Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Jeti Duplex Radio Systems

Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Support

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2020, 05:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default OMP M2 with Jeti

The following is courtesy of Old Heli Dog on RC Groups. He has set up an OMP M2 with Jeti and here's how he did it.

3.24 SBUS does NOT work with REX receivers. Firmware is near the bottom of the page here:

https://www.espritmodel.com/jeti-firmware-updates.aspx

I've read that REX receivers can output SBUS but it is not tested in this application. Add your info to the thread if you make this happen.

edit: I checked a REX in device explorer and both E1 and E2 can output SBUS (firmware 1.14).

Dan

A friend of mine stopped over and asked for setup help so I had the joy of playing with this heli and it looks very promising and even better when flying a Jeti.

You want to use a R3 or R5 size RX or if you live outside the USA you can probably use a Nano RX. This is a small heli needs a small RX.

Go to the Jeti USA Esprit RC and download RX version 3.24.
There are two versions of this update and you will not download the wrong one if you get it there.

Download RX version 3.24 SBUS.
Be careful the other is 3.24 UDI and one is SBUS so download SBus.

Update the RX using the Jeti USB dongle and the file from the zip folder.
Click on the updater and update the firmware.

Once you update Bind the RX and we are ready to map the TX outputs to the M2 FC.

Important:
Take the mains and Tail blades off..

Now that your RX is updated and bound you need to power up the TX and RX and open device explorer.
Open the RX and find out what pin is being used for UDI output.
Its different on different RX's.

Time to map the TX.
Go to the
Servo Assignmen
screen.
See Picture it shows the mapping.

There are a few pins that need to be reversed see below.

Ch 1 Roll

Ch 2 Elevator. This channel needs to be reversed. Go into servo setup and reverse the output.

Ch 3 Throttle.
This channel needs to be reversed. Go into servo setup and reverse.

Ch 4 Yaw

Ch 5 Gyro

Channel 6 Pitch.
This channel needs to be reversed. Go into servo setup and reverse.

Now you can plug your Jeti RX into the SBus port of the M2 flight
controller using the supplied jumper.

I mounted the Jeti RX ontop of the OMP FC with antennas pointed forward and away from motor and carbon fiber.

Flight mode for this controller is not adjustable from what I understand or what I have found so far.

The OMP gyro / flight modes need to be on a 3 position switch to work right. What ever switch you are using for your flight mode this switch will also be used for the OMP gyro sence.

I set up my buddies FM switch like this.

Switch Away from you is Hover.

Switch center
idle up 1

Switch towards you Idle up 2.

In Hover mode the OMP FC is in non heading hold.

In FM1 and FM2 this is a progressive gain I believe.
So 3 will be more aggressive then 2.

Setup your motor kill switch and make sure it works during testing.

Now to test.
Throttle stick to 100 and plug in the battery for the helicopter.
Let it sit until the swash moves up and down and the gyro has stabilized.
Drop the throttle to Zero and this should set your ESC.

Now test your stick function and all stick inputs should match the swash output.

Now you can throttle up and the motor and tail motor should take off.

Bring your throttle up to 1/4 stick in hover mode and move the heli and check movement of the swash.
Everything should work accordingly.

NOTE,
The Gyro only works when the throttle is engaged.
You need to test to make sure your FM switch is in the right position so if this next test indicates different you need to reverse your switch in setup.

To do this start with your FM switch in hover mode and hold the heli in your hand. Spool up the heli no more then 1/4 throttle and tilt the heli in all directions making sure that the swash is moving opposite of what movements are being applied to the heli.

Still in hover mode with the throttle at 1/4 move the cyclic in all directions and the cyclic should return to Zero.
Now flip into idle up 1 and idle up 2 .
When you move the cyclic the cyclic should stay in what ever position you had moved the stick, thus being heading hold.
Once you flip your FM switch back to hover mode the cyclic should pop back to neutral.

This finishes the setup and bench testing.
Before you fly you will have to finish setting up your flight modes
Throttle curve
Pitch curve

OK now you can install the main blades and tail rotor.
Make sure that the mains and especially the tail rotor is installed the right way.

Give this setup a try and please contact me if you find any issues or other tricks so I cam pass this along to other Jeti users.

With this setup the helicopter I was testing broke ground and hovered perfectly.

The owner took it to the flying field and it was flying fine until he crashed.

This is as far as the testing had went.

Also.
This was setup on MODE 1.

