Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Spektrum FBL System > Spektrum FC6250HX

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2020, 05:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Important word about Stability Mode with FC6250HX

I wanted to take a moment and put this out there for the folks just starting out with this flybarless system.

It is a really great system IMO but I found out a pitfall that exists within stability mode today that everyone setting this system up needs to know about.

Last weekend I went out and maidened my new 580 Kraken. I flew 3 flights and they flew flawless. There wasn't a single weird interaction with any of them. I had been following the Spektrum video series on Youtube closely about how to set up this system properly, and thus had waited to start worrying about stability and bailout until all the first test flights and adjustments were made. Since things went so well, I elected to go ahead and pursue at least the "Stability" portion of the SAFE functions of the controller.

To do this, you enable your Aux2 CH in your Tx and then point it to the flight mode switch. This makes it so that Aux2 now is signaled by your flight mode, so that the flybarless system can then see what condition Aux 2 is in, and therefore give you a channel within the forward programming to set up the SAFE features within those modes. I did this only with the intent of using the stability mode in my Normal and HOLD modes only and not actually use any bailout function of the controller. So, I set Stability to ON in both my HOLD and NORMAL flight modes. The intent behind this was to make the heli more docile at or near the ground when taking off and landing.

Today I went out to fly and noticed during the first two spool ups, that the heli was leaning quite considerably to the right as the head was reaching its set speed. I naturally countered this, and once in the air, the heli seemed really good. I had set my swash limits to 45 degrees limit for my normal and HOLD modes. When I was coming in, I noticed that it felt like a brick trying to target and land on the landing pad I use. Thinking that, I decided to disable the Stability mode, so I went in to the forward programming menu and disabled it (I come to realize after I had gotten home later that I had forgotten to disable it in Normal mode and had only disabled it in HOLD mode).

So, flight 3, the wind has picked up a bit, and I rotate my heli about 90 degrees on the pad (so that I don't have a side wind), begin the spool up. I start to notice that the heli is once again pulling fairly hard cyclic to the right. Just like before I start to compensate by applying left cyclic and things are looking fairly good, but this time as the head reaches its headspeeds setting, the flybarless pulls a very hard right cyclic, and as I feel this I apply full left cyclic, and both the main rotors and tail rotor blades start to hit the pavement. By then, I realize this is a fail and hit my Hold switch and miraculously save it from going over completely sideways. Part of the reason for this coming in to play, was because I had limited my input maximum to only 45 degrees on the swashplate in this mode. The controller just applied more cyclic than I could even apply to it. With the skids still on the ground, the system was trying to drive the heli into a level plane, and by not being able to achieve it, it kept driving until something started to move...and that was my left skid leaving the pad.

This is the first system that I have ever set up with either a Stability function OR bailout. I feel that this error is the fault of the way I set the system up, though nothing that I have seen or heard so far indicates that this is a big NO NO for a system with a stability function like this. This mode apparently should only ever be run in Stunt 1 or 2 modes and be deactivated for any mode that would be intended for landing or taking off, including HOLD mode.

Here is a short video of just how a swashplate will act when stability mode is enabled and the heli is sitting on the ground. These movements are collective stick only. The worse of it happens after motor spoolup.

Kraken 580 Swashplate interaction on the bench with FC6250HX Stabilization ON (1 min 14 sec)

This is a short vid of how the swash interaction works with stability OFF and the heli on the ground.

Kraken 580 Swashplate Interaction on the Bench FC6250HX Stability mode OFF (1 min 0 sec)

There was also mention of some questions about the initialization bump that you see when powering up. This is what mine does, which seems to be perfectly normal. There was some mention that the swash should bump evenly to +50%, -100%, then back to stick setting. Mine has never done that.

Kraken 580 FC6250HX Initialize (0 min 11 sec)

Last edited by Cra-Z-1; 10-12-2020 at 10:45 PM..
Cra-Z-1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2020, 06:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is interesting. I feel like I had the identical thing happen. I wish I could watch the videos.
Cra-Z-1 likes this.
Fiore is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2020, 06:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My Fusion 270, Fusion 360 and 330s all do exactly as you described with the 6250 FC. I havenít flown them in strong winds so I have not had a problem. Iím glad you shared this info, maybe Brian can chime in to see if there is a solution. FYI turning off the SAFE function in normal mode fixes this problem, but I really like the SAFE function for takeoff and landing.
Cra-Z-1 likes this.
Skippykix is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2020, 08:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Google: helicopter dynamic rollover

Not saying this is what occurred in this case but it is something that should be taken into consideration, like most people I never read anything about the topic until I ran into the issue when I was learning to fly model helis well before fbl controllers existed. I learned about it on autorotation's but also have run into a few times during take off as well.

