Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2019, 02:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Upgrades Vs Stock

I've got one stock and one slightly upgraded 230. I've been flying the stock one recently and to be honest I am not sure with the 230 if there is any upgrade that is a must have on the 230. I've tried CF tail and main blades, upgraded motor RKH frame and metal blade grips. At my level of flying, which is nowhere near full on 3D, I cannot tell any real performance differences. Do others notice differences other than cosmetic?
Allan114 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2019, 03:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's a low power beginner micro. Adding tons of aluminum just weighs it down.
Adding carbon fiber blades may make it pop more, but it's a very lightly damped head designed for easier flight characteristics. It's like adding a turbo to a car without upgrading the brakes amd suspension.

When it fees like you need more than the 230s can deliver, it's telling you it's time to move on.

I've made the mistake of adding all these upgrades all the way to the cf and alum frame.

I could certainly tell a difference. My wallet was much lighter after a crash and the aluminum bits bent and carbon fiber cracked costing a lot of money that is better spent on a different heli.

Cf blades will make the most difference if you want to spend your money there. It's really the only decent thing but it still has very soft dampers in the head.

Spend time on your flying and simming. Not money on upgrades. The 230s is a fabulous beginner package as it is.

Now, if you like color and bling, no one is stopping you.
Sigluvr likes this.
Thickfog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2019, 03:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Save up for a nice bigger used heli that has a belt or TT tail. You will notice the difference especially if you do 3D. Forgo most all the 230S bling. I still have a ton sitting NIP never opened but out the $$$.
BrokeDad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2019, 05:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The CNC milled main gear will work more silent and allow better gear mesh.
1500mAh Nanotech Lipo will correct the center of gravity. And XT30 conectors will provide more comfort and durability.
Thats all you can improove - Blade 230S is nearly perfect stock.

If you like to bulid a scale modell out of it - you can spend a lot of money, for shure. Multiblade rotors, fenestron or notar tail, different scale body kits. That`s why my wallet is much lighter now.

Last edited by The_Fox; 10-01-2019 at 05:12 PM..
The_Fox is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2019, 06:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Agree with Thickfog. I had a 200 SRX that never flew quite right after tons of bling. Just kept increasing on my crash costs. Looks awesome still on my shelf (broken servos and electronics dead that I don't plan to fix - but it was my first heli after all so it stays on the fleet).

Then I eventually got a 230S v1. I also blinged it and I have to say the end product was one beautiful piece of machinery. After a lot of tuning it flew OK but I am sure today for a bit more practice after I overcame just hovering it wouldn't be as precise and predictable as I would like.

Plain stock it flew great. So just improve on the battery packs, that's about it. Everything else is designed to break and the replacements are cheap. It will still fly, albeit noisy with a ton of broken and fixed parts. If anything I would probably change the frame because it broke a lot and I think the CF can take a bit more of a beating. But the frame I got required me to play around with the positioning of the servos and reset a few things so get something that is just like stock but on CF/aluminum. I am sure it flies better with CF blades also but the stock plastic ones can take a beating, so again just keep it stock.

I may be wrong but I have yet to find a heli where they sell the assembled head. Really this heli is so easy and inexpensive to fix it's the perfect trainer full stock. This is my opinion at least.
Team Aeropanda / Podcast host Skids Up
toadiscoil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2019, 11:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Best upgrade to the 230s is an oxy 3. Don't get me wrong I loved my 230s v2 but man once I flew an oxy it wasn't long before the 230s went up for sale. As already mentioned if you feel its not perfortming to your current skill level then its time to move on. Yes its a bit of an advancement both in learning and in cost but flying between the 2 is night and day, was my experience at least.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Only upgrade I did was go fiberglass on the canopy.

I shortened a tail once like a half an inch to balance the cg. Made the tail work harder, but for my flying, didn't notice a big difference in tail authority.

I didn't fly any this season though, first I ever took off.

The 230 was right in the wheelhouse of everything I wanted in a toy helicopter. So l just never moved up.

I may never fly again.

If I had the money to trick out an oxy 3, I would certainly just buy four 230s v2's

I need quadruple redundancy.

