Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Jeti Duplex Radio Systems

Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Support

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By fastflyer20
  • 1 Post By myxiplx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2020, 02:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Considering a Jeti DS-12

Hi,

I currently have a perfectly serviceable Futaba 8FG.

I want (rather than need) a new transmitter to bring me into the telemetry and big colour screen computerised radio.

I started of looking at the Futaba 16SZ and the 18SZ purely because I have always had Futaba and don't really know anything else.

A member on here suggested I look at the FrSky Horus X10S Express instead and I did come close to buying one.

Then another member alerted me that FrSky were bringing out new models (X20 and X24) and that I might want to check them out first.

So I've been following an X20 thread for some weeks and Jeti was being discussed by a small group so I had a look at them.

So I'm now looking at the Jeti DS-12 special edition, unsure what software so probably the full lot just in case.

I know you can buy the individual modules as you need them but to be honest when I look down the list I'm really not sure what I will need so leaning towards just buying the top package.

But I wonder whether I am simply buying too much. I am an occasional recreational flyer, I'm not that good and I don't have expensive aircraft. Learning to fly an Align 470 and if goes well would like a Logo 550.

It's not so much the expense, I can afford to treat myself, just wondering whether I'm being silly buying much more than I am capable of using. Will I just be the fool who has all the gear but can't use it.

Also whether this would lock me into expensive receiver and telemetry options.

Interested in your views.

Cheers,

Nigel
nheather is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2020, 02:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have been into RC for many years and owned a number of Futaba, Spektrum and JR transmitters before checking out every brand like you are and getting the DS14 around 5 years ago. My desire was flexibility and telemetry, which Jeti nailed both. I added and moved switches just how I wanted it. I started with a few modules, then purchased a few more once I was more familiar with how I wanted to use the TX. It's nice that you do not have to get all of the modules and can save some $$$$. You can added modules at any time so if you forget one, add it, no big deal.

On the receiver/telemetry end, IMHO that is the big commitment when a pilot changes brands of transmitters. There is no getting around that part. Jeti offers more telemetry than any other brand and the hardware is top notch. I have different FBL's on it including Brains and a Spartan that are integrated and a few Neo's too.

In the end, a TX is a preference, there are some nice choices out there. I am very pleased that I moved over to Jeti and always look at new TX's, but I finally found one that meets my original requirements and still does years later.
FrankFuss and nheather like this.

TRM Power
CAUTION - my posts are based on my experiences, yours may be different.
fastflyer20 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2020, 03:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastflyer20 View Post

On the receiver/telemetry end, IMHO that is the big commitment when a pilot changes brands of transmitters. There is no getting around that part. Jeti offers more telemetry than any other brand and the hardware is top notch. I have different FBL's on it including Brains and a Spartan that are integrated and a few Neo's too.
Many thanks for your words of advice.

Swapping radios is not that much of a commitment. Yes I have two or three FASST receivers but only one of those is SBUS and none of it has telemetry.

But on the other hand I could just stick with what I have, it is more than good enough for my ability and flying style.

Nigel
nheather is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2020, 03:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The two features I enjoy the most have been mah consumed for my electric helis tied to a voice alarm. While it’s not a requirement, every time I fly an electric I get max flight time without over discharging the batteries. And a very nice voice tells me the mah consumed

I also flip a programmed switch and the voice tells me how long I have been flying which is handy for nitros and gassers.

The support on the forums is also the best in the business, a few super knowledgeable pilots have them and exploited many capabilities so it’s easier for the average guy to tap into some features I never originally knew it could do.

TRM Power
CAUTION - my posts are based on my experiences, yours may be different.
fastflyer20 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2020, 05:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had an open source radio many, many years ago. When it started to fail on me, the only high end radio I could find with anywhere near that level of freedom and flexibility was Jeti. I'm running an entry level DS-14, so the DS-12 you're looking at is a decent step up from that. I went with Jeti figuring I'm going to be in this hobby for the long haul, and I wanted a radio that could grow with me, and handle anything I might want to fly in the future.

You can fly anything with Jeti, from a foamie to a heli, a lightweight drone, or a $20k scale jet. Tons of options for receivers and redundancy, and top notch telemetry across the board. I even have a sub 100g indoor F3P model that has full battery voltage telemetry!

The flexibility and ease of use are what I love, once you get the hang of the menus it's easy to configure a model, and there are some superb tutorials and YouTube videos out there.

Then there's the fact that you can tailor the radio. Swapping switches is a 10 minute job - pop the back off, connect the new switch, and the software detects it automatically guides you through checking your model setups are good. Over the years I've wound up swapping out a few switches as my needs changed, and Jeti really makes that easy.

And for a heli pilot, no other radio has integration with so many different FBL units. I can program both my Spartan and Ikon systems straight from the radio, and trust me, once you've experienced how simple that makes setup and tuning you don't ever want a radio without that feature!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2020, 09:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can't really add much to the great responses already posted other than I would be very very surprised if you were disappointed in the purchase of a Jeti. I have the 12 and cannot see myself changing anytime soon.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

The voice call out that can be set when a switch is flipped is not only nice in the air, it will save a lot of head scratching when you use a model you haven't flown in a while. Set a call out for ALL your switches.

No, this isn't how I went bald, but it might have contributed.

Dan
Old 11-27-2020, 03:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great point, spoken telemetry plus easy upload of custom voice alerts and the ability to assign voice announcements for any switch is a huge plus.

That and the pre-flight switch positions are two absolutely invaluable features. You can assign your preferred, safe, startup switch positions and the radio gives you an on-screen visual indication of which switches are in the wrong positions as you switch on, and it won't bind to your model until you have everything in the correct places.

My pre-flight checks these days are:
- Turn on the Jeti
- Set the switches as prompted by the radio
- Turn on the model

100% safe, with everything correctly set every time, regardless of model. Throttle off, locking switches set, flaps set, gear down, the works!

I do have two Spektrum radios and that's the feature I miss most. Time after time I'll power up a model on the Spektrum and find one switch has gotten knocked or I've forgotten to check it.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
dogbreath likes this.
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in