Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics

JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics JR and Spektrum Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ticedoff8

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2020, 05:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default updateing spm4651 reciever

question updating the software do you have to bind the reciever to the radio first to get the serial number to get the updates? and also the reciever that comes with the unit will not fit into the brain fbl unit do i need an adapter or something to make it work?>? and also what update cable do i need to update??
BLAZE86DUBZ is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2020, 09:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

You will need the SPMA3065 USB updater and the SPMA3066 SRXL2 update and adaptor cable. You do not need to bind the remote to update it. You do not plug this remote into the two side ports that normal DSMX or DSM2 remotes plug into. Your 4651T will plug into the CH2 port beside where you plug the throttle in. I would highly recommend, on a large helicopter 550 or larger, two DSMX remotes to plug into the side ports. If you have a small helicopter like a 450 to 500, the 4651T will work but one extra will be a good safety measure on the 500. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2020, 12:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

You also need to open an account on SpektrumRC.com and you need the Spektrum Programmer software that runs on Windows.
Then, when you start the software app, you enter your SpektrumRC.com account name and password.

Once you plug in the USB adapter and SPM4651T, the app will check to see if your receiver is in your account's list of devices.
If not, it will ask you to enter a "nickname". Then it will download the latest code and flash the receiver.
ticedoff8 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2020, 04:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I already have an account on spektrum it's been so long since I updated a reciever on there it was asking me for a serial number where do I locate it? Do I have to bind it to the radio first? Or can I find it elsewhere? And I have the crimping tool to make futuba ends can I make one of those cable's with the cable provided to use on the ikon?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 08-31-2020, 09:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

You have your choice of using the Spektrum Programmer or Spektrum Updater. Either one, start them up, plug in the USB cable with your remote already connected to it. Power up the cable with the Programmer or the Updater. It will connect to Spektrum and update the remote. If it needs to be registered, you will have the option right there so don't try and pre-register it. That's a waste of time and the remotes are not like the transmitters in how you get the serial number from them. Take care.

Don

PS: I have done two 4651T's and four 4649T's with the Updater. All are registered to my account with the Updater.
Old 08-31-2020, 11:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

What about the 4 pin wire that came with it did u use that wire as well I'm using a brain fbl do u have the pin out order a pic will be great

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 08-31-2020, 07:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

The four pin wire is not used. What comes with the 3066 cable kit is a three wire (four pin connector to plug into the 4651T) to servo connector cable. You use that one. Only three of the four wires are used at the present but don't ask me what the fourth could be used for in future updates. The last time I looked at a pinout diagram, the wire had no actual purpose other than a space holder so it didn't look incomplete. Take care.

Don

PS: The wire kit also comes with a female to female jumper that you use to update the 4561T once you plug in the JST to servo wire. Once the update is done, you leave the JST to servo lead on and plug that into Ch2 on your Brain. And I presume we are talking about a Brain2.

Last edited by Keyrigger; 08-31-2020 at 07:10 PM..
Old 09-01-2020, 11:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
What about the 4 pin wire that came with it did u use that wire as well I'm using a brain fbl do u have the pin out order a pic will be great
Thomas.Heiss likes this.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

"You have your choice of using the Spektrum Programmer or Spektrum Updater."
So, I need 3 pieces of equipment to get telemetry on a new Spektrum TX used with an iKON2 FBL? 4651T, SPMA3065 USB updater and the SPMA3066 SRXL2 update and adapter cable.
(And add 1 or 2 sat ant. to the iKON side ports.)
RCFred is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2020, 03:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

And your problem with that is? So forgive me if I seem to show no sympathy but if that is what is needed (and yes, I have all of that and more), then that is what it takes. You should have the updater cable as part of your standard kit so you can keep all of your receivers and some transmitters up to date and if you really don't want to spend a buck or two on the adaptor, you can (I have done three already) make up your own adaptor cable to connect to the iKON2. It's not that hard or complicated and it gives you access to telemetry and direct programming of the iKON2 from the transmitter. Win, Win. Take care.