Then I could just relax and fly.

So if I go full negative inverted into a concrete slab from 100ft I will still have three in the box.

Last edited by jackovart; 10-02-2019 at 07:00 AM..
jackovart is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2019, 06:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

230s v2 I have is complete stock. Flies great! Its honestly my favorite (not that I have many as you can see in my signature).
XL Power Specter 700
fiddle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2019, 08:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Best upgrade to the 230s is an oxy 3. Don't get me wrong I loved my 230s v2 but man once I flew an oxy it wasn't long before the 230s went up for sale.
Of course a pitch tail will always beat a direct drive tail. Depending of what motor/ESC you put in, it might have a lot of Power aswell. It wont need a Oxy to make this experience. A 6S Blade 360cfx might give you similar feeling.
Old 10-05-2019, 04:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fox View Post
The CNC milled main gear will work more silent and allow better gear mesh.
1500mAh Nanotech Lipo will correct the center of gravity. And XT30 conectors will provide more comfort and durability.
Thats all you can improove - Blade 230S is nearly perfect stock.
If you are trying to fly light 3D- get all the 230 can deliver, every gram of wt degrades performance. Silence and better gear mesh do not improve flying characteristics.
RCFred is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2019, 04:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Unless it's a part that wears out frequently don't bother upgrading. Any kit that's of good quality doesn't require upgrading.

Just fly it like you stole it. 🙂
Sigluvr likes this.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

only thing I upgraded on mine was adding a cnc swashplate
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3217.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	819065  
Sigluvr and Low_Cal like this.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick View Post
only thing I upgraded on mine was adding a cnc swashplate
Doing that on mine at the moment. I actually broke the stock plastic swash attempting a low-altitude flip. I have a pair of 230s I use for learning new stunts. Amazing how cheap and easy to repair this thing is!

I ran a carbon fiber tail rotor for a while to see if that would reduce the tail whinning noise and be more durable than the stock plastic one. Negative on both counts, so went back to the plastic.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:57 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

shoot - when mine crashes, it hardly breaks - usually only costs like $5 to fix!
XL Power Specter 700
fiddle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2019, 10:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low_Cal View Post
I ran a carbon fiber tail rotor for a while to see if that would reduce the tail whinning noise and be more durable than the stock plastic one. Negative on both counts, so went back to the plastic.

I trashed 2 of the carbon fiber tails in 1 week ! No problems with the plastic tails
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3270.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	819953  
Old 10-13-2019, 03:53 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

The ony worthy upgrade is fiberglass canopy as the orginal plastic is pure crap. The fiberglass will survive 1000% more in crashes. If you want noticable better performance, you will need to switch to a collective tail heli. Bcs really you cant compare the two in performance.
Thickfog likes this.
TomazB is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2019, 10:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomazB View Post
The ony worthy upgrade is fiberglass canopy as the orginal plastic is pure crap. The fiberglass will survive 1000% more in crashes. If you want noticable better performance, you will need to switch to a collective tail heli. Bcs really you cant compare the two in performance.
Unless you want max performance, in which case the added wt is not good. Fly heli w/o a canopy. It flies better. If you can't tell a difference, don't worry about it.
RCFred is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2019, 01:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomazB View Post
Yup. Forgot about this! Great addition.
Thickfog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2019, 05:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks guys an interesting discussion. As for a variable pitch tail I had the 180 helicopter and had no end of trouble with it. The maintenance hours per flying hour were terrible. I always seemed to be spannering it and it always had terrible vibration. Its now a retired heli with my MCX BL. I think for reliability and simplicity I prefer the electric tail. The 230 will do me for the sort of flying I do. I know at my age I will never make a good 3D pilot but with the sim and the 230 I am getting to grips with inverted circuits and backwards flying. Been at it for months though. I've recently flown about 30 flights without any maintenance on the heli, that would have been unheard of with the 180.
Sigluvr likes this.
Allan114 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2019, 05:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Running it on 4s did the trick for me. Until the tail motor burned out. 🙂 at 4s it was really usable for 3d. If we could get a tail motor that would hold up then I'd be happy.
roadracer96 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in