Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Engines and Mufflers

Engines and Mufflers Having problems or need advice on Engines or Mufflers?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rcjames

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2020, 11:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Have two muffler help me help me which one is better

Hello. Just got a flybar Raptor 50. I went over and lock tight what is needed and check engine and so forth. Now I'm stuck. I have a gigantic muffler that i have for 5 years or so came with a Chaos 600 nitro. The smaller one is what came with the raptor. I am using a OS 50 helicopter engine not the OS 50 Hyper. So Which one will be easier to tune? My bigger one is huge i would think better to use a os 55 hz or bigger engine. It is how ever for a 50 size engine. Please let me choose and tell me why. Ty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	120761004_349224026328411_5568049753377678549_n.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	509.0 KB
ID:	883923  
GREYEAGLE likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2020, 03:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Either one is going to be easy to tune - so that shouldn't be a factor.
The OS engines are easy to tune no matter what muffler is on there
The bigger one might be a tuned muffler while the smaller may simply be a muffler.

Have you checked to see if the bigger one fits the OS 50?
If they both fit, then fly each and see if you notice a difference.
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2020, 04:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default If the bolt center's match - Hands down the larger one

It has a longer manifold or stick out from the canopy, if you want to keep the back pressure off the motor and run cooler - Volume is every thing. The smaller one looks to be a stock OEM .

I tried em, but the motor I run, became exceptionally peeky and awful to find any kind of sweet spot. It also ran pretty darn hot { very } but it does like it at that temp.

One of the solutions was to locate a used, & install a original MP-5 which is one of the sweetest mufflers / pipe ever designed with lots of volume. I also run a large rubber ventury over that carb but its not a O.S. 50H.

The difference in volume helped alot ! You will like the lower noise.

It's not so peeky any more and I run low Nitro Econ fuel. The O.S. 50 are just the sweetest motor so cherish it. I have one on a part's bird I've never run - Their sweet hearts on low Nitro

Couple of tip's :
You may wish to make a couple of solid copper header gaskets in advance while its off so you don't struggle later. Their easy to make.

You also may wish to install a secondary fuel pressure tap all the way to the back nearest
the exit - then plug it with a short piece of tubing and a screw I use a FOX motor 440 pressure tap - their pretty tiny. The plug is only used for a oil drain when they sit. Something to think about.
GREYEAGLE is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2020, 07:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticedoff8 View Post
Either one is going to be easy to tune - so that shouldn't be a factor.
The OS engines are easy to tune no matter what muffler is on there
The bigger one might be a tuned muffler while the smaller may simply be a muffler.

Have you checked to see if the bigger one fits the OS 50?
If they both fit, then fly each and see if you notice a difference.
Yea it fit the larger one. I think the larger one is Century Tri-Flow Silent Power Tuned Muffler
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	120842059_2833265256956627_3155223500353228428_n.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	558.6 KB
ID:	884147   Click image for larger version

Name:	120801642_3220900657959621_4422968999989682411_n.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	522.0 KB
ID:	884149   Click image for larger version

Name:	120763534_757244874836839_4931945119133372300_n.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	514.8 KB
ID:	884151  
Old 10-06-2020, 07:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREYEAGLE View Post
It has a longer manifold or stick out from the canopy, if you want to keep the back pressure off the motor and run cooler - Volume is every thing. The smaller one looks to be a stock OEM .

I tried em, but the motor I run, became exceptionally peeky and awful to find any kind of sweet spot. It also ran pretty darn hot { very } but it does like it at that temp.

One of the solutions was to locate a used, & install a original MP-5 which is one of the sweetest mufflers / pipe ever designed with lots of volume. I also run a large rubber ventury over that carb but its not a O.S. 50H.

The difference in volume helped alot ! You will like the lower noise.

It's not so peeky any more and I run low Nitro Econ fuel. The O.S. 50 are just the sweetest motor so cherish it. I have one on a part's bird I've never run - Their sweet hearts on low Nitro

Couple of tip's :
You may wish to make a couple of solid copper header gaskets in advance while its off so you don't struggle later. Their easy to make.

You also may wish to install a secondary fuel pressure tap all the way to the back nearest
the exit - then plug it with a short piece of tubing and a screw I use a FOX motor 440 pressure tap - their pretty tiny. The plug is only used for a oil drain when they sit. Something to think about.
What do u mean extra tap? And it does have extra hole on the bottom
Old 10-06-2020, 11:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
What do u mean extra tap? And it does have extra hole on the bottom
I think he is suggesting that it could be used as a drain-plug.

If you drill a hole near that back of the pipe's can, you can add a nipple and then plug it with a short piece of fuel tube and a screw. Then you could unplug it and drain the collected oil out of the pipe.
But, that would partially depend on the pipe's internal baffling and where the oil might collect.
The main concern might be if some excess amount of oil was collecting in the can, some might flow back into the engine during storage. In that case, you might get hydro-lock the next time you tried to start it.

Personally, I've never really had that problem unless the engine is running super rich, the pipe is too big or the engine not reaching full speed.
In my cases, I hang the heli tail-down on the wall and any of the residual oil drains out the pipe.
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in