Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Synergy Model Helicopters > 696

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By smittylube
  • 2 Post By Ivan
  • 1 Post By Kinger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2020, 09:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default tt gears durability question

I'm so weary of TT gears. I've had so many of them blow out in flight over the years on different helis. I recently had a T-Rex 650x give out with less than 10 flights on it. that Heliwas coming right at me and was completely destroyed. I mainly stick the belt drive helis these days mostly except I had to give that helicopter a try. I've never seen any postings on Matt's helis about TT gears breaking and I know that 1.25 pitch and super strong. but I'm just curious and asking cuz I'm eyeing getting a 696. I currently don't have any 700 helis just my kraken 580 and I'm looking for a 700 heli
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2020, 10:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

150 flights so far on mine and no wear.
If you hit the tail blades that can damage the gears, but many comments here about that with no damage to the synergy drivetrains.
The N7 has the same or similar enough you could search that section. The reason these gears are used is because they are robust..

I’ve never heard of synergy tail gears failing.
beeflyer2 likes this.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 696 tail gears are very robust. My last crash was pretty brutal but none of the tail gears stripped!
beeflyer2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2020, 10:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've only damaged gears 3 times.

1 was the main gear on my E5s, I flipped and did a hard punch out and knocked out 1/4 - 1/5 of the teeth. I was able to land it and replace the gears. My setup was on 12s running around 2100 headspeed.

2 was on my N7 when I had the engine die on me and I had to land on uneven ground. Broke the tail fin and a few of the gears in the transmission. Was from about 80ft up.

3 was also on my N7 when I was buddy boxing my wife at a fun fly. I ran out of fuel and didn't want to auto straight down due to what was out there. I brought it back and landed about 10ft infront of me which was a bit hard. I broke the tail fin, big spur gear, a mushroom gear, and a bevel gear out of the transmission.

From just plain wear I have only ever wore out the metal spur gear in the transmission because I didn't put red loctite in it. Ended up wallowing out the area on two of my machines. After redoing with red loctite no issues and a hundred flights since.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

323 flights on mine and no signs of wear

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
AndyO is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2020, 12:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Coming from Align, I can understand being wary of tail gears. Align has not had the best history there.

However, I haven't ever seen a Synergy just bow out tail gears. My E7, which uses the same (or very close to the same) gears has 300+ flights on it since I did the TT conversion. Only issues I had were thw front transmission because I didn't assemble it correctly. Fully on me.

My 696 is about 100 flights now and no issues whatsoever.

Personally, on bigger helis, I prefer tube over belts. But that's just me.
iheliflyer and Number like this.
Ivan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2020, 03:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

There is simply NO comparison between the Align TT gears on their 700 and the 696 gears. The Align TT gears literally feel like they are made for a toy where the 696 tail gears feel like they are made for industrial use. I've unfortunately had a few Synergy crashes (dumb thumb) and in almost every single one of them the TT gears have survived. TT gear drive trains seem to not be en vogue right now with guys liking to run super high headspeeds and doing lots and lots of reversals which is tough on a TT machine. That said, I still believe Synergy makes one of the most robust TT systems out there.
Dylan Hudock likes this.
Kinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2020, 09:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Synergy TT gears have the largest teeth of any TT gear I have seen. They hold up extremely well. The wear characteristics are fantastic. Like all TT gears, they will wear down over time. With that being said, you will get a considerable amount of flights out of them, and most will crash before wearing the gears out.

I have stripped them out in a crash if I hit the tail hard and under power, but that is a given with TT tails. Most crashes in my experience though, the gears survive. They are beefy gears, don't worry about them.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Didn't notice any wear of the TT transmission at all @ about 200-300 flights.
alien131314 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in