Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > FrSky

FrSky FrSky product discussion.

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2020, 12:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thinking of Switching to Frsky

I currently use Futaba with S-FHSS protocol. Thinking of switching to Frsky Horus x10. I love the value with telemetry and integration with Sprit FBL. However, I'm concerned about the relatively high latency. Looks like Frsky latency with sbus averages 20-40ms. Seems high, but will the user really notice the difference? There are plenty of transmitter latency numbers reported on the internet, but numbers don't mean much without the real world experience. Does anyone have direct experience they can share?
Grewrob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2020, 06:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I switched from the Spektrum DX9 to the Taranis X9D+ Pro (and a Horus X10S) and notice far more flexibility with Taranis / Horus radios (especially using the OpenTX firmware) over the Spektrum. Then you have the expansion bay housing a multi-mode module and now the Taranis can control nearly every receiver available.

Actually, I found it easier to use / program for me. Plus the PC based Companion software that allows one to program the radio and test the programing results on screen, before flying, is what sealed the deal for me.

As far as latency goes, I found no noticeable difference / problems. But then again, I am not a hardcore 3D flyer.

The cost of ownership issue is also a no-brainer.

Just my humble opinion
04fxdwgi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2020, 08:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have no latency issues, but I've been flying FrSky for years. There are a couple of things that you can use to reduce latency with it.

1 - Use only 8 channels or less. I fly Brain and you can use up to about a dozen channels with the tuning parameters. You'll notice when you add more channels that the transmitter will indicate that the latency will go up.

2 - ACCESS has lower latency that ACCST. Since you're buying a new radio, just buy and use ACCESS receivers. Just use an Archer R4 or R-XSR as a receiver. Don't let the tiny size and price fool you. They are rock solid RXs.
Old 12-08-2020, 05:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. Very helpful

I bought a used Horus with ACCSS. Are ACCESS receivers compatible with ACCSS?
Old 12-08-2020, 07:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

ACCST and ACCESS are two different protocols.

Do not use the Archer receivers as they do not support ACCST.

The RX series of receivers can do both protocols, so if you do decide to upgrade your TX at some point, you are forward comparable. Stick with the RXSR or RX4R, RX6R etc.
Old 12-08-2020, 08:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been flying FrSky for like 3 years. I have never noticed any significant latency. Maybe it's there, maybe it's "worse" than Futaba S-FHSS, maybe a super top end professional pilot would notice. But I don't.
AtTheCross likes this.
Old 12-08-2020, 09:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number View Post
I've been flying FrSky for like 3 years. I have never noticed any significant latency. Maybe it's there, maybe it's "worse" than Futaba S-FHSS, maybe a super top end professional pilot would notice. But I don't.
Because you aren't superhuman in your piloting skills already? I have seen you fly. I ain't buying it! If anyone could discern 5ms difference in latency, it'd be you.
beltfedbrowning and Grewrob like this.
Ivan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2020, 10:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Question about the Horus X12S

I'm considering swapping from my DX8 G2 to the Horus X12S. I currently fly spektrum dsmx satellites on all my models. Would this frsky sat be all that I need to convert my fbl? And what cable would I need to connect the frsky sat to my fbl? 1-Brain2, 2-spirits, 1-omp v2.

Thanks for any input

frsky sat - https://www.amainhobbies.com/frsky-r...022441/p696002
BELL SKY is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2020, 11:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bell, the R-XSR is a great, small receiver. It comes with a 5-pin cable that plugs into the header, but you'll probably find that you'll need to crimp your own connectors to the other end.

You will need two separate connections from the R-XSR to the FBLs. One is for telemetry (S.Port) and one is for the channel data (S.BUS). On both Brain & Spirit you will need an inverter cables on one of those connections. For the Spirit, the inverter cable is needed for telemetry/integration between S.Port and SYS. For Brain, it's needed between the S.BUS and SAT1 or something like that. That’s from memory, check the manual to be sure.

The inverter cables are made by their respective manufacturers. Open up the manuals for each FBL and you'll see where you need them. The Brain is of course in the software itself. Here's the Spirit info: http://manual.spirit-system.com/inde...TX_Integration
BELL SKY likes this.

