Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > HELI-X Flight Sim

HELI-X Flight Sim HELI-X Flight Sim for Mac, Windows, Linux

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2021, 06:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tried this last night

Downloaded the free demo and thought it was a good program for the money and graphics too.

Been using Phoenix which being free is good but let down with the graphics and doesn't feel as smooth.

Even used the wireless dongle too on Heli which was a bonus.

Haven't used realflight and that is expensive in comparison but if anyone has used both what would you stick too? Tried Accurc but didn't really get to fly.
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2021, 05:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Phoneix is very nice but needs a serious Graphics card to get the best out of it.

I think all the sims now need a minimum of a 250 buck low end Graphics card including Heli-X to get the absolute best experience.

I enjoyed the Heli-X demo many many hours when 1st starting out. Never did get sound working on Ubuntu though. I loved the Altech field and wish I could incorporate it into all sims.
Strech79 likes this.
Old 01-14-2021, 06:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Agree. Phoenix isn’t being supported anymore from what I read so doubt they ever will get that.

I have a gaming laptop so graphics isn’t an issue. Heli x looks good tbh. May try Accurc when I get a chance to sit down and look at the correct setting up.

Either way heli and accurc aren’t badly priced. Half of realflight
Old 01-15-2021, 04:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Heli-x is a really good sim and well worth the price.

Free upgrades.
heli23 and SyncRate like this.
wab223 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2021, 06:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sure looks like it, can you fly a 230 on it?
Old 01-15-2021, 06:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strech79 View Post
Agree. Phoenix isn’t being supported anymore from what I read so doubt they ever will get that.

I have a gaming laptop so graphics isn’t an issue. Heli x looks good tbh. May try Accurc when I get a chance to sit down and look at the correct setting up.

Either way heli and accurc aren’t badly priced. Half of realflight
Do you fly planes on Phoenix as well? I like Phoenix best for planes now. I haven't used Phoenix for Helis since I got neXt. Its worlds better for helis. It takes a very lot of tweaking to get a model that can even be flown.

As for neXt simulator ts set up is a bit more inutitive. With its expo and DR functions.
DR gives you speed at max stick and expo makes it managable.

In Phoenix though they have servo speed and over all model speed and tail rotor pitch and even tail rotor RPM for instance to slow the tail down or speed it up.

Simulator speed increasing makes the model drop knifed edge faster more like a real heli instead of floating like a baloon but is a huge graphics hog once you go past 105.
Also having graphics set to max will make the frames jumpy.
Strech79 likes this.
Old 01-15-2021, 06:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Blade,

I only fly helis, cant see me going plane route tbh, but have all the stuff for Phoenix.

Haven't seen neXt till now that looks good also, maybe slightly crisper than the Heli X. neXt is slightly more expensive, then it looks like you have to pay for the wireless option too where Heli is free, already have the dongle, certainly looks the part mind.

I have no experience with doing set ups being total noob, a case of download calibrate and fly would be ideal.
Old 01-15-2021, 02:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is no 230 in the list.

How are you liking the 230? I have had one since early V1 release.
wab223 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2021, 02:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi there.

Yes I have the new 230 so was wanting to get some sim time in before I actually flew it.

Unless there is a close alternative to it may be worth doing that?

Seems a nice solid heli. Flying the nano indoors but need some 230 time
Old 01-15-2021, 03:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hi Blade,

I only fly helis, cant see me going plane route tbh, but have all the stuff for Phoenix.

Haven't seen neXt till now that looks good also, maybe slightly crisper than the Heli X. neXt is slightly more expensive, then it looks like you have to pay for the wireless option too where Heli is free, already have the dongle, certainly looks the part mind.

I have no experience with doing set ups being total noob, a case of download calibrate and fly would be ideal.
neXt is awesome I'd like to try Realflight as well. They have come down in price to like 99 bucks now since you don't have to have a Realflight TX any longer. You have to pay for their updates though.

The trick to setting up any heli, real or sim is to set the rudder, ailerons, elevator and pitch to move at max stick at the speed you wish them to move. Then add expo to each of those functions so the model is not too sensitive when you barely touch the stick.

Nothing will wreck you quicker than a rudder that's too fast at min stick. Then if it flips too fast on top of that you have double trouble.
Old 01-15-2021, 03:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Think the price is key. Phoenix is free so that’s a big one but lacks graphics. Rf is pricey along with the neXt.

So that leaves accurc and then heli x as they’re similar in prices and look crisp.

