Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Mikado V-BAR

Mikado V-BAR Mikado V-Stabi/V-BAR Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2020, 06:01 AM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddle View Post
The area that seems to be lacking is the TX area. What good ones are there? Vcontrol touch ; Jeti (I guess - never touched one) .... ? Futaba maybe?

Most of them are up close to the Vcontrol touch in price (Jeti is cheaper unless you purchase the software unlocks) ... So, unless you are already married to a TX for some reason (planes?) then nothing wrong with their attitude.
Spektrum Futaba Jeti Frsky etc, all can be used with all flybarless systems.
Simo71 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2020, 06:09 AM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo71 View Post
Spektrum Futaba Jeti Frsky etc, all can be used with all flybarless systems.
I'm sure they can, but I can personally attest to the low quality of Spektrum. Don't personally know about FrSky, Jeti or Futaba.
XL Power Specter 700
fiddle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2020, 06:28 AM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I'm sure they can, but I can personally attest to the low quality of Spektrum. Don't personally know about FrSky, Jeti or Futaba.
You are referring to the Dx8? In all honesty completely different price points, and for whatís it worth I know plenty who fly many different disciplines with Spektrum all without issue.

Moving forward.
Old 10-25-2020, 01:05 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lots of differing opinions in this thread, and with many good points made.
In my quest to try new things, I'm going to try a Neo with my DX8. I'm not worried too much about telemetry & integration right now......just wanna fly
I'll pick up a couple Spektrum sats and try it on my new Logo.
Thanks to a friend for lending me his Neo to try it.
Likely won't fly it till Spring, but I'll try to remember to post how it goes.
Chris

iCharger, deep cycles, DX8 G2, AccuRC

Last edited by CFerry; 10-25-2020 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: Spelling error
CFerry is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2020, 01:20 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

Neo works fine with Spektrum
this me with DX9

vbar NEO setup with DX9 (9 min 20 sec)
Old 10-25-2020, 03:02 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

I’ve been a big fan of Vbar from the beginning.
I could care less about telemetry or rescue. For me it’s all about performance.
Never tried their radio, not that I wouldn’t love one I’m sure.

I picked up a Futaba t16sz a while back and have now 21 planes and 13 heli’s on it.
Is the Vbar radio better? Don’t know but I do know what I like and the combo of Vbar blue, mini and Neo works like a charm.

I have Ikon2, BeastX, BeastX Pro and Skookum also and if I could I’d replace all those with Neo.

So, if you’re a fan of all those whistles and bells or not, it’s a moot point. Fact is, any Vbar fbl controller, new or old flys better, in my limited and humble experience.

If you try one I’m confident you’ll come to the same conclusion.

My God, is it ever snowing out there!!!!
Old 10-26-2020, 07:07 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragge1 View Post
Neo works fine with Spektrum
this me with DX9
Thanks for that, I'll check it out!

Old 10-26-2020, 10:19 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for sharing Ragge your DX9 setup looks great.
Ken Here is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2020, 02:53 AM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipboy View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZDo...kadohelicopter

Looks like Neo also rescues inverted.
No inverted rescue shown in that video, at least not in the context of the point being made. What was meant in the comment about the Spirit is that it has various options on how rescue works:
  1. 'Normal rescue' like shown in the Neo video where (regardless of initial orientation) it flips upright, then climbs
  2. 'Acro rescue' (aka inverted rescue) where the heli recovers to the nearest orientation (either upright or inverted) then climbs
  3. Normal rescue with delay.. Where it initially recovers to the nearest orientation then (if inverted) after climbing flips back to upright.

Why is this better you will ask?.. the reason it's better is because if the heli is coming down fast, the flip to upright that the Neo does might mean that the heli runs out of altitude and crashes before recue can work. With the Spirit when using options 2 or 3 above (Brain2 also i think) it recovers to the nearest orientation (which takes significantly less time and altitude).

Not a big difference but for sure a definite improvement.
Old 10-27-2020, 04:40 AM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomstoy2 View Post
Iíve been a big fan of Vbar from the beginning.
I could care less about telemetry or rescue. For me itís all about performance.
Never tried their radio, not that I wouldnít love one Iím sure.

I picked up a Futaba t16sz a while back and have now 21 planes and 13 heliís on it.
Is the Vbar radio better? Donít know but I do know what I like and the combo of Vbar blue, mini and Neo works like a charm.

I have Ikon2, BeastX, BeastX Pro and Skookum also and if I could Iíd replace all those with Neo.

So, if youíre a fan of all those whistles and bells or not, itís a moot point. Fact is, any Vbar fbl controller, new or old flys better, in my limited and humble experience.

If you try one Iím confident youíll come to the same conclusion.

My God, is it ever snowing out there!!!!
Iím going to have to agree with you here, my issue is not the Neo or any other form of Vbar.

Mikado moved away from its roots, and when people ask a question wether or not a feature is going to be included for use with another radio the response is a flat out NO.

People are using Neoís with various transmitter brands, these same people are buying the flybarless units just like those those with Vbar control and are still paying for upgrades just like those with Vbar control.