Last edited by xoexoe; 12-17-2020 at 11:36 PM..
xoexoe is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2020, 11:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a few Spirit inverter cables I am not using. They have the standard servo connectors (0.1", 2.54 mm pitch) connectors on both ends rather than the Spektrum 1.5 mm pitch on one end. I preferred it even on the µSpirit because I could easily disconnect it to gain access to the SYS port, which S.Port telemetry also uses.

You can have two if you decide to pull the trigger on FrSky + Spirit. Let me know.

Oh yeah, one last thing that comes in handy with FrSky stuff is the ability to crimp your own connectors.
BELL SKY likes this.

Last edited by xoexoe; 12-17-2020 at 11:41 PM..
Old 12-18-2020, 12:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Appreciate the replies Xoe, do you happen to have a picture of the cables I can see for reference or does a mfg make them? I'm not gonna bs, wire crimping is not my specialty. I appreciate the offer as well, if it's something I can not source I will let you know.
Old 12-18-2020, 12:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Links:

https://store.spirit-system.com/en/a...ion-cable.html

https://www.amainhobbies.com/msheli-...h51645/p893695

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELL SKY View Post
Appreciate the replies Xoe, do you happen to have a picture of the cables I can see for reference or does a mfg make them? I'm not gonna bs, wire crimping is not my specialty. I appreciate the offer as well, if it's something I can not source I will let you know.
I recommend you look at the products and videos made by Hansen Hobbies. http://www.hansenhobbies.com/products/connectors/

60 Second Servo Connector (1 min 21 sec)
Old 12-18-2020, 09:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

10-4, I appreciate the info. I see spirit does not have any of the cables in stock. Is there a place I can source them locally? I checked out the store link on the bottom for custom leads but I’m not sure what I was looking for. I’m just used to spektrum sats so frsky is all new to me. Thanks again
Old 12-18-2020, 11:08 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

You might ask Tomas directly when he’ll get more in stock. Do it soon since it’s evening in Czech already. Never seen another place that sells them to the US other than the Worldwide eshop on Spirit’s website.
Old 12-20-2020, 08:23 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info. It's very helpful.

Do you know if the FrSky integration cable is the same as the SBus inverter cable? Hopefully the answer is yes because I have an inverter cable for sbus but not FrSky
BELL SKY likes this.
Old 12-20-2020, 12:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

you don't need cables if you solder to the inverted pads on the r-xsr
BELL SKY and xoexoe like this.
P.I.Engineer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2020, 12:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewrob View Post
Thanks for all the info. It's very helpful.

Do you know if the FrSky integration cable is the same as the SBus inverter cable? Hopefully the answer is yes because I have an inverter cable for sbus but not FrSky
I think the only difference might be what voltage it runs on. It's kind of confusing, but I think S.Bus runs on 3.3V and S.Port runs on 5. However most 5V inverters will work just fine with 3.3V.

I use F.Port by hooking into the inverted port on the X4R-SB ala Oscarliang.com so I haven't used an inverter...yet.

I bought all the stuff to convert my X12S to ACCESS and a couple Archer R4s. The problem is that they still need the inverted signal and the inverted signal is only on a leg of the microchip, so it's extremely difficult to solder into.

Hence, I bought all the stuff to make this:

https://hackaday.io/project/27894-fr...tport-inverter

I bought enough to make 10, but 60 boards. So if the first 10 work, I can order more resistors and MOSFETs. So far I have about $15 in stuff. I think if I make all 60, the price comes to about $0.20 each.

Here's to hoping!
BELL SKY likes this.
Ivan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2021, 01:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.I.Engineer View Post
you don't need cables if you solder to the inverted pads on the r-xsr
Do you have an example of this? I'm not really interested in the telemetry at the moment. I'm only focused on getting them in the air. The only thing stopping me from switching to open tx is that there are no inverter cables available from spirit atm. If I could bypass these cables and "solder to the inverter pads" it would make the decision to switch a lot easier.

Thanks
Old 01-02-2021, 01:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you don't need telemetry (so no S.Port or F.Port), you can just use a regular female to female servo lead directly between the S.Bus ports.
Old 01-02-2021, 03:04 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the reply, I'm trying to wrap my head around this.

To use the R-XSR S.Bus rx what cable would I need? Furthermore the sbus port would obviously plug into the rx but what ch. does the lead plug into on the spirit? I cant seem to find an sbus-sbus cable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in