Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite)

Blade Helicopters (eFlite) Blade Helicopters (eFlite) CP, CX, mCX CX II, CX III. and others

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2020, 03:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Which one MCPX BL2 or 150s

Its been since 2015 or so since I have really flown and used to really love to fly my MCPX's. I have a couple still in my closet, one which is still brand new. I am looking for something to get back into flying and for now, fly mainly in my front yard and on the street in front of my house.

I have a few other helis and quads, one being a 230s. Since Horizon is having their 15% off summer sale and the 150s and MCPX BL2 are options I was wanting to pick one up. I always loved how crash resistant the MCPX was and how easy it was to fix.

Is the new version of the MCPX still pretty bulletproof? Are there any large benefits with the 150s over it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2020, 07:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you want a micro CP heli in the size of the Mcpx:

Get the XK K110 (1s, 62g, outrunner brushless main motor, 0720 or 0715mm tail brushed motor, good tail hold, real 3-axis (3G) mode).

It is more crashproof (1s, good plastic material).
- Cheaper part prices
- Separate ESC (you can flash BLheli onto it if you can solder to those three pads on this small board)
- cheaper receiver part price

HH is asking 220EUR for the Mcpx BL2 here in Germany (their website).

And when you check the sub forum you see that several people are having issues with the board and safe electronic and have to send back or undo their buy on Amazon.

You do not want to crash the Mcpx BL2 (2s) or 150s onto the concrete in front of your house, surely not.

I think the 150s (=180CFX frame) is already too big to fly somewhere in the near of a street. What is if it flies away / you lose control or it hits a car or another person?

Is there really not a single green field (parkflyer size) around your city with higher grass where you could let go of the 150s?

..(...)..

Those Blade 4-in-1/3-in-1 boards are not a really good construction.
Ask me how I know.

My 200QX 4in1 ESC is damaged because a BL motor was damaged which resulted in two burned mosfets and one small resistor after a while (not in the first months) because the BL motor winding was damaged.
Could not send it back to HH for a replacement after 6 months and my HH dealer is not able to do any SMD soldering himself either.

It even happened on the NanoCPX that the tail gyro was not working anymore after several weeks...but back in the beginning of 2013 (when there was no investor changes, no restructure, different support rules) HH offered me a replacement board for free...try to get this from HH in 2020 after several weeks or months with their "limited warranty support".

Those Blade board prices are insane...and if you are not lucky you may damage it over time if it is not broken out of the box.
If you hit with the Mcpx BL2 the street or a tree, it WILL affect the board sooner than later.

Because of this I would only fly this micro on a green field with higher grass as well.
But then the Blade 150s or OMPHobby M2 Explorer (EXP) probably makes more sense.

I saw a posting from someone on the forum (https://www.rcgroups.com/micro-helis-42/) that the 150s outrunner BL tail motor is much bigger and heavier than the tail motor on the M2?
But this person wrote in the thread that he was able to damage the M2 main motor bell.

Everything has its disadvantage.
Walkera Devo 10/DeviationTX (12CH DSMx & telemetry)...Ex-DX8...Blade 4503D...Walkera V120D02s...XK K110...Blade 200QX quad...Ex-NanoCPX...Ex-120SR...StrykerQ (LEDs, M2 tuning)...Ex-MPX EGP...PPZ P51-D...PZ Wildcat (searching fuselage-firewall)
Thomas.Heiss is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2020, 07:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just a warning ahead:

I have now here 3 not fully working ESCs from the K110.
But you can get them for cheap.

They give power, leds blink on the receiver, servos move, you can even spool up with 60-65, 75 or 85% throttle.

But when you try to constantly hover / fly them with the heli in the air (or when you hold it in your hand), the power goes down for several seconds and up again.
You can really hear it when the BL motor bogs down and you can see how it sinks down against the ground.

So quality issues are also the case for XK stuff (like the stupid red aluminium head block + holder parts or red alu swashplate which where the inner ring did not want to turn and goes not very rough / hard).
Luckily, my last replacement ESC from the spare box seem to be working...but I have now one missing ESC on one of the BNF helis.

But at least you can stock several eletronic parts to be able to exchange when something is not working right.
Motionrc.com in the US also carries XK helis and parts.
Walkera Devo 10/DeviationTX (12CH DSMx & telemetry)...Ex-DX8...Blade 4503D...Walkera V120D02s...XK K110...Blade 200QX quad...Ex-NanoCPX...Ex-120SR...StrykerQ (LEDs, M2 tuning)...Ex-MPX EGP...PPZ P51-D...PZ Wildcat (searching fuselage-firewall)

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss; 07-11-2020 at 08:10 AM..
Old 07-11-2020, 07:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't own the MCPX BL2, neighter the 150S. But lots of my friends do. I heared about issues with MCPX several times, but never some negative about 150S. I wouldn't need a second to decide, seems they made a real good one this time.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

For sure the linear servos from the Blade helis need some maintenance / cleaning.
So why would you want to buy a heli which use those linear servos?