In no way am I saying this is what lead to the problem but it is definitely worth some discussion. I do feel a discussion of stability vs agility and maybe some hints and tips would be a good idea overall, they are vastly different flight modes and it is important to become accustomed to the "new" mode to you fairly slowly in a controlled manner.

It has been a problem both directions, those that learn on stability mode have a hard time transitioning to agility mode and those that learned on agility modes have a hard time switching to stability modes.

Some dynamic rollover avoidance recommendations and general take off quick hints and tips;

1) Always take off nose into the wind, or if you decide not to follow #1 absolutely follow #2 below.

2) Always keep the rotor disc at a negative angle of attack in relation to the incoming wind during spool up and takeoff. If the wind gets under the disc at low head speed even if you have negative collective, you are going to run into problems. The best advice is quit while you are ahead and try again.

3) Keep a little negative collective in the model until the head speed has come up and stabilized. To much positive during spool up will absolutely lead to issues, to much negative can also lead to issues so just hold a little negative pitch in until the blades are up to speed. Stronger winds may require more negative to keep the model on the ground but to much may lead to issues as well, hence the reason I did not really provide any useful recommended negative pitch recommendations to use during takeoff throughout this overly long and vague paragraph.

4) If anyone recommends popping the heli off the ground quickly instead of paying attention to and flying the model off of the ground I would highly recommend adding them to your ignore list and ignore the advice they have provided as well.

5) Always fly the disc during takeoff, make small corrections irregardless of what mode you are flying in. The disc should be held level to the surface you are taking off from and the surface you are taking off from should be level as well. If you want something that takes off and flies itself I highly recommend you sell the helicopter and purchase a drone instead.

6) Always avoid large inputs during takeoff, if the model is tipping and small cyclic inputs are not helping then adding more is not going to help either, might even make the problem worse. You can try, and in no way is this an actual recommendation, aka try at your own risk, you can add a small amount of negative collective to help possibly clear up the issue and force the model back down somewhat. The drawback to adding more negative is it also drives the disc downwards at the tips which might cause a blade that is close to the ground to strike the ground.

7) The primary problem is the dynamic rollver does not occur very often so you will often times find yourself caught completely off guard and have around 250 milliseconds to figure out what is going on and make the proper corrections to resolve the issue or something bad is going to happen. The main problem is it takes the average human around 1000 milliseconds to figure out what is going on so you are already at a 750 millisecond deficit before you even figure out it is occurring.

8) If you run into the dynamic rollover issue during a flair out of an autorotation you are pretty much screwed, getting back to 0 collective and landing hard is the only thing that has worked for me. Adding more collective in this case, at least in my experience just leads to a faster roll over and knife edge landing

9) If you have a narrow or raked landing gear then you should expect this problem to occur more often than those that have a wide and level landing gear. Obviously this would only affect the model during take off and landing and not impact the auto flair out thing mentioned above. (pun intended)

In all seriousness it does occur and it is worth reading up on along with settling with power and just helicopter aerodynamics in general.

As the fc6250hx manual recommends in the SAFE section, please read it, test panic mode to ensure everything is working correctly before enabling stability mode. Test using the panic function since it is on a momentary switch and this clearly defines if you are in stability or agility modes. Once you become used to panic mode and comfortable switching between the modes, and if you like panic (somewhat stability like) mode you can take a look at enabling stability mode.

Stability mode is more stable than agility mode but it is still necessary to fly the model during take off. Take off from a level surface and keep the disc level with the surface using small inputs, as the model lifts off you will transition from level to approximately 4.5 degrees to the right (for clockwise rotation) or 4.5 degrees to the left (for counter clockwise rotation, which no one uses anymore).

I do agree there is a large difference between the modes and that it is probably best to use the panic function to become familiar with it or use a flight mode other than Normal/takeoff for initial testing.

I have been considering adding a Panic set of options under the SAFE menu which allows you to set the panic envelope limit and the panic yaw rate reduction so the pilot can adjust the values to be similar to the stability mode, this way they can just use the panic switch to provide stability mode. The defaults for panic would still be 15 degrees angle limit and 50% yaw rate out of the box however you could increase the values to make it the same as stability.

This situation does bring up another point, assigning flight mode channel increases the complexity of the system considerably, sure it provides a lot more setting functionality however you always have to go back and double check all flight mode gain and flight mode settings to ensure they are as you expect. This was the primary reason the feature was disabled out of the box and why the manual recommends not using this function to start out and pretty much only recommends it if you have a need for it.

