Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Jeti Duplex Radio Systems

Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Support

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By TeroS
  • 1 Post By Esprit Model
  • 1 Post By myxiplx
  • 1 Post By jrman83

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2021, 10:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Buffer packs plugged into Jeti rcvr

If you do this with the buffer pack will it essentially provide the same type of protection? Or, is this something you don't do? I have a YGE 205HVT ESC I'm running and it has throttle and 2 BEC connectors and if I plug all of that in, no space left on FBL for buffer pack. If I plug one of the BEC connectors into the rcvr, would this provide redundancy still?

EGODRIFT Team, Lynx/Oxy Field Rep
jrman83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2021, 10:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would put the buffer to RCV just because of the microscopic potential-difference between RCV and FBL.

In fact I have it like that in one of my birds.
jrman83 likes this.
Old 02-15-2021, 10:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Okay, cool. I assume it charges up just like normal? Just wanted to make sure no negative effects from it.

Old 02-15-2021, 11:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The main disadvantage is that if the BEC fails the power will need to flow from the Buffer to the RX to the FBL...
Old 02-15-2021, 12:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

As long as the power flows.

Old 02-15-2021, 04:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
EspritModel.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrman83 View Post
If you do this with the buffer pack will it essentially provide the same type of protection? Or, is this something you don't do? I have a YGE 205HVT ESC I'm running and it has throttle and 2 BEC connectors and if I plug all of that in, no space left on FBL for buffer pack. If I plug one of the BEC connectors into the rcvr, would this provide redundancy still?
This is our solution for primary BEC and small backup Rx battery.

Voltario T60 is suitable for models equipped either with dual receiver batteries, or with ESC battery eliminator circuit (BEC) used as a primary power source, combined with a small backup battery.

https://www.espritmodel.com/elite-el...ba-s-bus2.aspx

jrman83 likes this.
Old 02-16-2021, 02:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, it works fine. Electrically that's all the same circuit, and let's be honest, if the receiver dies in such a way it no longer has a reliable electrical connection to the FBL you ain't landing that sucker anyway...

You need both the receiver and the FBL to be powered, so a buffer can be connected to either. If you're lacking ports in the FBL, your choices are essentially:

- Connect one BEC lead to FBL, one to RX, and connect the buffer pack to the FBL

- Connect both BEC leads to the FBL, and connect the buffer pack to the RX

The second option is slightly preferred as both leads from the BEC to the FBL are roughly the same length, with the same number of connections, and the same resistance. And it's often easier to wire this way too.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
jrman83 likes this.
myxiplx is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2021, 05:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxiplx View Post
The second option is slightly preferred as both leads from the BEC to the FBL are roughly the same length, with the same number of connections, and the same resistance. And it's often easier to wire this way too.
this... and it is in permanent use to delivery "real" power for "real" power-demanding (bec) flying i've done than too once on a heli (was just easier for cabling) and had it in use for 2-3 yrs. "in case of" (power failure) there is no hard 3d flying anymore, just as-smooth-as-possible auto and landing - there will not be 20a bec peaks anymore. as power rail on the Rx is common i had no fear doing so and i have never seen a difference to other helis (stabilization/peaks/voltage dips) that had the buffer directly connected to fbl. not on bench testing, not in telemetry logs, not buffer charging when powering the heli.

Ciao
Michael
Old 02-16-2021, 08:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks, guys. Appreciate the input. I think I will plan to plug directly into rcvr.

Old 02-16-2021, 10:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I fly with Kontronik Kosmik, Jive Pro and Kollibri ESCs. They each have two BEC outputs: one of them contains the throttle signal wire and the other is a slave power output with just plus and minus power. The lead with the throttle signal is connected directly to the throttle channel on my JETI receiver. I use the Kontronik governor rather than the governor in the ESC. The slave power lead goes to any spare port on the FBL unit. Per Kontronik's recommendation, I always have a backup 2S lipo connected to a spare port on the FBL or receiver through a heavy duty receiver switch. Your receiver and FBL unit are connected together via a single cable which forms a common power bus between the two so when it comes to power distribution, you can use any free port on either the FBL or receiver. This configuration has worked well for me over the past 10 years or so I've been flying helis. The 2S backup lipo remains charged at 8 volts which is where I set the BEC voltage. In all the years I've used this configuration, I've never had the 2S backup lipo go out of balance.....it just sits there at 8 volts waiting for the BEC to fail.
MKMAERO is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2021, 11:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Initially, I had the throttle signal connected to my Jeti rcvr. Although this provided me power no problem, it somehow caused an issue with using the FBL gov (did not go to my ordered speeds in FBL). This corrected itself when I hooked throttle signal direct to the FBL. Maybe I didn't have it connected into the correct port, not sure. This is the first ESC that has had 3 cables to plug into FBL. Usually they only have 2 with one being the throttle signal, at least with the only other type I have used (HW). Eventually, all of them will be replaced with YGE.

Last edited by jrman83; 02-16-2021 at 12:16 PM..
Old 02-16-2021, 11:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Ben. Another option is to connect the backup capacitor in parallel with the second BEC cable, eg using a typical Y splitter. Then you just have a single wire to plug into the FBL port that is both supplemental BEC and backup power. . I have done this in one of my Opto ESC helis. I preferred to have the capacitor as close to the FBL as possible, and that was my solution.
Old 02-16-2021, 12:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I thought about doing that. I don't usually like y-connectors, but I know it's an option. That was my backup plan.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
xoexoe likes this.
Old 02-16-2021, 12:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

The reason why the Ikon Governor didn’t work with the ESC plugged into the RX directly is because the governor was bypassed. (The ESC essentially got the flat curves from the TX) Fine if you’re using the ESC governor.

If you really want to plug the 2x BEC and the backup into the FBL you can:
1) pull the throttle signal pin from the throttle plug and insert it into BEC1 wire, then plug BEC1 into the FBL throttle out.
2) pull the RPM wire from the telemetry plug and insert it into the BEC2 signal position. Then plug that into the GOV port of the FBL
3a) plug telemetry data wire into either an open ExBUS port of your Jeti REX receiver
or
3b) into the 5 pin on the FBL
4) plug the backup into CH2

I believe the YGE uses JST-ZH similar to sub-micro servos, Spektrum Satellites. It’s just a 5 pin version.
Old 02-16-2021, 12:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've already put the rpm wire with one of the BEC cables. I do that on every system I have except Oxy 2. And I could pull the throttle signal wire from the cable and put with the other BEC cable, and I still may, but already had one floating ground wire in the bunch and didn't want two if I could avoid it. And I'm not trying to alter any plugs on the ESC side.

Asking about using the rcvr is just me looking at all my options.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2021, 12:50 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrman83 View Post
Initially, I had the throttle signal connected to my Jeti rcvr. Although this provided me power no problem, it somehow caused an issue with using the FBL gov (did not go to my ordered speeds in FBL).
Well yes. If you're trying to use a FBL governor it needs to have the speed controller plugged in so it can control it.

If you have your ESC plugged into your receiver, you're controlling the throttle signal from there and the FBL can't do a thing. It's basically the same reason we plug the servos into the FBL. If you want the FBL to do its thing and manage something for you, you have to plug that in directly to the FBL.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
myxiplx is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in