Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics > Futaba CGY750 FBL System

Futaba CGY750 FBL System Futaba CGY750 Help and features Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 06:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question BPS-1 RPM Sensor install question

OK, so I got one of the new BPS-1 sensors that plug into the OS engine backplate & the instructions specify that it is to be glued in using "non-solvent, alcohol-release type silicone adhesive" and it also mentions "silicone resin".

So just what the hell is that?

I interpreted that to mean clear, non-conductive RTV silicone - so that's what I used.

Did I screw the pooch on this or what?
jpooch00 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2011, 09:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Silicon is the way to go. I asked SKaluf at Futaba/Hobbico about 'Goop' and it looks like that will work too.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default what brand of silacone

I also would like to know what brand and type of silacone resin to use... I wish Futaba instructions would suggest the best to use...
Old 07-12-2011, 07:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

That would probably open another can of worms 'why is Futaba recommending brand X, what is wrong with brand Y? I'm just going to use a tube (just a small dab actually) of some RTV silicon to mount mount mine. The biggest issue is keeping the sensor in place, not having it come loose in the oily and hot environment that it is in during operation.
Yes, it would have been nice if Futaba could have just included and small little tube of sealant (like the small little tube of loctite that MA includes with kits, or the grease that Align includes) with the unit. Maybe in the future.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcordell View Post
That would probably open another can of worms 'why is Futaba recommending brand X, what is wrong with brand Y? I'm just going to use a tube (just a small dab actually) of some RTV silicon to mount mount mine. The biggest issue is keeping the sensor in place, not having it come loose in the oily and hot environment that it is in during operation.
Yes, it would have been nice if Futaba could have just included and small little tube of sealant (like the small little tube of loctite that MA includes with kits, or the grease that Align includes) with the unit. Maybe in the future.
Or if they would just say "clear RTV", that would be nice too.

From what I could find out, silicone resin is usually a 2-part system like an epoxy and it's used as a contact adhesive.

Like you said though, a small unmarked tube of whatever they want you to use included with the sensor would be the best way to go.

Anyway, I used RTV & the sensor's showing 82% when I run the engine with the starter. I guess that's good enough.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Perfect. I was going to add a note as I did on RR for installing the sensor. As you have found out, to get a good sensor reading you MUST spin the motor with your starter. It will not pick up a reading by turning it over by hand.
I ended up picking up a tube of Permatex Clear RTV Siliclon to mount mine. Now just waiting for it to completely cure and install backplate. Hopefull will test fly it tomorrow. BTW, I did chat with Hobbico/Futaba this afternoon and mentioned that it sure would be nice to include a very small tube (as you saw, not very much is needed at all) of silicon with the sensor. Also need to update the instructions with something a little more clearer about using a starter to check Max %.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

BTW, my Max reading was 86%
Old 07-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Okay, test flew my Fury 55 with the BPS-1 sensor today. Left all of the CGY-750 governor menu settings the same as with the old sensor and no issues at all. Model flew just as it did before. Now no need to worry about throwing a magnet (never happened to me, but I do know a guy that it did happen to once). Also, no adjustments needed to get highest sensor reading by jockying around the sensor and getting it as close to the magnet as you can, or to the guys who feel that you need to install both magnets (one upside down of course) to balance out the fan, or having to find the exact spot in the fan to put the magnet in the first place. Looks like a great win here, now if we could just get YS to make a backplate....
Old 08-01-2011, 09:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What do you have to do to the OS backplate to prepare it for the censor? There doesn't seem to be any instructions on this anywhere.
Kasama Srimok 90N with cyber head
ozsteel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

You have to have the backplate that is designed for the sensor (has the hole cavitity). All you do is fill it 2/3 full with RTV, install the sensor, clean off the excess RTV. Good to go.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsteel View Post
What do you have to do to the OS backplate to prepare it for the censor? There doesn't seem to be any instructions on this anywhere.
I cleaned the hole with alcohol, but that's it. Filled the hole about 1/3 with Permatex Silicon Adhesive Clear RTV, stuck the sensor in all the way, wiped off the excess RTV, and let it sit overnight.
dchekas is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1911 View Post
I cleaned the hole with alcohol, but that's it. Filled the hole about 1/3 with Permatex Silicon Adhesive Clear RTV, stuck the sensor in all the way, wiped off the excess RTV, and let it sit overnight.
I did exactly the same thing with the same product & it seemed to work just fine.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Looking at the BSP-1 manual it looked like you need to remove the centre of the sensor mount exposing the inside of the engine to the sensor but if I understand you guys correctly you leave the backplate as is and push the sensor into the mount until it comes into contact with the bottom of the hole. So the sensor in effect reads through this thin layer.

Right?
Kasama Srimok 90N with cyber head
ozsteel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 09:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hell no, don't do that, the engine will not work correctly!
The crankcase is pressurized...

I only got 48% on the sensor test but it seems to work

Gryphon field rep
Jafa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 09:53 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Unless you are using the newer 55 with the pressurized carb, you need to somehow plug the hole in the center of the backplate (I used JB weld on mine, put a piece of tape on inside, for a smooth surface not to interfer with the crank). Install the sensor in the hole in the backplate with RTV. Crank the motor WITH your starter (the sensor will not read by hand turning) and check sensor %. I got 86%. Good to go.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsteel View Post
Looking at the BSP-1 manual it looked like you need to remove the centre of the sensor mount exposing the inside of the engine to the sensor but if I understand you guys correctly you leave the backplate as is and push the sensor into the mount until it comes into contact with the bottom of the hole. So the sensor in effect reads through this thin layer.

Right?
I saw that too. I assumed that it was a misprint and did what everybody else seems to have done & just cleaned the hole with alcohol, filled about 1/4 full with clear RTV and pressed the sensor in applying constant pressure to the center where the wire comes out till no more glue was squeezing out. Then wiped away the excess & let it sit for 24 hours. If I remember right, I got 82% or so when I tested it.

Good luck,

John
Old 08-02-2011, 10:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcordell View Post
Unless you are using the newer 55 with the pressurized carb, you need to somehow plug the hole in the center of the backplate (I used JB weld on mine, put a piece of tape on inside, for a smooth surface not to interfer with the crank). Install the sensor in the hole in the backplate with RTV. Crank the motor WITH your starter (the sensor will not read by hand turning) and check sensor %. I got 86%. Good to go.
My OS55HZ (NOT -R) that I bought in May included a backplate that has the mounting hole for the BPS-1.

I don't see this particular design on the Tower hobbies page though... Just the -R version of the backplate.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:54 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK, so I went to order everything for this, sensor, backplate, screws, and seal but the only backplate I can find with the sensor is for OS 55HZ-R and I have an OS 55HZ-H. I think the parts are the same minus the sensor mount, does anyone know?
michaelrc51 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2011, 06:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The "R" version is going to have the hole for the pressure line... You'll need to plug this.

Not sure why O.S. hasn't released the backplate w/ BPS-1 mount for the muffler pressure engines as a spare part yet.

It exists, as seen on my engine below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0549.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	244805  
Old 08-07-2011, 05:59 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you get the backplate with the pressure hole, just either put a screw in it or fill it with JB Weld. Be very careful that whatever you do it is flush on the inside part of the plate so the crank won't hit it. I did mine with JB Weld, put a piece of scotch tape over the hole on the inside, fill hole with JB Weld on a toothpick from the outside, let it sit overnight, pulled the tape off and have a perfect flush fill. Sensor works great, just make sure you fill the hole with at least 1/3 to 1/2 way with RTV, push the sensor in, clean off the excess RTV and let sit overnight again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in