Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Number
  • 3 Post By crashnrox

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2020, 05:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tail gear stripped

Hello everyone,
It’s my brand new T-Rex 450l after couple of flights I landed not very hard but stripped the tail gear. When I try to remove the tail boom I stripped the couple of screws. I’m a beginner and it’s my first heli. Can you please guide me how to remove the stripped screws and my hex drives are not matching the screws. I was trying to use the Allen wrench which came with the heli. Please help!!!

I really appreciate your help !!!!

Thank you
Kevinraj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2020, 12:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pick up some high quality hex drivers. Allen keys included in kits are almost universally terrible. Quality tools will last you for years and will not only greatly reduce the chances of you stripping a screw head, but likely help you remove screws you previously thought were totally stripped out.

https://www.miponline.com/MIP-Hex-Dr...and-2-5mm-9502
Ah Clem and xoexoe like this.
Number is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2020, 01:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Also try to avoid over tightening the screws in the first place. These small screws only need gentle pressure to tighten. If going into metal apply a tiny spot of Loctite to the leading couple of threads, no more.

The tail drive gears on the Trex 450 are notoriously fragile, this is why most people prefer the belt drive on the 470 version.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I got the hex drive 1.5 to 3 but nothing is fitting with the screw T2.6*6mm. The Allen wrench which fits the screw is smaller then 1.5 hex drive. Anyone has any idea what size hex drive should I get. This is 450lp artf heli.
Thank you.
Old 11-17-2020, 11:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

if the 2.6mm self tappers are socket head then it should be a 1.5mm socket.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Any idea how to get the stripped screw out. Will JB weld work on this small size (t2.6*6) screw. what are the other options do I have. Thank you for your help.!! This is my first heli and a first crash sorry for annoying you guys with questions.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cut a slot in the screw head with a dremel tool with cutoff wheel .then remove with straight screwdriver.
Weule, Smoggie and Number like this.
Old 11-18-2020, 11:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

!!!!UPDATE
I was able to cut a slot using dremel and removed the screw using flat screw driver. I did applied lot of thread lock and that’s what made this mess.
Thank you everyone for your input and guidance!!!
Old 12-12-2020, 01:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Screw extraction tool

Hi everyone. New here and getting back into helis. Building a 450L. I am not a fan of button head screws and ordered the stainless screw set from RC Screwz. Evidently you can spec hex heads instead of buttons.

I could not remove a 1.5 mil servo mounting screw in one facing reverse and fits into a cavity on the main bearing frame. Tried the dremel/slot scenario and did not work.

https://www.amazon.com/VAMPLIERS-Wor...kle_mcd_asin_0

I ordered a pair of these and they are a great tool. I was able to get it out but only about a few thousands of a turn initially. They also work great on 2mm button heads.

I now know to go easy on locktite.
Uplatedesign is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in