figure.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:09 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
Odd, "leveling it" seemed to solve my drift. And i did not have random "drift". I had to hold about 1/3 left aileron and 1/4 "up" elevator to hold a relatively stable hover. Adjusted the swash to remove the need to hold the sticks off center and now it is a great flying little ship..
That's why I stated the only adjustment that should be done is to level it. If the swash isn't level, it can cause issues. And adjusting the swash to level can solve those issues. But the swash should always be adjusted to level to begin with. My statement was merely stating to not adjust the swash away from level in an attempt to solve any issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in