Also an owner from the 130s (with linear servos) said in a thread on a German RC forum that the servo motor loosened in (inverted) flight as it was not properly secured/glued onto the servo housing and the heli crashed....obviously there also was no chance to get a warranty replacement from HH even this happened out of the box.

In contrast: The K110 has real cyclic servos with closed chassis; so far they work pretty good even they have plastic gears.
Crashed the helis several times into ground / grass and those servos hold pretty good under "normal conditions".

When I crashed it unplanned tail first (inverted) onto a harder trail I finally managed to break the front ELEV servo (gears)....once!

..(...)..

When I received one K110 BNF heli (I think it was #3), one installed cyclic servo was blocking when I turned it by hand...so I had to exchange it.
When I ordered 2+ spare servos from China one also had a bit rough servo gear (but worked still better than the other one).
I finally ordered 2x3 plastic servo gear sets so I can repair those three servos and they have already arrived from China ebay dealers.
Two other spare servos from China are just fine...same case was with a spare servo from our German XK dealer.

..(...)..

I know how these linear servos behave from the NanoCPX and if there are other options available, I rather would opt in for real cyclic / MG servos...and not the MCPX BL2.
But I have no idea how good the 150s real cyclic servos are.

Metal is not equals "hardened steel / Titanium" and you can see it on the H3050MG/H3055MG servos from the Fusion 270 or 230s for example that quality can be different and those MG gears might break on a crash compared to other servos which do not only have "metal" gears.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

First I don’t own a mCPX BL2 but have 2 150S plus 180CFX, mCPS (both stock and BL) and nanos (nCPS and nS2).

Per your requirements...would you fly your 230S in the front yard or even at street?

Per Thomas stated so, if you fly a 150S / 230S in such area, there’s potential to hit something/someone hard with it—— which may not be a good idea unless you’re pretty sure nothing’s there when you fly your helis. mCPX BL2 had a bit less of that concern due to its size.

And then...if you use a Spektrum TX and don’t have another brand of TX with you (or you just don’t want another brand named TX), then K110 may be out of your question. You may still think of a TREX 150X with a sat-rx though. Also consider an Eachine E160 / OMP M2 if you accept using a Sat-Rx with a BNF helis.

Back to your question. From YouTube it seems mCPX BL2 is pretty crash-proof, from coeshow’s YouTube clips. Main benefits 150S over mCPX BL2 were:
- bigger present in the air
- a bit longer flight time (using 3S 450/550mah lipo)
- more powerful (being a 3S heli)
- modular parts (separate ESC/FBL/RX)
- a bit easier to work on (screws are bigger at least — much friendly to my thick fingers)
- BLHeli-flashed ESC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HumanYeung is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2020, 10:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanYeung View Post
You may still think of a TREX 150X.
Also consider an Eachine E160 / OMP M2 if you accept using a Sat-Rx with a BNF helis.

Main benefits 150S over mCPX BL2 were:
- a bit longer flight time (using 3S 450/550mah lipo)
- more powerful (being a 3S heli)
Drawback Blade 150s vs M2 & others:

HH is using too many times their (limited) red JST BEC (RCY) plug.
If you want a better plug on a BNF product out of the box, better buy a different heli.

IMHO you should not try to manually swap plugs / solder anything as this might affect warranty with your dealer and HH as the vendor.
So this means you are fixed to the red RCY plug.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

The mCPX BL should be preferred for a beginner who needs to fly more often, with less down time. It's a clear winner with this idea in mind. The Blade 150s certainly has more power, but if you're a beginner, you suck badly enough that having it and crashing with it will keep you from actually getting better. I'm trying to drive this point home: don't think I'm above average enough to tame the extra power and want more fun so I can learn on the Blade 150s. That's a naive thought and misses the point of why the mCPX is a dominant learning heli over the 150s. Yes, you can learn on the 150s (as anyone can learn on any size), but the two main benefits of the mCPX are:

Being able to fly it at a conveniently accessible area/park if you don't have backyard access to a large area. People in a park hardly blink at a Blade Nano and think you're flying a toy when they notice it. mCPX BL will be heard and noticed and perceived as a fancier toy to most. Trex150X (I haven't owned a Blade 150s) will be seen no longer a kid's toy for sure for anyone close enough. If there was a "no drone" rule on the sign at the park 150+ size will make enough people remember and try to enforce if they don't like the presence of it, or don't like you for whatever reason...

Also, flying the mCPX BL over grass makes it near indestructible. If you cut throttle before hitting the ground, usually even if you crash with power, you'll rarely cause damage. The parts that may break are cheap and is more a matter of if you have them on hand. The Trex150X over grass was fairly safe as well (I was a much better pilot too of course), but the throttle cut needs to come sooner to avoid damage and since it's flying faster...it's not just a "time" sooner but an awareness of the pilot. The 150s is likely the same story.