Regards,
geeky likes this.

Last edited by brianbremer; 10-12-2020 at 09:09 PM..
brianbremer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2020, 09:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I appreciate your feedback on this Brian. With all due respect though, you are making it sound like I need to be an astronaut to fly this thing. I really don't think it is that complicated. No, my pad isn't "exactly" level, but isn't it asking too much to insist that a pad has to be exactly level to fly off of? I'm not an engineer by any means with experience in these systems, but I have however been flying flybarless systems for many many years now, and can't say I've had a weird situation like this occur since my Align 3Gx days, a long long time ago, and that situation wasn't anything like this one.

As I mentioned before ( or maybe didn't say it clearly enough in my text), the first two flights flew very good after liftoff. My motor spoolup time is fairly extended, as you might have an idea, since I'm running an Evian 120 ESC. I'm doing nothing drastic on takeoff, just a slow spoolup...the heli initially wants to drift over slightly..I correct a little bit and then all of a sudden right before full RPM, it leans over hard right, and I cannot do anything to correct it, including correct it while the rotor is spooling back down. I have not flown again since my tail blades are a mess, and I'm waiting on new ones, but once I seen what was happening to the swash on the bench, it made perfect sense.

I will report back once I get a new set on, but I'm pretty convinced at this point that it is purely stabilization that is causing it. Can nobody see my videos? I'm going to see if I can upload to Youtube and republish them. The swash interaction on my bench is unlike anything I have ever seen in a FBL system, but once I deactivate stability, it all goes away.

Edit:

In response to the gain settings, I have not changed anything from the original settings shipped from the factory. I have had no need to. The only things that were set were the subtrims and travel. I literally had to change nothing to get it to fly very nicely. For some, the roll rate might be a bit slow, but I will tinker with that more as I get more comfortable with things. I have no doubt this is a really great system. I love it, but with a few things, it will take getting used to what is OK and what is not. This thread is only intended to make people aware of what I've seen so far and what I feel the issue is from what I'm seeing. I might have to dig out my old hat cam or have a buddy film my takeoff the next time just to get any events on a video. I'm pretty sure it will go much better next time. I really don't have to have stability for me to be happy with this, regardless though. I'm far from a beginner pilot and really don't need it for my flying. Just wanted to stretch the capabilities of this system some and see if I like some of these options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbremer View Post

This situation does bring up another point, assigning flight mode channel increases the complexity of the system considerably, sure it provides a lot more setting functionality however you always have to go back and double check all flight mode gain and flight mode settings to ensure they are as you expect. This was the primary reason the feature was disabled out of the box and why the manual recommends not using this function to start out and pretty much only recommends it if you have a need for it.
It does indeed and you do have to remember that each mode has a setting. It does provide some great options in doing so, I on a personal basis would never need stability in S1 or S2 modes, and really would only use it in normal where I'm either hovering or in process of landing/taking off. I think the last sentence is pretty solid advice. I also got to thinking today that, the system has a stability function built in where you can set the throttle/collective stick percentage near the ground in a hover and it makes the heli more docile. Before I had set the Stability mode to ON, this seemed to work pretty flawlessly and I had left the default setting to 65%. This is really what I wanted it to do in the first place and is a really great feature IMO. The second time I had come in to land with Stability ON, I came in pretty swift as I usually do, and realized at the last second I really had to pull back hard to get it to flare out. After that flight, I deactivated Stability and thought I had shut it off entirely. Later, after the event, I then realized it was still ON in normal. For a split second, I had thought the changes didn't take in the Tx (as someone had mentioned this can happen in another thread under certain circumstances) but realized that wasn't the case.

This is an interesting article. 5 to 8 degrees does not seem like very much at all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_rollover

Last edited by Cra-Z-1; 10-12-2020 at 11:42 PM..
Old 10-12-2020, 11:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiore View Post
This is interesting. I feel like I had the identical thing happen. I wish I could watch the videos.
Think I got this fixed now.
Old 10-13-2020, 04:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow, heres mine. I am setting this up for a friend learning. I flew it once before I setup the stability mode. It was rock solid. But im scared to try it in SAFE mode because of this. It does the same as yours when I run it up.
T

Swash (0 min 36 sec)
Old 10-13-2020, 09:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

In no way am I defending the system you are using or stating its your fault, nor am I trying to minimize what has occurred. There are some physics and aerodynamics involved that should be considered and can also lead to a problem during takeoff on any helicopter with or without a fbl system.

