Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By curmudgeon
  • 6 Post By ArchmageAU
  • 1 Post By Indokast

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2018, 02:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Siming with my DX9 wearing it out?

Hi I was told years ago that you should not sim with your main controller because it wears it out. I've been siming about an hour a day with my DX9 because I find it helps prepare me more for the field. My question is, am I wearing out my DX9 prematurely?

Jason
jasond1979 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2018, 02:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is simply wearing out. The gimbals have limited mileage. Using a cheap tx would be better.
Using a higher quality other than spektrum might have more longevity but everything wears down after time
Old 03-27-2018, 08:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Assumming 1h/day 365 days/yr of simming, how many years until there is a significant deterioration of the gimbal potentiometers? 10 years? 15 years? 25 years?
jasond1979 likes this.
curmudgeon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2018, 11:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasond1979 View Post
Hi I was told years ago that you should not sim with your main controller because it wears it out. I've been siming about an hour a day with my DX9 because I find it helps prepare me more for the field. My question is, am I wearing out my DX9 prematurely?

Jason
Prepare for the field with the radio you are going to fly. It is the best form of practice.

If you use it enough to wear it out, then you have gotten value for it and replace it (maybe even with something better).

It takes 100's of hours to active use make the DX9 gimbals even slightly sloppy. Even then what you have learned with them is worth the cost.

A good pilot with an average TX will ALWAYS fly better than an average pilot with a good TX. Use the practice to become a good pilot and not worry about wearing out the DX9.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

So you think Horizon would fix the radio if I wear it out? For free? For cost?

Jason
Old 03-28-2018, 11:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Jason
Why would they take the cost?
You also wont get a new lipo if the old one is aged and flown too death.
There is no difference if you are using the TX at the sim or with your real heli.
Shonkonray is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2018, 12:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:

Jason
For cost. But it takes 1000's of flying hours to wear out a quad ball bearing gimbal.

You will almost certainly out-grow the TX before you wear it out.

Even then you may be able to source a fitting hall-effect gimbals for self replacement (smoother and more-reliable than the pot-based gimbals in the DX9).

Ask any of the "pro" pilots how many TX's that have worn out. They fly far more than you or I would fly or sim.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
So you think Horizon would fix the radio if I wear it out?
By the time you significantly "wear out" the radio, HH may not be able to fix the radio mainly because the radio may have been out of production for far too long and replacement parts are not longer made. I honestly would not worry about "wearing out" the radio.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've used my 2 year old DX9 numerous hours on the sim and on the field, and it shows no sign of wearing oit. When it does, I'll buy a new radio.

Dont worry about wear. Use it, take good care of it, and it will last a long time.
ronaldst is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2018, 07:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

VBar offers a Mac/PC software to test any compatible transmitter gimbals centering and drift at pretty high resolution. The Jeti radios offer the option to test gimbal centering and drift at 0.001 resolution. The Spektrum radios have a "monitor" display option, but the resolution of 1% increments is pretty low.

Is there a good way to test Spektrum radio gimbal centering and drift at high resolution other than with the VBar computer software?
Old 04-22-2018, 12:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you can wear-out a transmitter before it becomes obsolete you are ahead of the game. I have boxes of transmitters that are outdated but not worn out.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes I'm back to using my dx9 for siming again. I have an old dx8 gen 1 transmitter that I use for buddy boxing students. You guys are right. The odds of me wearing out my transmitter are pretty low, even with an hour of siming a day.

Anyways thanks for the advice. And you were right, more than likely Horizon will stop supporting the transmitter before I wear it out anyways.
I don't think theDX8 gen 1 is supported now anyways.

Best,

Jason
Old 10-25-2020, 08:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a DX9 that I think I've literally worn out ... the throttle gimbal won't go down to 0% anymore and the final say 10% of the stick you have to kind of push harder to get it down ...

I've probably put about 1000 hours on it ... I really want to change out the gimbals, but I could not find a gimbal replacement online that didn't cost a fortune ...

Anybody have a recommend for good gimbal replacement that might fit a DX9?

Thanks!
EndoDusk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2020, 09:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can send it to HH and they will replace the gimbals if you want. I did this a while back and they put in upgraded gimbals at the time. It was a used dx6i I purchased that had issues. Scroll wheel had issues and it wouldnt bind. Came back and they had fixed all that and put new gimbals in.. and was buttery smooth then. They even updated the firmware. You have to pay for it but its fairly priced in my experience. All that was like 50 bucks iirc plus shipping. That was a couple years ago.
jasond1979 likes this.
Indokast is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2020, 09:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indokast View Post
You can send it to HH and they will replace the gimbals if you want. I did this a while back and they put in upgraded gimbals at the time. It was a used dx6i I purchased that had issues. Scroll wheel had issues and it wouldnt bind. Came back and they had fixed all that and put new gimbals in.. and was buttery smooth then. They even updated the firmware. You have to pay for it but its fairly priced in my experience. All that was like 50 bucks iirc plus shipping. That was a couple years ago.
Thats a very fair price and they calibrate everything too. Now I'm not worried about wearing out my gimbals anymore.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in