Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2020, 01:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Collective "dead zone"

Setting up an SK720 that I picked up the other day and have a "dead zone" in the center of the collective stick movement. It gets to 0 degree and stays there for a good bit before moving on to positive or negative pitch.
Anyone know of a way to adjust the size of that dead zone? I didn't see it in the app or mentioned in the manuals. Just aileron and elevator.
sloan377 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2020, 11:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

That's normal during setup. The only way I know of to make a larger "dead zone" is to create one with the pitch curve. There is no adjustment setting to enlarge or reduce the current factory dead zone. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2020, 11:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

yeah I was looking to reduce it. Just seems excessive compared to my other setups. Its not exactly causing me any headache, more of an OCD thing I guess....lol. Thanks for the info Don!
Old 01-20-2020, 01:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, there is a way. It is in there to compensate for stick wear. I had to do it often when running Spektrum Tx's. I haven't had to mess with it since I went Jeti, yes, I am a Knight now. Lol.

Lemme check and I will get back to you since I haven't done it in like three years. It was or is called stick dead band and Alvin Chai did a good writeup on how it was done.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

As Keyrigger mentioned, this should only apply during setup, i.e. when the USB is connected to a PC. Does this dead band also occur when the USB is disconnected?
Old 01-28-2020, 04:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Actually, right on the main page, there is a Dead Band adjustment box. It is default set to 2% of stick travel around the center. With that in mind, the only stick that will actually have it active at the center is the rudder because you will be above (or below) center stick when you are actually flying. If you have a twitchy hold on the stick, increasing the dead band will help smooth out the servo movements. I am not sure if the dead band is a constantly moving setting that follows the position of the stick or not. It could very well be exactly what happens.

I am not sure that disconnecting the USB will automatically put the gyro into flight mode. I think the standard method of operation is to make the changes to the gyro then power down everything and start up normally. I do not recall that I ever left the power on to the gyro while I disconnected it from the computer. I am not sure what, if any, issues might come up. The pitch dead band (or slowdown) is there when the USB is connected and once the gyro is shut down and restarted with radio link only, that very noticeable dead band is removed and normal programming takes over. Hope this might help.

Don
Old 01-28-2020, 04:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The OP is talking about collective.
The dead band adjustments are cyclic and rudder - as far as I can see..

Edit - Don I stand corrected w.r.t. disconnecting the USB - I thought the point, already made, was that the collective dead band was merely a feature of the programming mode.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

I was doing a bit of research about what the 2% Dead Band is really referring to. It is 2% of the resolution of the travel, not the stick motion per se. If we have a total travel resolution of 1000ms, then 2% of that would be 20ms. However, if you set your stick Dead band to less than 2%, you may have constant buzzing from the servos when the sticks are at rest. The stick Dead band and the Setup dead band have nothing in common so there is nothing to worry about when you see the dead band while connected to the computer. Some of this is a bit off topic, though. Take care.

Don
Old 01-29-2020, 04:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nothing I've tried or adjusted has impacted the collective that I was initially asking about. I understand what the dead band is with regard to the right stick but nothing changes collective.
Let me know if you guys come across anything
Thanks
Old 01-30-2020, 12:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

If you are asking if the dead band, while connected to the computer, is adjustable, then no, it is not. It is a fixed setting that is used to set the collective so you have a dead area right at "0" to level the swash. This does not work during normal operations. I thought that was answered. If this is still not the case, please make a more detailed description of what you are doing and when. Product support has long gone away so this is the best that can be found. Note: I am about to take out the last of my Skookum gyros after nearly 10 years of service. Take care.

Don
Old 01-30-2020, 12:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

To be clear Sloan, when you are not in setup mode, i.e. powered up and ready to fly, do experience a dead zone on collective?
Old 01-30-2020, 02:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

It when it is not hooked up to a PC or in setup mode. It is when powered up, ready to fly...that is the situation I'm asking about.
Old 01-31-2020, 06:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

That, is done with your Tx. The other dead band is to take account for stick slop or wear during setup. Most my Spek Tx's I could watch the numbers move on left stick without touching the sticks during setup so I widened the zones around zero.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

You think?
Idaho Spud is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in