So for MODE 2 or others please let me know if you have any issues with mapping. I cant see why there would be but in case there is then each of the 4 stick modes will have to be mapped individually.
Lets hope not.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200705_113712.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	867853
MeekaMoMo and Rabid121 like this.

Last edited by dogbreath; 07-08-2020 at 08:36 AM..
dogbreath is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2020, 11:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah I seen that, fantastic write up and hopefully I will get to try it one day as I'm quite interested to give these little birds a go.
MeekaMoMo likes this.
Old 07-07-2020, 01:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is great stuff. I've posted it on the OMPHobby Facebook page and I'll make up a 'How-to' for my own web shop (giving credit where it's due of course). I might do a video one I have my new M2 'in hand'.
MeekaMoMo likes this.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Old Heli Dog sent me a mode 2 model.jsn file, so it's attached with an added .txt suffix to edit off if you use it.

OMP.jsn.txt
MeekaMoMo likes this.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

The M2 was my first heli to be converted over from Spektrum. Couldn’t be happier! Now to convert the rest of the fleet!

Old 09-13-2020, 02:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks dogbreath this guide really made the OMP M2 version 1 plug and play and what a joy this little heli is to fly.

The channel assignments are spot on even though I am a mode 2 pilot including all reversals of channels you specified. The below are just some extra tips for setup on top of the guide above.

PLEASE REMOVE YOUR MAIN AND TAIL BLADES before doing anything. The heli most probably will spool up somewhere during the setup and even though it is small it can cause injuries.

Assign your throttle cut switch. This just makes the servo neutral setup much easier. You can even set the startup condition for it to be cut before radio will switch on.
On Jeti and using the guide above your Gyro % will switch between "Attitude" and "3d" mode. "Attitude" mode is heading hold mode but also auto levels the heli so very good for learning new people to fly.
From 0 - 100% on your Gyro-sens channel will be this "Attitude on" mode and the higher the %, the higher your tail gain. From -100% - 0% will be "Attitude off" mode and the lower the %, the higher the tail gain.
As an example -60% will be "Attitude off" with 60% tail gain and +60% will be "Attitude on" and 60% tail gain

To adjust servo end points
Power on heli and wait for blue and red LED to go solid which should be your default(hover/training/take-off) mode.
Throttle cut or 0% throttle curve
Move pitch(collective) to maximum
Move elevator to maximum and hold until the red led starts blinking(+-3 seconds)
Activate throttle again and keep throttle stick around 50% and servos will jump to neutral position
CH1 - Aileron/roll will adjust neutral
CH2 - Elevator will adjust neutral
CH3 - Yaw/rudder will adjust neutral
When all servo arms are centered throttle cut again or 0% throttle curve
Move pitch(collective) to the maximum
Move elevator to maximum and hold until led goes solid +-3 seconds
Power off the heli

You must now set your ESC end points
Move throttle to 100% and power on heli and once controller is initialized(swash jumps) move throttle to 0%
Your ESC end points are now set so power off the heli

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OMP.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	880403  

Last edited by Chippie13; 09-13-2020 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: Added image to show channel assignments, added version 1
Chippie13 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2020, 05:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippie13 View Post
On Jeti and using the guide above your Gyro % will switch between "Attitude" and "3d" mode. "Attitude" mode is heading hold mode but also auto levels the heli so very good for learning new people to fly.
From 0 - 100% on your Gyro-sens channel will be this "Attitude on" mode and the higher the %, the higher your tail gain. From -100% - 0% will be "Attitude off" mode and the lower the %, the higher the tail gain.
As an example -60% will be "Attitude off" with 60% tail gain and +60% will be "Attitude on" and 60% tail gain
Are you sure about the Tail gain comment? As far as I know tail gain is not adjustable from the Tx. To adjust gain you need to make the change in the flight controller. As I understand it channel 5 (conventionally the gyro channel on most FBL) on the OMP only adjusts the stability mode between 'self levelling' (positive values) and '3D' (negative values)

Tail gain is adjusted in the flight controller by selecting rudder>gyro and adjusting with the elevator stick. The number of blinks of the red LED indicate how high the gain is adjusted. For 100% sure I know that the blinking of the LED is not changed when you adjust channel 5 value.

Maybe you are referring to the M2-V1, not the new M2-V2 that I have?
Old 09-13-2020, 08:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I can't take any credit for good instructions, I merely passed them on. Glad it's working for you. Please anyone/everyone, feel free add any details, experiences, or other info that will help someone else. Dan
Old 09-13-2020, 08:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Smoggie

Yes I am referring to OMP M2 version 1 which I assumed is generally accepted as version 1 when there is no suffix my apologies if this caused confusion.