There are also some things about stability mode that should be discussed as well and I am trying to utilize this post to try and cover some of that as well. Much of the takeoff stuff mentioned above applies to any helicopter, any flight mode, stabilized or flybared.

I already know what your video shows, the swash tilts to the right on the ground. If you keep in mind the helicopter leans approximately 4.5 degrees to the right in flight due to the translational thrust of the tail rotor counteracting torque so if the model is level on the ground the swashplate is going to continue to lean right until that angle is achieved.

You can do a quick test on the bench, power the model up in stability mode and the swash tilts to the right, tilt the helicopter 4.5 degrees to the right and you will notice the swash levels.

If your model sits on a raked landing gear aka a nose down attitude you will see the swash also tilts aft, if you level the heli on the pitch axis you will notice the swash returns to level. If your model does have a raked landing gear, keep in mind the tail is not very far from the ground so if you do decide to enable stability it is paramount to fly the rotor disc during takeoff and keep it level to the surface.

Now since you mentioned collective movements only for one of the videos I am assuming on the bench situation you are seeing some cyclic movement when moving the collective up and down, this is part of the active cyclic trimming that helps to deal with retreating blade stall in flight. It is import to keep in mind the swash will be near level during takeoff so this cyclic interaction will not occur in that situation, plus you are not moving the collective up and down during take off anyway, just slowly upwards.

"Stability mode is more stable than agility mode but it is still necessary to fly the model during take off. Take off from a level surface and keep the disc level with the surface using small inputs, as the model lifts off you will transition from level to approximately 4.5 degrees to the right (for clockwise rotation) or 4.5 degrees to the left (for counter clockwise rotation, which no one uses anymore)."

I do 100% agree with you that if someone has not flown stability mode it is best to assign it to stunt 1 (or use the panic recovery) to test and become familiar with the flight mode and absolutely do not use it for take off until you become comfortable with the differences in control behavior between the two modes and have become comfortable switching between the stability and agility modes.

Just a discussion on the topic overall, not specifically aimed at what you ran into but more of a positives, negatives and things that should be considered topic.

Regards,
Cra-Z-1 likes this.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just saw your youtube videos.

Tilt the helicopter 4.5 degrees to the right on the stabilized on test and most of the interactions will go away. Keep in mind you do not spool up at -10 and quickly go to +10 during takeoff, or at least I am hoping you do not do this

Power up initialization, the red-green-blue flash is the initialization complete indication. It looks like one of the servos is not up and running by the time the collective indication occurs. As I mentioned in the other thread the collective indication will probably go away in the next release version since the indication is not seen at all on some servos and sometimes incorrectly on some servos as a couple of you have pointed out. Since the system is up and running so quickly only the led indication is really needed.

Regards,
Cra-Z-1 likes this.
Old 10-13-2020, 11:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

One thing i should mention is that on the Kraken, the entire frame sits canted forward while sitting on the skids, so even if your pad remains level, the FBL system will remain far from it on takeoff. This could pose a challenge for stab mode on takeoff for this heli in any case.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Just saw your youtube videos.

Tilt the helicopter 4.5 degrees to the right on the stabilized on test and most of the interactions will go away. Keep in mind you do not spool up at -10 and quickly go to +10 during takeoff, or at least I am hoping you do not do this

Power up initialization, the red-green-blue flash is the initialization complete indication. It looks like one of the servos is not up and running by the time the collective indication occurs. As I mentioned in the other thread the collective indication will probably go away in the next release version since the indication is not seen at all on some servos and sometimes incorrectly on some servos as a couple of you have pointed out. Since the system is up and running so quickly only the led indication is really needed.

Regards,
That would make sense, on the servo feedback. I didn't really think there was any issue there, but yest it powers up and inits much faster than say a Vbar does, which is what I"m used to seeing.

I run full gov. headspeed mode all the time. My HS in Normal is 2150 and my pitch curve in normal only goes to negative 4 degrees. I start my spoolup with stick centered and apply collective once Full headspeed is obtained.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Wow, heres mine. I am setting this up for a friend learning. I flew it once before I setup the stability mode. It was rock solid. But im scared to try it in SAFE mode because of this. It does the same as yours when I run it up.
T

https://vimeo.com/466877271
That is exactly the kind of thing mine does with Stability mode turned on. Are you sure yours isn't turned ON?
Old 10-15-2020, 04:12 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, when you hear "stunt 1" its on and off in normal mode. The swash does that when I turn on stability mode is what Im saying.
Cra-Z-1 likes this.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:06 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

On the bench tilt the helicopter 4.5 degrees to the right and test again, this is close to the angle the helicopter will fly at.

