Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 100 Class Electric Helicopters

100 Class Electric Helicopters 100 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Thomas.Heiss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2020, 08:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default K110: Why is the ZERO pitch different when I turn both main blades 180 degree

Hello,

I think ZERO blade pitch (when both blades are folded into the same direction) is a general topic so I also want to place it in the 100er forum.

My thread from the K110 sub forum: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=861265

I don't remember that I have made this test on the Blade 4503D.
On the 450 I just measure one blade in the normal (spinning) position and use a pitch gauge.

And when I measure the pitch at the back over the tail boom to adjust it for ZERO pitch, then I know that I have to spin the whole head 180 degree so the other blade (in normal position) is again measured at the same spot.
You can probably also fold both 325mm blades back to roughly check for ZERO pitch; other videos suggest to do this with the heli lying on its side both blades looking to the left (or right), so 90 degree and not over the tail boom.

For micro helis a good trick also is to lift the heli with the nose up, so both main blades (into the same back direction) can freely fall (there might be some slop in the blade holder) and the servos do not have to work that hard and that there is not much swashplate slop.

Usually I do both.

Q: Do you have to tigthen the main blades or is the strength at the point enough where you fly the blades?
First I tigthen them and then I loose the screw slightly until the main blade can freely fall down.
Can't I use this setup for ZERO pitch measurements when I fold both blades back?

..(...)..

Of course, you can also measure at the front (both times), instead over the tail boom.

I am not sure what pitch measurements you get or should get if you turn one blade 90 degree from the back to the left side, then front side, than right side.

For example:
On the B450 the main shaft is not 100% vertical (it slightly leans to one direction)....so to do any fency swashplate leveling (e.g. with bubbles on this flybar heli) I first have to use some papers below the landing gear and correctly level the heli on the nick and roll axis.

I am not sure if you guys additionally check for left/right side of the rotor head or if you put two main blades (folded both back = same direction) from the back to the front to see if they are even or not.

This is what is now happening with the K110 that I get different ZERO pitch measurements at the tail vs the front.

I have no idea....

How the heck shall I correctly fine tune on the K110 the ZERO pitch with subtrim (collective channel) and also check for roughly correct blade tracking (to see if there are nasty vibrations, something is wrong with the head) when I get different measurements depending how what direction I align both main blades in the blade holders: Front vs back?

Can someone help me and push me into the right direction?
What part of the head might be wrong?

As I do have no pitch gauge for the K110, I have to use the main blade folding technique.

Thanks.

Best regards from Germany
Walkera Devo 10/DeviationTX (12CH DSMx & telemetry)...Ex-DX8...Blade 4503D...Walkera V120D02s...XK K110...Blade 200QX quad...Ex-NanoCPX...Ex-120SR...StrykerQ (LEDs, M2 tuning)...Ex-MPX EGP...PPZ P51-D...PZ Wildcat (searching fuselage-firewall)

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss; 04-30-2020 at 08:22 AM..
Thomas.Heiss is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2020, 10:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Check for main blade bend near root

Check if the main blade itself is bent near the root. The blades must themselves be straight for the folding back the blades zero pitch technique to be accurate - i.e. centerline of blade must be perpendicular to main shaft.

A bend in a main blade becomes apparent by installing it upside down. If the tip locates in the same place right side up and upside down, then the blade is straight, otherwise it is not.
ridge-runner is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2020, 11:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another thing. At zero pitch is the swash plate dead level? If, as you rotate the blades, they slowly separate and then slowly return together as you rotate through 360, you probably need to check this...
AMA #118235
BobHyatt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2020, 03:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

^^^Good advice above. Also take in to account the low quality swashplate, slop in the linkage, and servos. The swashplate servo link arms can be off or bent from crashing. After mechanical setup I fine tune pitch travel in the TX. Zero pitch with sloppy components just isn't going to be precise. It's a micro. You will go crazy chasing it. Also one crash can change things. Bent linkage or a ball link jumping a thread or two. Bent swashplate arm as mentioned.

CrashyCrashy
CrashyCrashy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2020, 02:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashyCrashy View Post
Also take in to account the low quality swashplate
Well, I have done all my tests with the black and red aluminium swashplates.

They usually are made (if they work, one red does not not) of better quality and with the additional brass ring on the inside there is way less slop than with the plastic stuff (where the inner whole is too big for the main shaft).
CrashyCrashy likes this.
Walkera Devo 10/DeviationTX (12CH DSMx & telemetry)...Ex-DX8...Blade 4503D...Walkera V120D02s...XK K110...Blade 200QX quad...Ex-NanoCPX...Ex-120SR...StrykerQ (LEDs, M2 tuning)...Ex-MPX EGP...PPZ P51-D...PZ Wildcat (searching fuselage-firewall)
Thomas.Heiss is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2020, 03:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, I prefer the aluminum swash. The plastic seems more forgiving when the main shaft is bent.

CrashyCrashy
CrashyCrashy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in