I really want to get my head around how to tune setup and adjust helis. The manual doesn’t say much and some of the lingo makes me think no way lol

Assuming you can set a program specifically for the sim to use?

I’ve set up on Phoenix and works well with modes 0 1 and 2 then next time it’s like flying 3D 🏻

Old 01-24-2021, 06:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Which sim did you go with Stretch79?

I tried AccuRC since it was cheaper and so far so good just need more Graphics power.

I was gonna buy neXt but they seem to have taken out completely the settings that allowed me enough hang time to do realist aerobatic autorotations.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:22 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Blade

I narrowed it down to heli x and accurc as accurc seemed quite hard to set up but the support from accurc was spot on and helped me being the idiot I am haha

So got accurc and been flying the 130 which was nearest to the 230. Only down side is the amount they have ready to fly. Phoenix had loads but it’s no where near as good as accurc.

Once setting up a new model on the tx it’s been good. Happy with graphics etc. Think the heli is very sensitive compared to standard but this can be adjusted.

They start from normal mode rather than beginner as it prepares you better so getting used to it.

Can’t even do a figure if 8 yet lol

Old 01-24-2021, 07:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hi Blade

I narrowed it down to heli x and accurc as accurc seemed quite hard to set up but the support from accurc was spot on and helped me being the idiot I am haha

So got accurc and been flying the 130 which was nearest to the 230. Only down side is the amount they have ready to fly. Phoenix had loads but itís no where near as good as accurc.

Once setting up a new model on the tx itís been good. Happy with graphics etc. Think the heli is very sensitive compared to standard but this can be adjusted.

They start from normal mode rather than beginner as it prepares you better so getting used to it.

Canít even do a figure if 8 yet lol

What kind of TX do you have?

I remember working on figure 8's forever still do Its not like you can fly the thing that far a way from you.

At first I just went half way around a circle brought it backwards to avoid nose in then one day I made it all the way around.
Always do everything both ways left and right.

I got AccuRC as well and luckily my system just will run it decent on Ultra Low settings.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:09 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I’ve got an old DX6 gen 2, only has 6 channels so limited as to what I can set up on it.

I’m going to get the nano out today I reckon and try to match the sim to the actual flying.

Been watching the videos on figure of 8’s they make it look easy lol
Old 01-25-2021, 04:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I’ve got an old DX6 gen 2, only has 6 channels so limited as to what I can set up on it.

I’m going to get the nano out today I reckon and try to match the sim to the actual flying.

Been watching the videos on figure of 8’s they make it look easy lol
Yeah those are great for flying the Blade stuff.
I tried out the 130 last night on AccuRC and it flies a lot like a Nano.

They are great to learn. The closer it got to dark I always tried to keep the sky in the background so I can see the thing.

I do that with all heli's closer to dark though.
Old 01-26-2021, 07:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

it is very sensitive indeed, needs very small movements, next thing you know the heli is miles away and i stuff it lol
Old 01-26-2021, 08:50 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you are still at the early stages of learning, I would personally suggest you stick to flying something larger. The small helicopters are a bit "squirrelly" and I think you will progress faster by trying one of the 400 - 500 size models which are more stable and easier to see! Once you get proficient with flying that, you can always go back to the smaller models if you want.

Regards
Gary
gweller is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2021, 09:03 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Gary,

I mentioned this to someone else about being able to manage the larger ones better, which I did.

If flying larger on the sim and smaller in real life would that not hinder my progress being new?
Old 01-26-2021, 11:54 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hi Gary,

I mentioned this to someone else about being able to manage the larger ones better, which I did.

If flying larger on the sim and smaller in real life would that not hinder my progress being new?
As I see it, flying in the sim is all about building up "muscle memory" and learning how to control the heli in all orientations, and to be able to practice new things without breaking the bank balance! In my opinion it's much easier to do this with a bigger, more stable model than with the smaller ones that (in the sim at least) always seem very twitchy to me.

IRL I fly models ranging from the XK130 up to the Oxy 3, and use both AccuRc and Heli-X. In the sims I usually fly the Logo 480, Logo 600 and the MiniProtos. What you learn on those is translatable back to your helis in the real world, even if you are flying much smaller models. Of course there are other tricks to learning, like slowing the sim down to 80% - 75% real speed in order to help getting the stick movements sorted out, then gradually going up to 100% as you gain confidence. Like anything, just persevere with it and it will eventually stick!

Regards
Gary
gweller is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in