Always test the panic recovery function to ensure correct operation before enabling stability mode, please review the attached SAFE manual page.

Vibration can lead to issues in the operation so perform quick activate / deactivate tests and ensure the model returns to a level attitude in flight at a safe altitude and safe distance from the pilot. If the model does not return to level deactivate panic recovery and use the sticks to level the model.

Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fc6250hxsafe.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	885505  
Old 10-15-2020, 05:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yes, when you hear "stunt 1" its on and off in normal mode. The swash does that when I turn on stability mode is what Im saying.
Ahh...Sorry about that. I had watched it where I didn't have any sound on the vid.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
On the bench tilt the helicopter 4.5 degrees to the right and test again, this is close to the angle the helicopter will fly at.

Always test the panic recovery function to ensure correct operation before enabling stability mode, please review the attached SAFE manual page.

Vibration can lead to issues in the operation so perform quick activate / deactivate tests and ensure the model returns to a level attitude in flight at a safe altitude and safe distance from the pilot. If the model does not return to level deactivate panic recovery and use the sticks to level the model.

Regards,
Brian,

In the diagram, why does it show the sticks at 5 and 7 o'clock? This has always confused me. I don't know what the diagram is trying to illustrate. It only mentions ever centering the sticks to check that stability is functioning correctly and I assume this is in a hover.

If you remember in my comments earlier though, when I did fly in Normal WITH stability set to ON, I never had a problem with the heli flying and stabilizing correctly. It was ONLY on the pad I ever ran into a problem.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:54 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just thought I would share, we tried the SAFE mode this morning. The bailout first and it worked flawless. Then switched into safe mode after I had it in a stable hover and as mentioned earlier, it was like flying a brick. I guess thats the way it should feel but it worked as expected. I didn't land or take off with it on after reading the earlier post. But it would be nice if he could take off and land with it....
T
Old 10-20-2020, 01:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can take off and land in stability mode but as mentioned above it is important to stay on the sticks to keep the disc level to the surface you are taking off of or landing on while the disc is spinning up or until it has completely spooled down.

Before trying to do so you should spend some time in panic or stability mode to become accustomed to the much different control feel and ensure it is a flight mode you would like to fly. Make sure the model is leveling well in flight over several flights before enabling stability mode as airframe vibrations can lead to leveling issues.

If your heli uses a raked landing gear (leaning forward) we do not recommend taking of in stability mode as the fc will level the heli and generally this would cause a tail strike the ground during spool up.

Stability mode is intended to place the heli near level in flight (it is not an autopilot) but keep in mind helicopters lean several degrees to the right (on clockwise rotating blades) to remain still due to the tailrotor translational thrust. When taking off from the ground, in some cases it may be necessary to apply cyclic to keep the disc level during takeoff until the model has lifted off from the ground.

Regards,
Old 10-25-2020, 09:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its been a couple of weekends since I've been able to get out and fly with this new setup. Flew a couple of days this weekend with great success. Really enjoying this new heli and everything I've elected to build it with. Hoping for a lot of years of this much enjoyment! Love the Kraken!

The flybarless system is behaving very very well. I have really gotten to like the feel of it. It is solid as can be. Even with everything that has been stated above, I still very strongly recommend disabling Stability on takeoff and landing. I have done this and all is good again. It takes off and lands well without any type of weird interaction. Just use the damping that the flybarless system uses when below "X" value of the collective stick. It is not the same as Stability and really achieves the same thing (i.e. reduced sensitivity near the ground.) If things continue to go this well, I will be upgrading all my FBL systems with this one. Super happy. Have some tinkering to do with all of my voice warnings. So many great features in the new tech.

One of the things I found out rather quickly about was how much difference it makes on current draw when a belt is running waaay too tight. I literally pulled about 20 amps over what I'm pulling now when I reduced the belt tension to a more favorable level (This is my first belt driven heli since my early 50 SE V2 days). Its great to look and see exactly what the cell voltage levels are on the pad. Its also great to see all of the Status of the ESC, including both the FET and the BEC internal temperatures.

Kraken 580 Big Air Flight (6 min 34 sec)
Old 10-26-2020, 04:41 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Since it's not discontinued, i'll stay with the AR7210BX rather. I can take off and land in stability mode, and when its in the air, i could get my glasses from the car, it will stay solid for minutes. No matter If belt driven or shaft driven, nor if 360 size or 600 size. I will stay with TM1000 telemetry, and YGE ESC.

I would have aprecciated a new system like FC6250HX, offering full telemetry with AVIAN ESC. But it seems to take a while untill it will be "for me".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in