Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics

JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics JR and Spektrum Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2021, 01:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question ix12 - anybody like it?

I have a DX9... love the radio, other than the power button which over 2 years has accidentally been bumped mid flight shutting off my radio 3 times ... crashing my foamy plane luckily and not one of my helis which would have been a much greater repair. Considering getting an ix12 (or nx10) to eliminate that risk. Anyone like their ix12? I know start-up is slow. Aside from that is is good for general use otherwise?
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2021, 02:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

There are a few. The DX9 is a better, more reliable radio.

I don’t like mine, for the same cost other brands deliver better quality and value. I did not trust the radio when a firmware update caused repeated crashing, forcing restarts. The Gimbals are no better than my DX6 (actually worse since my DX6 has the Teflon mod) Range issues...

Listen to the people that are saying there are problems, not the vocal few that say there are none or it’s not an issue.

It’s a bad radio. The NX series hasn’t been out long enough to have a real track record; but there are issues there too.
Mysterious likes this.
Old 03-09-2021, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Anyone like their ix12? I know start-up is slow. Aside from that is is good for general use otherwise?
My iX12 makes me want to quit Spektrum forever.
I bought it within 6 months of its release and have regretted it ever since.
There are too many times that its let me down. I've never crashed a heli due to an iX12 problem, but I've had to cancel a day of flying because of an iX12 problem.
And, every upgrade is a max-pucker marathon waiting to see if "This Is The Time" it bricks itself.

I'm sure you've already had a chance to read all 1034 pages / 15514 replies on RCG (https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Spektrum-iX12).
I can only guess why there is a group of people that defend it.

I have a DX9 running 2.05 and will never "upgrade" it or get rid of it.
The only way I can see accidently powering off the DX9 is if you tried to unbuckle the neck strap. I don't unbuckle the strap from the DX9 until I put it back in its case. But I definitely would not try to unbuckle the strap while I was flying.

Given the problems Spektrum has had with their transmitter, receiver and charger software, I wouldn't buy a NX-series either.
Look for a used DX9 or DX18g2. Spektrum peaked with those and "Jumped the Shark" with the iX / NX.

Last edited by ticedoff8; 03-09-2021 at 03:48 PM..
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2021, 06:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

I have an iX12 and will be buying an iX20. That said, there have been numerous issues that have bugged many, many users, including myself. For the most part, I have been lucky not to have had many of the major issues since I bought it three years ago this month. Twice, in the past two weeks, however, I have had to reset the radio back to factory (Airware is not set back, however) and didn't look forward to re-binding 54 models. I never did get all the models rebound as I am not that active with them all.

There is a list of bloatware that is installed with the OS that I had not disabled (note: disabled, not deleted) but with a reminder from a post in another forum, I got things back on track and disabled those apps. It is loading faster than it ever did before, knocking better than 20 seconds off of the best time it used to load. It now loads in 1min. 45sec. and switching models has never been an issue. You don't leave the SD card in the slot, don't use the WiFi unless you are connected to the net for updating, and only turn on the Bluetooth if you are using an earbud to hear the voice. The volume has always been low but there is an Android setting that will increase the volume about 20% and make it audible at the flight line but not loud enough to bother the next guy.

So let's take something that is not normally taken as a reason to get the iX12 in place of the DX9 or NX10. The extra channels. There are many helicopters out there that generally use 6 channels to fly and with a 9, that leaves you three for extras like landing gear, lights, or controlling tuning of a gyro as you fly it. Gyros like the iKON2/Brain2 and others have internal adjustments that can be used on the fly in order to fine tune the way a helicopter flies. With that said, on one of my current scale builds, I have need of three channels just for the lighting setup plus one channel that is dedicated to the gyro setups for a given flight mode. The total count there is 10 but the transmitter has 12 channels, right? Not quite.

When the iKON and others are setup for normal performance with today's modern telemetry and remote receivers that have features like SRXL and SRXL2, you need to run the transmitter in 11ms mode to allow proper timing of data transmission. How that affects the 12 is that in order to run 11ms data, two channels are lost and suddenly the 12 becomes a 10. It seems confusing but this is the way that it works. I would rather have had Spektrum make a 14 or 16 channels as 10 is just not enough for a large channel scale machine. In retrospect, I think I would have been better buying the voice activated DX18 as a backup to my non-voice DX18 and trust me, the voice would become the number one radio.

I think that the size of your projects should be the factor that determines the radio you buy next. I don't think that your DX9 is a bad radio, in fact it is a very good and solid radio, but for your needs, the switch somehow is in a precarious spot so is it a neck strap that turns it off or is it big fingers? A switch that has to be held down and then the operation confirmed by a second press may well be the answer like found on the NX10 and iX12. I have pointed out some things that are not in favour of the iX12 but others that show that it can be a top radio if you keep on top of things.

There currently is some code running in the latest update that is the root cause of the corrupt model issue now at the forefront of the problems. I think that it happens by accident but somehow the long operation of the radio trying to connect to a PC, WiFi network, or switching models back and forth to test, may be a trigger to the radio freezing. It seems that when the radio freezes and the battery is disconnected to facilitate a reboot there is a high chance of the Airware app hanging which then corrupts the model that was currently loaded in the app.

The first freeze, I lost one model only and had to rebind all the others but this last time, I lost them all. Backups are not an option, they are a requirement. This is as honest a report I can give you from my usage of the radio over three years (I bought it nine days short of three years ago today). I have not given up on the radio like some did but it has its challenges. The DX9, while good, still is not as versatile as the iX12 is. I have barely scratched the surface of the iX series of radios. I hope this is useful.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2021, 07:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got my ix 12 a year ago and like it.

Yes battery life is like but as started before turn off your wifi and durable the unneeded youtube and facebook and the other useless apps.

