Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ticedoff8

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2021, 04:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default G1 DX8 receiver options

I have a G1 DX8 that I don't intend to replace.
I'm looking at new receivers for my trex470 which I will use the included beastX with.

DSMX SRXL2 Serial Receiver with Telemetry P-SPM4651T
...am I right in thinking I will see nothing telemetry wise with my Gen1 DX8 and the STD align ESC?
This Rx would connect with a single cable into the six pin side port on the beastX. This Rx has increased antenna diversity and full range so is better than connecting a single sat.
Perhaps there is a non telemetry version that is cheaper?

AR6610T 6 Channel DSMX Telemetry Receiver P-SPMAR6610T
As above but you can plug extra days into it... Probably not needed for a 470. Costs more.

I could connect an old style dsmx sat receiver to the beastX. Probably ok for the 470...there's a spare one on my 600nitro Heli that isn't getting flown in lock down...

P-SPM4650 (P-SPM4650) seems to be a bare bones Rx with diversity antennas and srlx2 protocol. Nowhere does it say full range though... But it would appear to have all necessary functionality... Cheap as chips... No telemetry. Maybe I can't use the telemetry anyway...

I could use my current AR6200 dsm2 Rx which has been faultless for years on my old 450, and still works.
This has the same single antenna and ground two wires as a single sat. And some slight fail safe disadvantage of dsm2 which I can't remember...

In my kit there is a lead that would plug into a spektrum sat with some components in line and a STD servo plug on it. So a spektrum sat option plugs into the end of the beast X.

The srxl2 options plug into the side of the beastX on the 6 pin connector.

This srlx2 stuff is new. I do have a beastX usb thing that I've had for years. It is same part number as the current one so it looks like I can upload whatever software is required into my beastX...

Oh it's all confusing..
moyesboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2021, 07:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
DSMX SRXL2 Serial Receiver with Telemetry P-SPM4651T
...am I right in thinking I will see nothing telemetry wise with my Gen1 DX8 and the STD align ESC?
The DX8 (gen1) supports basic telemetry. The DX8 will show you the Spektrum telemetry for Fades, Frame Loss, Holds and RX Voltage.
The DX8g2 and the DX8e support the full suite of telemetry sensors as all the other g2 and newer Spektrum transmitters do.
Quote:
This Rx would connect with a single cable into the six pin side port on the beastX. This Rx has increased antenna diversity and full range so is better than connecting a single sat.
Perhaps there is a non telemetry version that is cheaper?
The BeastX MicroBeast Plus supports SRXL and SRXL2. But, as far as I know, it supports SRXL / SRXL2 input only and not bi-directional.
The SPM4650T is okay as the sole receiver on a 300-size small heli like the Trex 450. Basically, when it craps out no one dies.
Quote:
AR6610T 6 Channel DSMX Telemetry Receiver P-SPMAR6610T
As above but you can plug extra days into it... Probably not needed for a 470. Costs more.
The AR6610T has 6 servo ports (which may be useless to you), supports SRXL2 and allows you to plug in a 2nd SRXL2 (SPM9747) sat (for redundancy).
It gives you the same telemetry as the SPM4651T, but it includes a port for an external voltage input and the 4-pin TM1000-style XBUS (for other Spektrum Receivers).
But, it adds bulk to a 300-size heli like the Trex 450 and mounting it may be a pain.
Quote:
I could connect an old style dsmx sat receiver to the beastX. Probably ok for the 470...there's a spare one on my 600nitro Heli that isn't getting flown in lock down...
The BeastX MicroBeast Plus supports DSM2 / DSMX sats and the US version of the DX8 supports either one.
I think the EU version of the DX8 only support DSMX.
I'm not sure if the MicroBeast Plus support 2 sats. If it does, I'd use 2 sats instead of 1.
Quote:
P-SPM4650 (P-SPM4650) seems to be a bare bones Rx with diversity antennas and srlx2 protocol. Nowhere does it say full range though... But it would appear to have all necessary functionality... Cheap as chips... No telemetry. Maybe I can't use the telemetry anyway...
It is specifically designed for quadcopters. I wouldn't use it in a heli. It does support SRXL2 input only and "short range / fly-by" telemetry.
Quote:
I could use my current AR6200 dsm2 Rx which has been faultless for years on my old 450, and still works.
This has the same single antenna and ground two wires as a single sat. And some slight fail safe disadvantage of dsm2 which I can't remember...
I'd trash the AR6200 and use 2 DSMX sats instead.

Quote:
In my kit there is a lead that would plug into a spektrum sat with some components in line and a STD servo plug on it. So a spektrum sat option plugs into the end of the beast X.
Yep.
Quote:
The srxl2 options plug into the side of the beastX on the 6 pin connector.

This srlx2 stuff is new. I do have a beastX usb thing that I've had for years. It is same part number as the current one so it looks like I can upload whatever software is required into my beastX...
I don't think you have a "BeastX". I think you have a MicroBeast that is manufactured by BeastX.
The latest is the BeastX MicroBeast Plus.
Is that what you have? Or, do you have an old MicroBeast?