The newer models use the suffix "Explore" or "V2" and as far as I understand you are correct the adjustments are made on the flight controller.

I will edit my post to make sure it is clear which version I am referring to thanks.
Chippie13 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2020, 11:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkderf View Post
The M2 was my first heli to be converted over from Spektrum. Couldn’t be happier! Now to convert the rest of the fleet!
wkderf, any chance you can post a photo or describe how you mounted the Jeti receiver? Did you make your own complete cable, or did you use the OMP Sbus cable with a servo connector crimped to the other end?

Any other tips for connecting receiver would be appreciated! This will be the first heli I setup with my new Jeti, so assume I know nothing!
Limp_J is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2020, 06:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limp_J View Post
wkderf, any chance you can post a photo or describe how you mounted the Jeti receiver? Did you make your own complete cable, or did you use the OMP Sbus cable with a servo connector crimped to the other end?

Any other tips for connecting receiver would be appreciated! This will be the first heli I setup with my new Jeti, so assume I know nothing!
3B4EC390-C257-4A88-8C84-3D903C0FFDA8 by wkderf, on Flickr

4C29E1C3-C848-435B-A858-C741904294A8 by wkderf, on Flickr

C5866D35-33C5-4B64-AC3B-FA30C58118B9 by wkderf, on Flickr

I made a custom cable, but its identical to the Sbus cable you’d get from OMP, with crimped on servo terminals at the other end.

I used an R5Light receiver, zip tied underneath the bottom plate. The antennas point to the rear, with one antenna running up along the side of the heli, and one doing a 180 and running alongside the receiver. It fits quite well, and is plenty light for the heli. I used the info posted above for channel info, and borrowed the pitch & throttle curves from the Spektrum setup video posted by BuddyRC.

Last edited by wkderf; 10-17-2020 at 06:41 PM..
wkderf is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2020, 06:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you so much for the thorough reply! Can you tell me, what is the name of the connector that plugs into the M2? I have the OMP cable, but may want to make a custom longer one as you did.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limp_J View Post
Thank you so much for the thorough reply! Can you tell me, what is the name of the connector that plugs into the M2? I have the OMP cable, but may want to make a custom longer one as you did.
I wish I could help you there, but I found it my random wire harness bin in my shop. After 23 years in the hobby, Iíve accumulated a ton of random wire plugs & connectors in the hope that it would pay off one day.

I remember someone identifying the plug size / style in the OMP thread, so you may want to check there.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkderf View Post
I wish I could help you there, but I found it my random wire harness bin in my shop. After 23 years in the hobby, Iíve accumulated a ton of random wire plugs & connectors in the hope that it would pay off one day.

I remember someone identifying the plug size / style in the OMP thread, so you may want to check there.
Thanks again for the photos (they are above and beyond) and the suggestion on the OMP thread. If I find it, I will add the info here to hopefully help someone down the road.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

It looks like it might be a picoblade connector. Am I seeing it right in the photos, it’s a little smaller than a standard Spektrum satellite connector?

I found this on OMPs site:

https://ohiomodelplanes.com/products...31077698011210

The first picture looks like a JST-ZH (pitch 1.5mm - Spektrum). The second looks like a picoblade (pitch 1.25mm)

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...340302/6198144

https://www.molex.com/molex/products/family/picoblade
Old 10-17-2020, 11:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJW View Post
It looks like it might be a picoblade connector. Am I seeing it right in the photos, it’s a little smaller than a standard Spektrum satellite connector?

I found this on OMPs site:

https://ohiomodelplanes.com/products...31077698011210

The first picture looks like a JST-ZH (pitch 1.5mm - Spektrum). The second looks like a picoblade (pitch 1.25mm)
Brilliant. Thank you. You are correct, it is very slightly smaller than a Spektrum satellite.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:53 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

To make up a Jeti cable all I did was soldered a servo extension lead to the OMP SBus cable. Very easy and quick to do.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:21 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoggie View Post
To make up a Jeti cable all I did was soldered a servo extension lead to the OMP SBus cable. Very easy and quick to do.
Does the cable come with the helicopter?
Old 10-18-2020, 07:31 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJW View Post
Does the cable come with the helicopter?
It’s an add on part, which can be ordered. It is a bit short to mount the receiver to the bottom of the M2, unless extended as Smoggie mentioned.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:38 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

How do you set up the transmitter? Do you set the model up as a plane or as a heli? And what settings do you use? Thanks. I am using a DS 12.
foundryratjim is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in