Personally I would not be not giving the middle finger to non vbar control users who choose to use other brands of transmitters for various reasons.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:17 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid121 View Post
i guess one reason is that Spek does not really have a good single-line receiver for helis that can be compared to i.e. Jeti's Rex3 (light, tiny, full diversity, multi protocol, telemetry enabled, 4 ports, Sat capable, 900Mhz backup, etc etc etc).

the 4651T is +/- same price, but not 'full' diversity - it's only switching diversity (when problems on antenna 1 the Rx is switching to antenna 2 hoping signal is better there... it's not constantly receiving on both antennas like Mikado or Jeti). it cannot accept a sat by itself. it cannot connect telemetry sensors or Escs by itself. is only speaks SRXL2. etc etc etc

the bigger Spek receivers are simply taking more place and w/ additional sats more problems to be solved in cabling and antenna positioning. been there 10+ yrs... and after AR7700 it did not get better... it's working but far from perfect. not want to blame them... we're just discussing... i'm happy today. we are simply not their focus customers.
Was comparing some receivers today and it looks like the Mikado Neo FBL's with the built in receiver are the same as the 4651T - a single receiver that can select between two antenna's.
I have been researching it as I don't see too much mention of anyone running additional satellites when using a Neo. On all of my larger heli's I like the idea of the primary receiver such as the 4649T or 4651T and then a regular satellite for backup.
The Jeti does look quite different, especially with dual band.
I've never seen anyone compare the actual RF hardware between companies but it would be interesting to see.
Rabid121 likes this.
Old 10-31-2020, 03:25 AM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

if you have a source explaining this it would be very interesting! until now i just found the explanation that Neo is having āindependent antennasĎ. Not having any Neos anymore but always curious to know
Old 04-17-2021, 06:09 AM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

To put some closure to this thread, I did give VBar Neo a try with my DX8 (Gen 2).

I really liked the software and setup wizard....especially setting the geometry using trigonometry rather than a pitch guage (I think you need the pro version to do this). Super simple method and I think I'll try this with other fbl.

My main concern of trying VBar was having to drag my laptop to the field to tune.
During setup I was surprised to see that you can use a spare channel to control tail gain through the radio, so I was able to easily dial in to the tail to my liking.

Using the remaining Neo presets for a Logo 550, I maidenned it this Spring and have gotten about 15 flights to date.
It flew really well from right from the maiden. I did use the head and tail optimizers from the start as well. I've never maidenned a heli before and felt this comfortable flying.

But the time had come that I wanted to return the Neo to my friend and decide if I want too buy one. I realized that, despite how well it flew, I still miss the ability to easily tweak settings at the field without a computer.
I saw a used Spartan VX1e for a good deal so I bought that.

When the day comes that I'm ready to upgrade my tx, a VControl/VBar will be a solid contender.
Now that we're in a 6 week long stay-at-home order in Ontario , I'll have plenty of time to get Vortex setup.

Thanks guys for all your replies!
Chris
Rabid121 likes this.

Old 04-17-2021, 06:26 AM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFerry View Post
My main concern of trying VBar was having to drag my laptop to the field to tune.
When the day comes that I'm ready to upgrade my tx, a VControl/VBar will be a solid contender.
You will be quite pleased if you go the VBCT route someday. I've never had my Tx or NEO hooked up to the PC. I don't even have the software installed. All updating has been done right from the Tx. All tuning as well. It takes about 5 or 10 minutes to setup a heli from the Tx (no kidding - you'll wonder if you missed a step or something). Add pro+rescue and you can use this tuning document: https://www.vstabi.info/en/node/2043 to get it flying great in a short amount of time.
XL Power Specter 700
fiddle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2021, 06:54 AM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

thats the whole purpose of vcontrol.. doing everything from the tx.. we told you that from the beginning.

i flew spartain before vcontrol.. loved it, but it doesnt even compare to vcontrol.. no updates anymore either. their long gone.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:35 AM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFerry View Post
...my DX8 (Gen 2)...My main concern of trying VBar was having to drag my laptop to the field to tune...I still miss the ability to easily tweak settings at the field without a computer...
If you are happy with your Spektrum DX8 Gen2 radio and you want to be able to tune the FBL unit at the field directly from your radio without needing any other equipment (PC, phone, tablet, special module, etc.), Spirit would do that for you, as well as provide telemetry data using a simple wire that you connect (no soldering involved) between the ESC and Spirit.
Rabid121 likes this.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:59 AM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

Or MSH, or Axon...

EGODRIFT Team, Lynx/Oxy Field Rep
jrman83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2021, 10:13 AM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonys-heli View Post
thats the whole purpose of vcontrol.. doing everything from the tx.. we told you that from the beginning.
Yes, I realize that Tony, thanks for the reminder.

Like I said earlier, a friend offered to lend me a Neo to try out, so I jumped on it ......and very glad I did because it gave me a glimpse into the world of Mikado fbl

Old 04-17-2021, 10:16 AM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Add pro+rescue and you can use this tuning document: https://www.vstabi.info/en/node/2043 to get it flying great in a short amount of time.
Thanks Fiddle. Personally, that link is just the type of guidance that I would need for tuning. Very nice!

Old 04-17-2021, 10:23 AM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
If you are happy with your Spektrum DX8 Gen2 radio and you want to be able to tune the FBL unit at the field directly from your radio without needing any other equipment (PC, phone, tablet, special module, etc.), Spirit would do that for you, as well as provide telemetry data using a simple wire that you connect (no soldering involved) between the ESC and Spirit.
I agree, but I have tried Spirit/Spektrum integration and found it was hard to consistently access the integration menue from the tx. Neverless, it did help me tune when I needed to.
I find the Spartan + datapod combo really nice and it's all from Spartan.........so it just works every time. That's partly why I went to that route for now.
Chris
Rabid121 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in