The reasons I moved away from my mCPX BL has more to do with the transmitter. At the time I had a Futaba14SG for my bigger heli and DX6i for nanos and mCPX and disliked owning both. The 150X was me coming in as a non-beginner who didn't need to worry as much about crashes, and could tame the extra power. My overall experience with this mentality was "meh." Glad that I could use the same transmitter, but the 150x flight experience over the mCPX was not impressive. Possibly the Blade 150s flies better since it uses a different FBL, but the 150x certainly had the extra power that wasn't anything that would have caused me to step up alone. Short: right now if the mCPX BL V2 could be controlled with my VBCt, I would have ordered one yesterday.
ebonyseraphim is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2020, 01:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would suggest 150S or waiting for OMP M1 - a DD BL micro with 115-125mm main blades (should be coming in couple of weeks).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A84D6832-0067-4F1E-9944-A3BF62EF983F_1592824748841.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	869335  
Buzzing Around is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2020, 03:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I had the several of the old mcpx and loved them. But they couldn't do everything due to lack of power. the 150s can, its way over powered. its not a durable as the mcpx but it makes up for that in raw power. Tight sloppy tic tocs are my go to for testing performance and the 150s will not bog or blow out the tail. Hell, if they are on sale Im getting a second one, this heli fills all the gaps below a 380 size for me.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainDrain_dx View Post
I had the several of the old mcpx and loved them. But they couldn't do everything due to lack of power. the 150s can, its way over powered. its not a durable as the mcpx but it makes up for that in raw power. Tight sloppy tic tocs are my go to for testing performance and the 150s will not bog or blow out the tail. Hell, if they are on sale Im getting a second one, this heli fills all the gaps below a 380 size for me.

FYI HH is having a 15% off on several helis, 150S and mCPX BL2 included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HumanYeung is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2020, 07:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanYeung View Post
HH is having a 15% off on several helis, 150S
They don't have such a summer sale offer on their German website Outlet / Special section.

Here are the 150s parts: https://www.horizonhobby.com/search?...start=24&sz=24

Not available right now:

- tail boom (every time I bomb the B4503D into ground / green field, the boom needs to be replaced)
- feathering spindle set (as you say, the material is not very strong; the thing on the B4503D/450X - spindle is way too weak)
- bearing block set (not that I would think you need to swap alu parts in a crash)
- tail motor: Is this going to get corrupted in a crash more often? How can it be on "backorder" otherwise?

"Pre-Order" / discontinued:

- Carbon fibre main frame (just one side for $15)

The HH US site shows the frame part as "pre-order" while their German website lists it (as 180CFX) as "discontinued": https://www.horizonhobby.de/de/produ...80-cfx-blh3413

The listing of suddenly "discontinued" parts has caught my attention on the German website for several current Blade models (which are based on previous models) and seeing this feels very weird for an existing or potential customer.

How thick is the frame (one side)? 1,0mm, 1,5+mm? Probably not 2,0mm.

So basically this means that if the carbon fibre breaks on side side of the main frame, then you can throw away the Blade 150s / 180CFX heli as you cannot order a replacement "in time"?!?

Also what I do not understand:
If the US company (as the vendor) let produce their China factory like 500-2000 frame parts for the BNF kits and replacements, and this carbon fibre side is never corrupted in a crash, shouldn't there still be plenty of stock "spare parts" available?

And if you really need to change that part (or two) after a crash maybe because the frame is not thick enough (just a thought, I never have personally measured a 180CFX/150s carbon in real life) then a crash will be quite costly with additional 18-36EUR.

I hope someone from HH/Blade department reads this and cares to fix their EU/DE website if parts from current+old helis are wrongly marked as "discontinued".
Old 10-07-2020, 09:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a MCPX BL2 and love it. I used to fly over grass and crash a lot, but now I fly over concrete and am more careful.

It is very stable and predictable. However, it does have a high head speed so if you hit anything hard it is going to hurt. One important thing is that is has Rescue, so if you are careful crashing should be infrequent.

I haven't tried 150S so can't comment about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooba View Post
Its been since 2015 or so since I have really flown and used to really love to fly my MCPX's. I have a couple still in my closet, one which is still brand new. I am looking for something to get back into flying and for now, fly mainly in my front yard and on the street in front of my house.

I have a few other helis and quads, one being a 230s. Since Horizon is having their 15% off summer sale and the 150s and MCPX BL2 are options I was wanting to pick one up. I always loved how crash resistant the MCPX was and how easy it was to fix.

Is the new version of the MCPX still pretty bulletproof? Are there any large benefits with the 150s over it?
heli227 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in