Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > OpenTX Radios

OpenTX Radios OpenTX Radios Discussion and Support Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 04fxdwgi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2020, 08:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Suggestions for someone new to opentx

Iíve never owned an opentx before and I mostly fly spektrum but I do have a few micros on futaba protocol. Basically Iím on a fixed budget and currently using a hobby king dsmx tx so I really need to upgrade my radio and spektrum is so over priced for what they offer.

Iíve been looking at the jumper t16 pro which seems to bring a lot to the table for a reasonable price I just havenít found much information on it when it comes to using it with helis. I realize that the programming on a open tx is a lot different from say a spektrum but from the videos Iíve seen on YouTube it doesnít look That hard to figure out for planes but helis might be a different story.

So how good is the jumper t16 for a heli?
Also I hear a new version is coming out soon maybe I should wait
Cardin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2020, 03:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a Spektrum DX9, Turnigy 9XR, FrSky Taranis X9R+ SE and a Horus X10S.

The X9R and X10S both run OpenTX and are really quite easy to program once you get the hang of it. Best part is, they can be programmed and tested on the PC using OpenTX Companion software before ever flying a model.

They work amazingly with all the protocols, as I have the JP4in1 modules in both radios so I can use models running DSM2 and DSMX. The option of using a plug in external module is a HUGE advantage / feature. The Horus X10S is by far my favorite.

I would suggest you pick up a used OpenTX radio from one of the forums (RC Groups has a bunch of them for sale) to see if the operating system is one you are comfortable with before spending on a new one. If it's all good, then jump in and get get a newer radio / one you really want.

Just a little warning: With OpenTX being opensource operating system / firmware, the info stream on the internet can be a bit overwhelming and you will wind up reading for days. But, keep it simple and it will all come to you quite easily if you are comfortable with actually programming stuff.

The versatility of the two FrSky radios I have is just amazing an I'll never go back to Spektrum (or any DSM only protocol based radio).

PS: I fly a Trex 550e DFC Pro heli with a Spirit Pro and GeoLink using the 3 Spektrum satellite receivers on the Taranis and / or the Horus. The programming was a snap, as there is a LUA script that assisted in setting up the Spirit in OpenTX. Couldn't have been easier.
xoexoe likes this.
04fxdwgi is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2020, 05:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

There are some very active OpenTx threads on RCGroups - but they tend to get a bit feral. I went through the same path as you about 18 months ago - I now have about 6 helis on Opentx (QX7 in my case) and about 10 on my DX7.

I love the easy access to low cost telemetry, voice prompts, cheap receivers, Spirit integration, HobbyWing integration, more channels etc..

When I started with OpenTx I have set up my helis to be as similar as the Spectrum as possible - i.e. Flight Modes via curves etc. but it was still quite a lot of re-learning
Mikej is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2020, 10:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

04fxdwgi, I noticed your in NC. I'm near Lake Norman. Trying to get my head around my new X10 Access. There is so much information about updates it makes it very confusing for someone new to Frsky and Opentx. I haven't switched mine over yet but hope to soon. Anyway if your near by hit me up.

Brad
Race City flyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2020, 08:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

There are people that I know that use the T16 and QX7 to fly their 700s.

To make this short; since the flybarless unit does all the mixing, once you build one model on your OpenTX transmitter. You can use that same build (copy) to use on all the rest of your heli's that you ever setup. Throttle hold, 2 or 3 position for flight mode/head speed, spring/momentary for Rescue if you have it etc etc.

The QX7, Horus, X9D & T16 all have integration with Ikon2 which is very nifty.

IF you dive into a T16 for example; it's like 4 transmitters in one; you go inside and select the Spektrum protocol and then you can bind your satellites and plug them in your Ikon2 or flybarless unit (if they accomodate that).

As far as learning about firmware updates and OpenTX itself. You're looking at about 2-3 hours of Youtube videos and maybe a few hours minimum of application trial and error.

Annnnnnd... Then you possibly will be posting questions on here and messaging some of the guys with the smarts to help you out.

Last edited by IndividualWon; 02-04-2020 at 10:09 AM..
IndividualWon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2020, 12:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndividualWon View Post
As far as learning about firmware updates and OpenTX itself. You're looking at about 2-3 hours of Youtube videos and maybe a few hours minimum of application trial and error.

Annnnnnd... Then you possibly will be posting questions on here and messaging some of the guys with the smarts to help you out.
Nailed it with the trial and error. Hahahaha

Iím just getting back into the hobby after about a 5-6 year hiatus and only flying Spektrum and Blade Heliís. Having to buy all new again, because I sold everything, I went with the T16 Pro.

Iím at 2 days in (5-6hours) and just got it bound to my 180CFX but cyclics arenít functioning properly but I havenít sat down and done the mixes. lol!
Itís a learning curve but if you understand computers and have previous experience setting up a heli, then itís not all too bad. Just learning the new locations of the functions, and possibly different names and whatnot, takes some time. Most my time has been spent updating mine to the newest firmware version 2.3.5. Synced the SD card. And now I have to buy more stuff to update the actual internal RF module, apparently? (Still very new to me)

If you picked up Spektrums stuff quick, then it may take a little more time up front but worth it with the customization you can do in the long run. And, itís half the price, or more, of pretty much any Spektrum Tx out there.

There is information out there, itís just a matter of finding it. And YouTube videos! Hahahaha

Happy programming!
Old 02-06-2020, 07:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Set channel order to AETR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
... Iím at 2 days in (5-6hours) and just got it bound to my 180CFX but cyclics arenít functioning properly ...
When using a 4-in-1 multiprotocol module (like the one built-into the Jumper), you need to set the channel order to AETR (even though the Spektrum wants to see TAER). The module firmware does the swapping around for you. (You can recompile and flash the module firmware to use any channel order you want, but the default order is AETR.)

You'll also need to reverse the ail and rud channels (1 and 4).
ridge-runner is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in