Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > AccuRC Flight Sim

AccuRC Flight Sim AccuRC Flight Sim Discussion

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2021, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Issue with AccuRC after changing monitor

Hi there,

I purchased a new PC not too long ago. However, I was using a very old monitor that could only do 1080p. I had zero issues. But, I bought a new monitor and gave my old one to my son. The new monitor is 2K so I am running the sim at 1440p. This is actually the monitor:

https://www.v7world.com/us/27-2k-qhd...d-monitor.html

I am connecting through HDMI out of my graphics card. The problem is that I have now some apparent issues with frame rates. I checked and I see no problem with actual FPS, GPU and CPU usage, but on fast maneuvers like hurricanes or funnels it seems the background loses FPS and "jumps" so it turns very uncomfortable to fly. This is the exact same PC, just a different monitor. I run neXt and Heli-X as well without any issues. I also run multiple PC games without any issues.

My computer has the following specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU
Asrock 550 motherboard
16GB 3200 DDR4 RAM in two sticks
XFX AMD Radeon RX 580 with 8GB of VRAM
500GB NVME for Windows
500GB SSD for software installations

I keep my drivers up-to-date as well as my operating system, Windows 10 64 bit Home Edition.

Any ideas?
Team Aeropanda / Podcast host Skids Up
toadiscoil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2021, 10:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

are you running the same graphics settings?
Ade_Law is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2021, 11:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I increased my resolution, but overall same settings as I had my settings maxed out before when I was at 1080p. I played around a bit with the FPS settings to see if that helped out but didn't seem to affect anything.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I’ve seen similar things when flying around such that the background is changing. If my views of the background don’t change, I don’t seen the same hesitation.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'll try to see if I can capture that on video with OBS. It's a bit difficult to describe. It's as if the background is "trembling" but if I focus on the heli seems to be always crisp.
Old 02-03-2021, 02:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I know exactly what you are talking about. I just dealt with it recently when I changed nothing. I'm thinking it has something to do with a video card or windows update as nothing else changed. Might be windows update then as I see you are running AMD and i'm nVidia. I played around with various detail, FPS and anti-alias settings. I ended up at 120 FPS and dropped detail to medium (to blur out the picture background) with all ant-alias turned off. This got rid of the jitter or whatever was happening with the picture background.

My specs:

i7 3770 (~2012 - i know its old)
16G RAM
nvidia gtx 1080ti (11GB)
SSD

Maybe start by turning FPS to 120. Then try turning off all anti-alias. Then try turning detail or quality or whatever it is to medium
XL Power Specter 700
fiddle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2021, 05:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Without sitting in front of your PC I'm at a loss to be honest.

Your graphics card perfroms very similarly to my GTX1060 6GB; I can max out the sim at full settings (and full control simulation). That's at 1080p,but I'm using a 144Hz monitor so I run locked at 144fps.

I'm sure I could run 1440p locked at 60fps, so I doubt that resolution is your issue.

The only thing I would suggest is a complete uninstall/reinstall of ARC2, and possibly your GFX drivers as well.

Question to ask before you do that - is all user model/settings data stored in the Steam cloud?

Blade 400 '3DX' | 150s | OMP M2
DX9
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjxIBBszfXNcHtNCM7dbELg
Beserkr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2021, 09:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Problem is that only change is my monitor and every other sim I have (Heli-X and neXt) had no issues. I will try 1080p
Old 02-07-2021, 09:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well the problem was the resolution. I have everything maxed out, including Anti-Alias. Lowering to 1080p gets rid of the issue. Seems like I need a better video card to run it at 1440p.
Old 02-07-2021, 09:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Issue with AccuRC after changing monitor

I spoke too soon unfortunately...

I fired up MSI Afterburner, which I use for the sole purpose of displaying the GPU, CPU and FPS overlay and OBS which I use to record my flights. After doing that, even at 1080p the issue returned. I think I have a pretty beefy computer, the only component that is not as powerful is the video card but when I was using Afterburner even at 1440p the video card was barely breaking a sweat. Other games I have played at 1440p have low FPS and the video card is giving it all it can running hot at high 70 degrees, even 80, and 100% utilization. Here I see only spikes and the temps don't even break the 70's. And those games are still playable, no real issues that cause them to skip FPS like this.

I will give AccuRC another shot once I get another video card as I want to save up for the new nVidia series 3000, a 3060 Ti to be exact. Then I will revisit. I will try to use other sims in the meantime, the effect is really distracting and preventing me to fly properly.

Last edited by toadiscoil; 02-07-2021 at 10:17 PM..
Old 02-08-2021, 05:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I see that monitor supports display port. Give display port a try. Display port will allow a higher refresh rate than HDMI will. It would just involve you buying a different cable. Couldn't hurt!
Beserkr likes this.
XL Power Specter 700
Old 02-08-2021, 07:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use DisplayPort with my monitor to get the 144Hz refresh rate. Can't hurt to try it.

I would still use a driver removal tool to scour the AMD graphics drivers from your system, then reinstall the latest version again.

Then if that doesn't work, uninstall ARC 2 and reinstall that.