Use sleep mode then it will spring back within seconds of hitting the button.

I never had a problem with the volume being too low.
Maybe that was the benefit of waiting a while for the bugs to be fixed.

I would love a ix 20 but I'm not spending that kind of money for a radio.
Old 03-10-2021, 05:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't own anything Spektrum at the moment.

It is my understanding that most if not all the DX radios will be discontinued and replaced by the newer generation NX radios. It is my understanding that a concern with the iX series is potential built-in obsolescence due to the Android based operating system. A common complaint I've read in several threads specific to the iX 12 is an initial boot up time of around 2 minutes which some folks find annoying, but other folks don't seem to mind too much.
Old 03-10-2021, 07:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

My own feeling about the Android system is that it is a solid but slow OS that is backed up permanently on the radio's sub system, much like most laptops. It will never need upgrading and as slow as it is, compared to today's current versions, it is very bug free.

The iX20 is a vast improvement but it comes at a higher cost. In a month or so, I will be taking that step as I got bitten with the upgrade bug and miss the extra channels for my scale builds. I did get a bit upset when I had the dreaded corrupt model issue hit me twice but I got my head back on straight and I am going flying later this morning. I have had a few moments over the past three years with the iX12 but I don't regret it for a minute. Take care.

Don
Old 03-10-2021, 09:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

thought better of my comment
XL Power Specter 700
fiddle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2021, 10:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Your already used to the programming in the dx9 so I would get the NX series,they are very similar programming wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xxxntwv is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2021, 04:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Never had a single issue with my iX12 had it for almost 2 years now.
Old 03-12-2021, 04:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well it seams people either like it or hate it. I have had mine for about 2 years and it has been fine for me, When I first got it it froze on me. I took the battery out re-installed it and it has been fine every since. I like the touch screen for programing, adjusting and selecting different models to fly. Just like my phone the more apps you install the more problems I could see you would have. I use apps that are for helicopters and RC. I don't e-mail or post on face book with it. Also just like my phone I don't turn it off between calls. I get to the field, pull it out and turn it on. By the time I have unloaded it's up and running. I put it in sleep mode between flights and turn it off when I am ready to leave the field. I think there are 5 or six members of my club that have them and I haven't heard anyone complain about them. Maybe I am just lucky..
Old 03-29-2021, 02:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I own both DX9 and IX12 .
DX9 is a good radio but IX12 is a great radio .
IX12 could has a better processor ? YES .
But it has great qualities that overcome the small lack that a better processor would have.
PetyaHawk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2021, 05:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your replies. Giving me some good information and things to think about. 🙂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mysterious is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2021, 01:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
DX9 is a good radio but IX12 is a great radio .
But it has great qualities that overcome the small lack that a better processor would have.
I will paraphrase:
DX9 is a great radio but IX12 is a bad radio .
IX12 could also use a version of Android that wasn't 5 years old when it was 1st released and can't be upgraded to a newer version.

But while it had great potential that was overcome the tragic lack that a better processor / OS / AirWare would have. Now, it has a piss-poor reputation as a failed product.
Old 03-31-2021, 06:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticedoff8 View Post
I will paraphrase:
DX9 is a great radio but IX12 is a bad radio .
IX12 could also use a version of Android that wasn't 5 years old when it was 1st released and can't be upgraded to a newer version.

But while it had great potential that was overcome the tragic lack that a better processor / OS / AirWare would have. Now, it has a piss-poor reputation as a failed product.
You forgot to mention the updates that caused the radio to crash spontaneously pushed out just before the last flying season. You know, the one that couldn’t be rolled back, and no fix for the majority of season... Gotta love a radio that crashes, even if you ‘still have control’

...But there’s always someone who says they love it...
Old 03-31-2021, 09:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Jim and ticed,

Can you two please move on? Your rhetoric is becoming very irritating. You're not being helpful.

Don

PS: You should also leave your condescending remarks at the door.
Old 03-31-2021, 11:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry Don, but be honest; are you 100% happy with your iX12? Of the long list of issues past and ongoing, doesn’t it bother you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
Robert Lemon, from Spektrum, released an update to correct an issue where a disconnection of the battery could/would cause the model loaded at the time of the battery being disconnected, to become corrupted and possibly corrupting the rest of the model files. Even if you have not had any corrupted models or that type of issue, he recommends that this update be installed. I had a corrupted model, once with and once without, happen and on the second instance, all models were lost. I had a days old backup so nothing lost but I now have to slowly rebind all my models, sigh. Take care.

Don
Old 03-31-2021, 11:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Can you two please move on? Your rhetoric is becoming very irritating. You're not being helpful.
On the contrary, I believe providing the real life issues on any product as opposed to a single theme of "its all good" is quite valuable.
While there's no such thing as the "perfect" product, there are products that are half-baked but pulled out of the oven and just never get done. Then we are still expected to rejoice that (at least) we got something for our $600 purchase.
The question at the top of this thread was "ix12 - anybody like it?".
Someone asked me what I think. I told them my honest opinion.
cyclo likes this.
Old 04-01-2021, 05:15 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
Jim and ticed,

On the contrary. They are both current or former owners of said radio. OP asked if anyone liked the radio. They don't. Their opinions are perfectly relevant and, I'm sure, helpful to some though you may not agree with them.
cyclo likes this.
XL Power Specter 700
fiddle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2021, 08:58 AM   #20 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Honestly, no, the list of irritants does not bother me but there might have been a bit more thorough testing done. Since this radio deals with an underlying operating system, no two people have the exact same setup so one update not done may affect how the Airware code operates. Microsoft and Apple are in the same boat that maybe one extra program loaded might be the one that crashes their system. Not every situation comes up during Beta testing.

Don

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in