Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Jeti Duplex Radio Systems

Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2020, 12:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Weird power on and charging behavior

Had my DS-16 for years and it's been trouble-free. Was purchased back in 2013.

Today it got a little sprinkled on. It was outside when it started raining. I caught it within a half hour or so. I opened it up, blew it out with a compressor, and ran my home's ventilation along with a blower fan at it.

Came back the next day and the following happened:

- "Switches changed" message
- Unit would not come on under battery power
- Under battery power, screen gave some horizontal lines
- Battery voltage fluctuating about 8% or so

Now that I have unplugged the battery and blew it out more, I charged it to full charge. My red charging LED is really dim.

I'm concerned I killed my radio.

Help? Reassure me or give me some tests to ensure this is OK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2020, 02:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidchaos View Post
Had my DS-16 for years and it's been trouble-free. Was purchased back in 2013.

Today it got a little sprinkled on. It was outside when it started raining. I caught it within a half hour or so. I opened it up, blew it out with a compressor, and ran my home's ventilation along with a blower fan at it.

Came back the next day and the following happened:

- "Switches changed" message
- Unit would not come on under battery power
- Under battery power, screen gave some horizontal lines
- Battery voltage fluctuating about 8% or so

Now that I have unplugged the battery and blew it out more, I charged it to full charge. My red charging LED is really dim.

I'm concerned I killed my radio.

Help? Reassure me or give me some tests to ensure this is OK.
30 mins in the rain? I'm not sure what effect that would have but with the symptoms you are describing I'd be seeing if it can be sent in for checking/repair. Certainly wouldn't fly with it.
Old 10-24-2020, 05:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

For sure, send it in for repair.

On the other hand, you have had it for 7 years, so maybe it is a good time for a new DS-16 G2.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's a phone call to Jeti support, doesn't sound good.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
myxiplx is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2020, 07:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I'm starting to think it's the battery itself causing the issues. Wiggling the cable yields weird results.

I'll reach out to Jeti and see what they say, but nearly certainly will replace the pack. Everything else is working fine now, but if I fly with it, I will get it tested.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not sure if this would make any difference at all! However, I can tell you,. ANY time I have an issue with any electronic device getting wet,.... I remove batteries(unplug),.. and throw it into a ziplock bag with a good amount of rice. Then let it sit in there for a couple of days.

By theory,. the rice absorbs all moisture. Not sure exactly if/how it works, but I can confirm that this method has saved many of my electronic devices!!!

470LT, G420, G570, Chronos, T-Rex 600N and 700N
vultage is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2020, 05:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by vultage View Post
Not sure if this would make any difference at all! However, I can tell you,. ANY time I have an issue with any electronic device getting wet,.... I remove batteries(unplug),.. and throw it into a ziplock bag with a good amount of rice. Then let it sit in there for a couple of days.

By theory,. the rice absorbs all moisture. Not sure exactly if/how it works, but I can confirm that this method has saved many of my electronic devices!!!
I’ve done this also. Instead of rice you can buy bulk desiccant at the local craft shop (Micheals/Hobby Lobby). Saved a GPS that went for a swim before they put them in everything, including Fido’s collar.

Trick is to do it ASAP, pulling any power right away. You’re trying to keep the water from shorting any circuits and prevent corrosion.

Most things have a conformal coating nowadays, it’s the connectors that are most vulnerable. (Hence the switch warnings)
Old 10-30-2020, 10:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

if there is no extreme air pollution, rain water is not that dangerous... otherwise electronics should be cleaned with alcohol (i.e. isopropanol) to prevent later oxidation and help it to dry quickly then (rice, better: desiccant).

the real problem i guess was the compressor - if not used with enormous care it is not only able to damage parts on the pcbs or ribbon cables or connectors or even displays etc etc... but air pressure is helping water to get into places it would not have reached without (into switches, connectors, display, etc) - and where you cannot clean as easily anymore. that's the real killer sometimes...

the best receipe is to remove power, then clean & dry asap... i've 'landed' a 550 into a pond 10 yrs ago... after some liters of isopropanol and quick help to dry the complete electronics survived (!). bearings and shaft of course all gone (oxidation).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in