I've been building gaming PCs for years; ARC 2 isn't graphically demanding for a modern mid-high end gaming PC. You have the horsepower, this issue is something much more nuanced.

If it's not a subtly broken driver or game install, then it's something far more nuanced since it's only affecting one program in a very minor, albeit annoying way.

Edit: For reference, my here are my PC specs;

AMD FX-8320 overclocked to within an inch of it's life @ ~ 4.6GHz ~ 1.45vcore stable 1hr (stock was 3.5 @ 1.36V) 2012 CPU
16 GB DDR3
EVGA GTX1060 6GB
2 x 500GB SSDs

I can't afford a modern rig at this point, but this cobbled-together machine can still hold it's own against more modern mid-range rigs at 1080p.
wab223 likes this.

DX9

Last edited by Beserkr; 02-08-2021 at 07:20 AM..
Old 02-08-2021, 08:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am using two inputs into this monitor. I have a nice Rocketfish HDMI cable connected from my work laptop to the monitor and I just realized I have a DisplayPort cable from my gaming PC to the monitor. Both look so similar I initially wanted to use the nice HDMI cable and swap it out but forgot my desktop was using DisplayPort. I keep my gaming computer turned off and use my work laptop and viceversa.

I keep my drivers updated as I also do gaming on my computer so it's a best practice. Actually I have it set to automatically update.
Old 02-08-2021, 08:37 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadiscoil View Post
I keep my drivers updated as I also do gaming on my computer so it's a best practice. Actually I have it set to automatically update.
Understood. My thinking isn't whether you have the latest drivers or not, but that a recent update could have a bad registry entry or partially corrupted install. Same for ARC 2.

One thing I've learnt is that PCs can often have an element of 'voodoo' about them and often very minor, obscure issues can cause really annoying problems.

Depends on whether you can be bothered, but if you've exhausted all other options I would give my suggestion a go. It may not fix the problem, but at least you'll have excluded another two variables.

DX9
Old 02-08-2021, 08:52 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you try running this new monitor at 1080p instead of 1440p do the FPS issues disappear?
XL Power Specter 700
Old 02-08-2021, 09:40 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tried that. At first it seemed to solve the issue. But then I loaded a couple more small background programs and the issue came back. One of them is a must for me as I use it to record the videos for YouTube. Another just gave me an overlay of data to understand how much I was loading the computer's hardware.

I found a setting on my monitor called "Overdrive". There's not a lot of documentation for it but sounds like it may increase the refresh rate. I will give it a go see what happens. I've set it to "Fastest".

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddle View Post
If you try running this new monitor at 1080p instead of 1440p do the FPS issues disappear?
Old 02-08-2021, 09:44 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

When I purchased my desktop a few months back I had to install everything from scratch. At that point it was all running fine.

I like AccuRC but I don't want to keep chasing ghosts. If my latest monitor setting fix does not solve the issue I will wait to use it again until I swap out my graphics card which is my only component I was stupid and cheap enough to leave like that when I bought it. Good thing is I am shooting for the latest gen of graphics cards which weren't yet available when I bought my PC. Still, I should have more than enough horsepower but the graphics card I am anyways planning to buy since my gaming is suffering from it so I need it regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beserkr View Post
Understood. My thinking isn't whether you have the latest drivers or not, but that a recent update could have a bad registry entry or partially corrupted install. Same for ARC 2.

One thing I've learnt is that PCs can often have an element of 'voodoo' about them and often very minor, obscure issues can cause really annoying problems.

Depends on whether you can be bothered, but if you've exhausted all other options I would give my suggestion a go. It may not fix the problem, but at least you'll have excluded another two variables.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:52 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Fair enough mate.

My gut feeling is that this is an AMD gfx driver issue; for some reason it doesn't like your new monitor. So, switching to a nice new Nvidia card will possibly solve it. As you want one for other reasons, it's not an unreasonable fix.

ATI / AMD drivers were always a bit shonky compared to Nvidias, though that may have changed in recent years.

I'll be interested to hear what happens when you get that new card!

Good luck!

DX9
Old 02-08-2021, 01:20 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

stuff seems to work better with nVidia. I'm not sure that has anything to do with AMD/ATI having any kind of problem but more so that AAA developers receive direct support from nVidia with integration with their video cards (nVidia even make specific settings files and driver optimizations for them). None of that should affect AccuRC, however, as I'm sure they haven't been contacted by anyone from nVidia.

I've not tried neXt, but Heli-X seems way to easy to me. I wish real life was like that. I'd be Kan Poonoi in no time!
XL Power Specter 700
Old 02-08-2021, 01:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beserkr View Post
AMD FX-8320 overclocked to within an inch of it's life @ ~ 4.6GHz ~ 1.45vcore stable 1hr (stock was 3.5 @ 1.36V) 2012 CPU
Not sure what you use for cooling?

But if you can fit an old cheap CPU fan on the back of the socket and still close your case you should be good for another 200MHZ.
the 8320 and 8320e are easily good for 4.7 prime 95 stable.
wab223 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in