Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Spektrum FBL System > Spektrum FC6250HX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2021, 01:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What is the best way to adjust flying parameters with forward programming?

I purchased the ix20 and this FC6250HX so I could make on the fly adjustments to the flight parameters of my heli. Now that I have everything setup I have no idea how to adjust the parameters to correct what I think is wrong with my heli, nor do I have any idea what to adjust to make it fly even better. I think Spektrum needs to make this a little more user friendly or at least put a guide in the manual with some tips on how to start adjusting.

I've read through the P I D "Proportional, Integral, Derivative" but that just adds to the confusion. The other confusing part is how far to move the sliders. There is a huge range of potential movement in each of those adjustments.

Heres my problem: If I fly forward flight and pull up into a stall, right when its stalled if I bang the collective back and forth (pitch pump) the heli wobbles on the fore/aft cyclic axis, it almost looks like I'm doing a tic-toc but I'm not. So it seems there is fore/aft cyclic happening when there shouldn't be. My swash goes up and down level when I move collective on the table.

What parameter should I try tweaking and how much value should I go? I'd hate to do too much and cause a problem in the air that may cause a crash. Thanks.
Timbers is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2021, 11:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbers View Post
Heres my problem: If I fly forward flight and pull up into a stall, right when its stalled if I bang the collective back and forth (pitch pump) the heli wobbles on the fore/aft cyclic axis, it almost looks like I'm doing a tic-toc but I'm not. So it seems there is fore/aft cyclic happening when there shouldn't be. My swash goes up and down level when I move collective on the table.

What parameter should I try tweaking and how much value should I go? I'd hate to do too much and cause a problem in the air that may cause a crash. Thanks.
Check CG position first of all.
/A
andwho is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2021, 06:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbers View Post
I purchased the ix20 and this FC6250HX so I could make on the fly adjustments to the flight parameters of my heli. Now that I have everything setup I have no idea how to adjust the parameters to correct what I think is wrong with my heli, nor do I have any idea what to adjust to make it fly even better. I think Spektrum needs to make this a little more user friendly or at least put a guide in the manual with some tips on how to start adjusting.

I've read through the P I D "Proportional, Integral, Derivative" but that just adds to the confusion. The other confusing part is how far to move the sliders. There is a huge range of potential movement in each of those adjustments.

The settings are no different than any other modern flybar unit. All others have PID, Rotation rates, and so on. I would start with CG adjustment and make sure it is spot on. put the heli on its side, hold the blades pointing up to the sky and down to the ground, with the boom parallel to to the ground it should not move.
mpguidry is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2021, 01:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is a wide range of adjustment simply because helis range from 2 ounce mosquitos to 20lb+ camera ships. Flying styles, heli size, blade aerodynamics, servos, head speed,....... on and on make for a lot of variations.

If ever in doubt start with small adjustments. In the case of the 6250hx stick to a maximum 5% gain adjustment, test hop and evaluate. The system is pretty forgiving.

Cyclic's, bring p and i up 5% at a time until you are happy with the stability, tracking, follows your inputs and stops well. P and I are generally the same values and aileron and roll are the same values. D, the defaults are good for 99.9% of the models. Once you are happy with the model you can make small adjustments to each gain to determine if there are improvements or not.

If you notice some minor issues on fore/aft stops raising the cyclic pitch d gain a couple of points can help. Generally this is only needed if you have a high disc loading and a very aerodynamically stable blade. The default cyclic d gain settings really do cover 99.9% of the models out there.

Tailrotor, there is a pinned topic up in the fc6250hx forum that covers the topic.

I will try to get a cyclic tuning guide up here soon but the notes above are how it is done. It will be quite a bit shorter than the tail tuning guide.
Old 11-09-2021, 12:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Thanks

Thanks for the tips I'm going to give the CG a try and then tweak the setting afterwards.

I've never really worried too much about CG on helis since they always seemed to fly fine for me no matter where the CG was at. Unlike planes!
Timbers is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in