Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Jeti Duplex Radio Systems

Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Support

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By blarks
  • 1 Post By Island Heli
  • 3 Post By Island Heli

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2020, 04:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Gimbals - Plastic vs Metal

Only ever had Futaba, several models over the years - currently an 8FG, so I have only ever experienced plastic gimbals.

Now I am considering a Jeti DS-12 and I see there are two versions, standard and special edition.

The main difference between the two is that the special edition has metal gimbals whereas the standard has plastic gimbals. That isn't the only difference but the only one that would be significant to me.

But never having experienced Jeti gimbals myself and never metal gimbals of any make I wonder what is the difference.

Are the metal gimbals genuinely better or is it largely bling and hype. I have even seen people saying that they don't like the metal gimbals on another make (not Jeti) because of the noticeable 'clunk' as the sticks cross the centre.

Cheers,

Nigel
nheather is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2020, 04:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nheather View Post
Only ever had Futaba, several models over the years - currently an 8FG, so I have only ever experienced plastic gimbals.

Now I am considering a Jeti DS-12 and I see there are two versions, standard and special edition.

The main difference between the two is that the special edition has metal gimbals whereas the standard has plastic gimbals. That isn't the only difference but the only one that would be significant to me.

But never having experienced Jeti gimbals myself and never metal gimbals of any make I wonder what is the difference.

Are the metal gimbals genuinely better or is it largely bling and hype. I have even seen people saying that they don't like the metal gimbals on another make (not Jeti) because of the noticeable 'clunk' as the sticks cross the centre.

Cheers,

Nigel
I have one metal and one plastic in my radio, honestly I can't tell the difference at least while flying anyway, maybe others can but I cannot speak for them. Would I buy metal over plastic? If I had cash to burn, sure why not. I certainly am not running out to change out my remaining plastic gimbal though. Only reason I have one metal is I replaced a faulty gimbal with it because I got it locally for a good deal otherwise I would have been content with the plastic replacement.
nheather likes this.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello Nigel
I bought the special edition as it is about 120 dearer in the UK but you get the alloy case which costs 48 and a receiver which costs 63 so not much dearer when you take the extras into it. And then you get carbon front panel and alloy gimbals. I have not touched the normal ds12 with plastic gimbals so could not comment on the difference. I read that the normal ds12 with plastic gimbals that you can not rotate them but the alloy ones are rotateable and i have rotated them so more inline with the thums movement when you hold the tx. If you look at the spirit website
https://store.spirit-system.com/en/r...lex-ds-12.html you can see the extras that Tomas feels are needed for helicopter use, there are 4 extra moduals extra. Also with Jeti Uk just down the road from you there would be no problem sorting any thing out. Jeti Uk was also able to swap the rx that comes with the tx to a REX3 so able to use with the Spirit.....
Regards Adrian
nheather likes this.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Heli View Post
Hello Nigel
I bought the special edition as it is about 120 dearer in the UK but you get the alloy case which costs 48 and a receiver which costs 63 so not much dearer when you take the extras into it. And then you get carbon front panel and alloy gimbals. I have not touched the normal ds12 with plastic gimbals so could not comment on the difference. I read that the normal ds12 with plastic gimbals that you can not rotate them but the alloy ones are rotateable and i have rotated them so more inline with the thums movement when you hold the tx. If you look at the spirit website
https://store.spirit-system.com/en/r...lex-ds-12.html you can see the extras that Tomas feels are needed for helicopter use, there are 4 extra moduals extra. Also with Jeti Uk just down the road from you there would be no problem sorting any thing out. Jeti Uk was also able to swap the rx that comes with the tx to a REX3 so able to use with the Spirit.....
Regards Adrian
Yes I am aware of the other extras and if you want them it is decent value.

Not such a big deal for me now.

I recognise the cost and value of the aluminium case but in reality I doubt I would use it. I had one with a Futaba transmitter which I never used.

Im not a fan of faux-carbon and Im not that keen on the special edition logo. They are that bad, just that they wouldnt be my first choice.

And the receiver, Id prefer the price difference was another 10-20 and the included a more capable receiver.

Which is why Im interested how significant the metal gimbals are.

Cheers,

Nigel
nheather is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2020, 11:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nheather View Post
Yes I am aware of the other extras and if you want them it is decent value.

Not such a big deal for me now.

I recognise the cost and value of the aluminium case but in reality I doubt I would use it. I had one with a Futaba transmitter which I never used.

I’m not a fan of faux-carbon and I’m not that keen on the special edition logo. They are that bad, just that they wouldn’t be my first choice.

And the receiver, I’d prefer the price difference was another 10-20 and the included a more capable receiver.

Which is why I’m interested how significant the metal gimbals are.

Cheers,

Nigel

If you do not like faux- carbon you are in luck as it is real carbon. As i said Bernie at Jeti Uk swaped out the receiver for me so i could use it with the Spirit and i would ask him about a different rx and perhaps he would change out the rx for you......

Last edited by Island Heli; 11-29-2020 at 01:47 AM..
Island Heli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2020, 03:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

For me, the case and rx were enough value to get the combo.

If you don’t need them, the metal gimbals and metal buttons are good.
The carbon faceplate is real.
BuildFlyCrashRepeat is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in