Don

PS: Current 4651T remotes are already updated with the latest firmware so you don't need the update cable BUT if your LHS has older ones in stock, then you are pickled and will need it.
Old 12-15-2020, 06:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
And your problem with that is? So forgive me if I seem to show no sympathy but if that is what is needed (and yes, I have all of that and more), then that is what it takes. You should have the updater cable as part of your standard kit so you can keep all of your receivers and some transmitters up to date and if you really don't want to spend a buck or two on the adaptor, you can (I have done three already) make up your own adaptor cable to connect to the iKON2. It's not that hard or complicated and it gives you access to telemetry and direct programming of the iKON2 from the transmitter. Win, Win. Take care.

Don

PS: Current 4651T remotes are already updated with the latest firmware so you don't need the update cable BUT if your LHS has older ones in stock, then you are pickled and will need it.
Don, mine was a matter-of-fact question. You read something in the post that doesn't exist. But thanks for the reply- it all has been ordered.
Old 12-15-2020, 08:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Sorry, it didn't come off that way to me as it looked more like a question of exasperation that you had to order all that in order to get telemetry readout from the iKON2 using Spektrum equipment. My misunderstanding. Take care.

Don
Old 12-16-2020, 09:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
Sorry, it didn't come off that way to me as it looked more like a question of exasperation that you had to order all that in order to get telemetry readout from the iKON2 using Spektrum equipment. My misunderstanding. Take care.

Don
I have a history of needing just ONE more item to proceed, and my understanding of telemetry is "Novice", so just seeking confirmation.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
"You have your choice of using the Spektrum Programmer or Spektrum Updater."
So, I need 3 pieces of equipment to get telemetry on a new Spektrum TX used with an iKON2 FBL? 4651T, SPMA3065 USB updater and the SPMA3066 SRXL2 update and adapter cable.
(And add 1 or 2 sat ant. to the iKON side ports.)
The Spektrum sats come with the own cables when you buy them. If you need longer or shorter, then you can buy those from Spektrum. Those cables don't have anything to do with MSH Electronics.

As for telemetry with an iKON2 or Brain2; Besides a Spektrum transmitter that supports telemetry and a Spektrum receiver that supports SRXL2 you need one additional item (Spektrum SPMA3066 SRXL2 Update Cable, Rx-Servo Male & Female-Female) - not 3 (I don't count the Spektrum transmitter or Spektrum SRXL2 receivers as "items") - to connect the Spektrum SRXL2 receiver to the iKON2 / Brain2.
The SPMA3066 is really misnamed.

The only reason you "want" the TX/RX USB Programming Cable is to connect the SRXL2 receiver to your PC using the SPMA3066 adapter.
That's because the SPMA3065 only has an F-style servo connector on the end (to plug into the new AR-series receivers that support updates (like the AR9030T)) and not a mini 4-pin JST connector to plug into the SPM4651T.

Basically, Spektrum designed it this way and has nothing to do with MSH Electronics.
If you don't want to register the SPM4651T with Spektrum or update the SPM4651T firmware from Spektrum, you don't need them.
It saves you $20. And your don't have to worry about upgrades or warranty replacements for defective parts (there are none).

If you don't like having to buy the "extra" SPMA3065 cable for the SPM4651T to plug into the iKON2 / Brain2, buy a SPM4649T instead. The SPM4649T comes with the adapter cable that plugs into the iKON2 / Brain2.
Effectively, Spektrum, included the SRXL update cable with the SPM4649T instead of making you buy it.
And, it happened to work well with the iKON2 / Brain2.
Quote:
I have a history of needing just ONE more item to proceed, and my understanding of telemetry is "Novice", so just seeking confirmation.
Now, don't get started on how to integrate telemetry from various ESC into the picture. That's a whole new can-o-worms.

Last edited by ticedoff8; 12-18-2020 at 12:33 AM..
Old 05-25-2021, 06:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

I could not get the SPMA3065 to work on my new computer. The USB driver that automatically loaded recognized it but gave an orange triangle on the driver and it would not work. I went back to my old computer and it worked fine. Long term, has anyone found a fix for this?

Rick

Last edited by rdlohr; 05-30-2021 at 03:05 PM..
rdlohr is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in