Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > R/C Helicopter Event Forum

R/C Helicopter Event Forum Please add your events to this forum so people know where the action is

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2021, 10:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Birmingham 2021 Feeler: Are you attending events?

Greetings All,

I'm here to drop a line and some info about the Birmingham event and get some community feedback. Covid has caused a lot of uncertainty this past year, and has created unfortunate circumstances for nearly everyone.

Last year, Birmingham 2020 was canceled due to County and State restrictions on gatherings in place at that time. We are now very near the 2021 event date of March 19-21. We are skeptical of the turnout due to other event cancellations and the turnout of previous events last year.

Many things from the planning stage are already completed, but the past year has really thrown a wrench in the plans and we have really no idea how many people are attending events.

Rather than pull the plug immediately, I am here to see what YOUR plans are when it comes to attending events.

I'm here today to get your opinions:

Are you attending events?
Are you traveling to events?
Did/Do you have plans to attend Birmingham?

Please share any thoughts, and do not let this turn into a fear of covid thread. I simply need to know, is the average modeler traveling to events?

We want to have the event, we have had some unfortunate circumstances at the field, and not having the event has hurt us getting things taken care of. So please, share your thoughts.
jtcrowder49 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2021, 11:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would love to get back to some events. I'd be there for sure.
beeflyer2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2021, 12:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I attended IRCHA last year and it was an absolute blast. I understand the concerns many people have and respect their decisions to not attend based on their own situation but if I am able to attend similar events this year, I will.
Old 01-26-2021, 04:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I was hoping you would post a date. I am already adding events to my calendar. Fortunately Iím off work that weekend and will plan on being there. Hope it happens!
Cheers
Alan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
flyalan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2021, 05:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm totally jonesing to see what everyone else has been up to. As recently as this weekend I was thinking it'd be nice to see some models other than my own. If at all possible, I absolutely will be there.

A couple of thoughts:
-- Things at work are a little uncertain at the moment. I'm not certain what days I'll have have off.

-- In the last couple of years the event seemed like it was 50% Synergy reps (OK that's an exaggeration). Things have changed at Synergy so I don't know if a lot of those guys still will come.

Last edited by wjvail; 01-27-2021 at 01:47 AM..
wjvail is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2021, 10:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was looking for a date for your event. Unfortunately that weekend conflicts with a heli event at AMPS in West Miami the same weekend. Since I live in South Florida I canít miss that one. If you change the date, please let us know. Thank you for the update.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rogue22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2021, 02:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

If i can make it i will, no plans that weekend would love to come, only one ever been to was in 2016, just came and watched wasn't really flying helis back then around a big crowd.

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2021, 02:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would think the answer your are wanting is to the question "will attendance be low". The answer is yes it will most likely be low.

Any event that chose to occur last year, even though they should have cancelled, saw significant downturns in attendance, in addition to risking the health and safety of participants. I believe that attendance at events will continue to be down throughout this year.

We are still in a situation where the virus can take a turn at any point. If the new UK strain does take over as the dominant strain by March, and does spread more significantly, then you might find yourself in a situation where the state/county/city makes a decision to limit attendance at events. A possibility of an even worse situation is if the South African variant starts to spread here as it seems to not be curtailed as well by the current vaccine, and it seems to be resistant to some of the currently used medications. This would also prompt localities to limit attendance at events.

I would suggest enjoy your flying this year and stay safe, and come back in 2022 when a larger portion of the population has had the opportunity to receive the vaccine.
charles is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2021, 03:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You might want to consider a more informal event. Just a date and see to it the field is groomed. No sponsors, raffles etc. low key. Small landing fee.
I wonít be traveling to many this year but since Birmingham is close I would go at least for the Saturday. Same with Huntsville if they have one.
Cheers
Alan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
flyalan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2021, 08:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

We had our annual Red white and blue fly in at our field last June 2020 and we had at least 30 pilots. we then hosted a EF pop up event a few weeks later with only a weeks notice and again we had at least 30 pilots and more then 50 people total. for a day event.

I also attended other events and they all had at least 30+ Pilots. i know 30 would be very low for this event but i think folks would show up. if things don't get worst.

I will admit last year when it first hit everyone canceled events and i went no where, our field was even shut down due to being in a county park ( not the field that hosted these events but a different one) So i didn't even fly for like 3 months.
None of us really know how things are going to end up.

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2021, 07:52 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's pencilled in on my calender. Made so few events last year I'm suffering withdrawals

Champaign Il
Helifreak user # 7001
gwright is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2021, 11:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

It's On! It's On! It's On!

We will be having the event with some changes. More info to come when i have a mod update the first post. Thank you for the replies. See you in March!
wjvail, beeflyer2 and Fordster39 like this.
Old 02-16-2021, 07:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Let's get a Facebook event set up to help spread the word. Looking forward to this one!
beeflyer2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2021, 10:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

After not getting to eat any helicopters last year, that ditch is going to be extra hungry this year. Who all is going to help feed this monster?
1helimech likes this.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:41 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Any more details? Anyone seen a flier yet? Jake... You hinted at some changes to this years event - any update as to what to expect?
Old 03-04-2021, 01:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

You know I will be there!
RythmSekshun is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2021, 11:11 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjvail View Post
Any more details? Anyone seen a flier yet? Jake... You hinted at some changes to this years event - any update as to what to expect?

Hi All, sorry for the late and slow replies. I have been down and out due to some health issues (GI related). Rest assured, the event is still on and we are hoping for a nice turnout!.

Yes, as I stated there will be some changes made this year due to various reasons. Please understand these are temporary only for this year, and it is our hope to get back to full steam and then some.

I will spare you the details and get straight to the point as to what you should expect this year.

As usual: The field will be set up this weekend 3/15/2021. The event is from 3/19-21/2021. You are welcome to come early and fly all week!

Camping: RVs, Campers, and tents are all welcome! just remember there are NO HOOKUPS!

Utilities: No dumpster this year. But we will have large trash cans spread down the flight line. Port-a-john will be on site.

Food Service: This year we have a change. Due to the state of the world right now and not having the event last year, I have been unable to estimate the attendance accurately enough for any food vendor to agree to come set up. So I am encouraging everyone to bring a grill and their own snacks. If you have never been here before, the field is quite literally only 5-8 minutes from Chick-fil-a, Logan's, Burger king, Taco Bell, Habanero's, Marco's Pizza, Zaxby's, McDonald's, Bojangle's, and many others!

Pilot's Raffle: This year we will not be having a pilot's raffle. I apologize, but the last year has been difficult for all in the industry. We had planned to put together a kit raffle, but it will not be possible this year. We are planning to bring raffles back next year.

Landing fee: In year's past the fee has always been $25. This year the fee will be $20.

In conclusion: We plan to have a weekend of fun, sky packed, helicopter flying! We hope you guys will make the drive down for the visit and enjoy a stress free day filled with camaraderie!

The Ditch IS HUNGRY! You have been warned!
Old 03-16-2021, 11:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

whats the address?
Old 03-17-2021, 12:37 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

The address is : 7477 Dickey Springs Road Bessemer, AL
Old 03-18-2021, 10:47 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is the field OK ? hope so, are we still good to go ???
1helimech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in