Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > FrSky

FrSky FrSky product discussion.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Hydros27
  • 1 Post By Helique
  • 1 Post By Number
  • 1 Post By getsuyoubi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2021, 08:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have used an older X9D+ Accst for a few years now and bought an X9 Lite S radio with Access yo start switching to the new protocol. I like the feel of the X9D+ more than the Lite S and the switch spacing is better for my fingers. My question is should I just get the new X9D+ 2019 or I have been looking at the X10/X10S Express with interest in trying it out, but not familiar with Fros so I would use open Tx on it anyone thoughts or opinions as to why they use 1 radio vs the other? Thanks.

Last edited by raptorwoody; 08-14-2021 at 11:11 PM..
raptorwoody is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2021, 08:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use the X10s Express and OpenTX. It feels great in my hands, but I like a wide radio. A friend who uses the X9 Lite S says my radio feels like holding a dinner plate to him.

My best advice is find someone local who has one and hold it in your hands. Where are you located?
raptorwoody likes this.
Hydros27 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2021, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nobody I know of around here flies FrSky, They all use Jeti, Spektrum, Futaba and JR. Marion, Iowa.
Old 08-13-2021, 12:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My first FrSky radio was the X9D+. Then I got the Access 2019 version. Now I’m using the X10s Express. I’ve never tried the Fros… always run OpenTX. Depending on how you look at it, you could say the X10 is either “heavier” or “more solid” feeling than the X9D. The color screen on the X10 is nice. It took me awhile to figure out how to configure the display via widgets but, like everything OpenTX, once you figure it out, it’s pretty cool. The gimbals on the X10s are very precise and feel great. I like the programming buttons on the X10 better than the scroll wheel on the X9D. The six position pot on the X10 is handy. The output that you use to flash a receiver or sensor is more sensible on the X10… you can use a standard servo cable, as opposed to having to switch wires in the cable to use the output in the external module bay in the X9D. Of course, with ACCESS receivers you can flash via OTA.
raptorwoody likes this.
Old 08-14-2021, 10:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

The X10S Express is definitely a better radio. The large color LCD makes navigating through OpenTX so much easier than the small monochrome LCDs on the QX7 and X9D. The screens have more detail, words and menu names are shortened less, and the controls make more sense. I had a QX7 and X9D a few years ago, honestly there's just no comparison in navigability. The larger color LCD radios (Horus) also have more CPU power and RAM, which gives you widgets and lets you run larger Lua scripts more easily. The Brain2 integration script, for example, is much easier to use on the color LCD radios.

IMO, if you're buying a new FrSky radio in 2021, definitely get one with ACCESS compatibility. ACCESS is a bit of a point of controversy for some, but whether you love it or hate it, ACCST receivers are getting harder and harder to find in stock, and the newer ACCESS receivers are coming with more features and better design. I upgraded from my X10S to my current X10S Express a while back and couldn't be happier. I use pretty much exclusively (except on helis which I've been too lazy to switch over) the Archer RS receiver, which is a full range telemetry receiver the size of your thumbnail. It has F.Port which is a bidirectional single line communication protocol and if you're using Brain2/iKON2, you can get integration and telemetry over a single wire without the need for adapters, inverters, etc. It's awesome.

The only caviat to the Horus design is the ergonomics. Some people love it, some people hate it. From my experience letting people try it and feel it out, it seems that the people who don't like it are usually pinchers. It doesn't seem like a good radio for pinching. Thumbs though, most people like it. Personally, I'm a thumber and I really like how it feels.

As far as OpenTX vs FrOS, I wouldn't even bother with FrOS. It's already basically abandonware by FrSky, whereas OpenTX will continue getting updates for a very long time. Some people have and still use FrOS, but there is a reason it's not very common and most people use OpenTX. EthOS may be the new FrSky OS but I have no faith in it either. I have a feeling it will share the same fate as FrOS.
raptorwoody likes this.

Last edited by Number; 08-19-2021 at 09:12 AM..
Number is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2021, 10:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have a look at the X20 or X20S. I just got mine a few weeks ago, and it's a fantastic radio! And since you don't seem to be an OpenTX user, it doesn't matter that it's not available for this radio. The new ETHOS operating system is great!
raptorwoody likes this.
getsuyoubi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2021, 09:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I second this vehemently. X20 is sweet. I found Ethos pretty intuitive even coming from Spektrum world. Love it!
Droptanks is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2021, 03:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I ended up ordering the X10 Express. It will not be here till wednesday.
Old 08-27-2021, 01:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorwoody View Post
I ended up ordering the X10 Express. It will not be here till wednesday.
Well?
Old 08-29-2021, 01:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Waiting for my 18650 batteries from Aloft, but it feels ok so far.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I got to use the X10 Express for a couple of flights this weekend. The radio is really nice with all the features and display, but for me it is not very comfortable in my hands as my old X9D+ or the X9D LiteS. I am a Hybrid Pinch flyer and it feels as if I have to hold the radio at a different angle which makes reaching for the switches akward as well. I am gonna try it 1 more time as I just got my neck strap balancer for the X10. This could possibly be up in the classifieds soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in