If you have the old MicroBeast, I'd recommend a MSH Electronics iKON2 Mini and the Spektrum SPM4651T + 1 DSMX sat.
Then, you set the stage for full telemetry from the ESC and the flight controller.
Plus, you get a lot of other features in the iKON2 that will never be added to the MicroBeast or the MicroBeast Plus.
ticedoff8 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2021, 01:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yes it's a microbeast plus. It's what align supply in their super combo.

It supports only one sat receiver. It's supplied with a lead to connect one. Hence looking at the srxl2 options for increased diversity.

My 6100e never missed beat but it's little antennas don't stick out far.
The SPM4651T looks like a much better option.
I believe the two antennas on that behave as two independent antennas whereas on a std Sat there Is effectively only 1, like my 6100e.

I thought if the antennas were on these longer wires then they had better diversity, could be mounted 90 degrees to another... effectively as good as a 6200 plus Sat, or 7100 plus Sat that I have on my 500 and 600n?

470 could still kill... most likely myself. Point is it is small so doesn't fly far away, so should never drop any frames even using a single Sat or ar6100e type rx.

European, or at least British, dx8g1 does dsm2 and dsmx.
My UK spec txt can switch between high and low power level I think...
Old 02-01-2021, 01:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The SPM4651T has better "diversity" than the SPM4649T.
But its still not good. I wouldn't fly a heli bigger than a 300-size with either one as the one and only receiver.

The SPM46XX receivers were geared towards the quadcopter market.
At least the SPM4651T has both antenna are soldered on and a hard-case. As for "diversity"? Well, IDK.

The SPM4649T was a disaster when it first came out. That receiver didn't have the "quick start" reboot after a brown out and the "diversity" was that if one antenna whisker fell off, there was a 2nd (until that one fell off).
But the topper was that while it was spec'ed at 8.4v (2S LiPo), I literally caught the first two on fire when I plugged them into a 2S LiPo that was only 7.8v at the time. We had to use a BEC set to 7.4v from that point on.

I still use either the SPM4649T or the SPM4651T on my 5 heli with the Brain2.
But, the big difference is that the Brain2 / iKON2 supports the SPM46XXT + 1 or 2 standard DMSX sats directly plugged into the flight controller for a total of 3 active receivers all working a the same time.
I use the SPM4651T + 1 standard Spektrum DSMX sat on my Goblin 380 (the Trex 470 is a little smaller than the G380) and I use the SPM4651T (or SPM4649T) with 2 standard DSMX Spektrum sats on my two Goblin 570, Goblin 700 Nitro and Protos 700 Nitro.
This is less about signal loss or radio interference and more about sat / SRXL cables that get frayed, broken or bad connections. I think the wires and connectors failing on the receivers is probably the most common cause of crashes. The more receivers there are working together, the less impact the failure of one of them causes.

I don't think the MicroBeast Plus supports both a SRXL2 + 1 sat plugged directly into its SRXL2 and sat port.
In that case, the only way to get multiple receivers working together (for redundancy and reliability) is to use an external AR-series receiver with a sat plugged into that.
IMHO: That's a big hole for the MicroBeast Plus.

Before MSH Electronics perfected the use of SRXL + Sats on the Brain2 / iKON2, I used an AR9030T with 3 Spektrum DSMX sats and connected it to my Brain2 with SRXL on my Trex 700N and 600N/E. That was mostly for peace of mind and getting some telemetry.

As for the AR6100 / AR6100e - they are both DSM2 only.
I think that the receivers that use DSM2 exclusively are going to have a limited future.
Additionally, the AR6100T does not support a serial interface, so you loose 2 channels into the flight controller. Using the serial interface (SRXL / SRXL2) into the flight controller will present all the channels that the transmitter supports. That could mean you cannot do "bank switching" or some other feature the MicroBeast Plus would support if there were 8 channels.
IMHO: If you want to play with telemetry, you should get DSMX anyway.

If I had the MicroBeast Plus, I'd use the SPM4651T as the one and only receiver on a mini-size heli like the Trex 470.
The SPM4651T is better than a single DSMX Spektrum sat (which is the only other option for directly connecting a receiver to the MicroBeast Plus).
But, if you are in the EU, the SPM4651T may need to have a firmware update. They were shipping with 2.37.0 and the latest is 2.40.02. They messed up something to do with using the receivers in the EU, so that is something you should consider.
To upgrade it, you need the "SRXL2 Update Cable, Rx-Servo Male & Female-Female" (SPMA3066) adapter cable, the "TX/RX USB Programming Cable" (SPMA3065) programming cable and the "Spektrum Updater" (v1.3) program. But, the cables all work with the new AR-series receivers for updates and AS3X programming.
For AS3X programming, you need the Spektrum Programmer program. It also does the firmware updates too.

And, with a small heli like the T470, it gives you neat wiring and and a compact installation.
Like I said, when the SPM4651T does crap out no one dies. People may get hurt, but no one dies.
cyclo likes this.

Last edited by ticedoff8; 02-01-2021 at 01:36 PM..
ticedoff8 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2021, 12:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Connecting the SPM4651T to the BeastX has some confusions in the instructions.
You don't just swap the black and orange, first you must reverse the connections in the plug 1234 to 4321. Then swap the orange and black.
The attached picture shows the plug connectivity that works with the Rx end undisturbed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beastX spectrum.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	903511  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in