Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > FrSky

FrSky FrSky product discussion.

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2021, 04:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Upgrading X10S ACCST to ACCESS using ISRM module

Iím awaiting an ISRM module to be shipped to me so that I can remove my X10Sís iXJT ACCST module and replace it with the ISRM ACCESS one.

https://www.horusrc.com/en/frsky-hor...odule-new.html

After I physically install it, to upgrade the firmware I know I need to use the X10 Express ISRM firmware. But what about OpenTX? Do I need to reinstall OpenTX and tell it that I am using an X10 Express? Or is OpenTX smart enough to just start recognizing the new RF board and start giving me the additional protocol options?

**Update: Jump to post #10 for instructions.**
Helique likes this.

Last edited by xoexoe; 03-26-2021 at 07:44 PM..
xoexoe is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2021, 10:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Please keep us informed of your progress. I am interested to see how it works out.
Helique and xoexoe like this.
Hydros27 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2021, 11:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, please keep us informed. I was considering buying an ACCST version to convert but I was watching a YouTube video on an upgrade and he had to solder in a chip of some kind. Looked very delicate and scared me off.
Helique is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2021, 11:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

That chip was the PARA board, not something I will be doing at all.

I think I know the video youíre referencing. Jump to the last minute or so. Thatís where the RF board is replaced. Looks like just unplug and replug.

If Horus RC ever ships it, or if AloftHobbies gets it in stock soon and feel impatient enough to place another order, I will definitely update the thread.

Horus X10/S ACCESS Upgrade Kit (How-To Guide) (6 min 22 sec)
Old 03-17-2021, 12:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoexoe View Post
That chip was the PARA board, not something I will be doing at all.

I think I know the video youíre referencing. Jump to the last minute or so. Thatís where the RF board is replaced. Looks like just unplug and replug.

If Horus RC ever ships it, or if AloftHobbies gets it in stock soon and feel impatient enough to place another order, I will definitely update the thread.

https://youtu.be/uJoBefn2XVQ
Yes that is the video that I saw... thanks for the clarification. Please keep us informed
Old 03-17-2021, 12:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did you call Aloft to see if they have one in stock? I think they have them, but don't list them on their website.
Old 03-17-2021, 03:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydros27 View Post
Did you call Aloft to see if they have one in stock? I think they have them, but don't list them on their website.

I emailed aloft last week and that is exactly what they indicated, they have them but the product isnít listed. I responded asking if I could order it anyway without a website listing and didnít hear anything. Guess Iím not special enough. No worries though. There is progress on my HorusRC shipment. Maybe late next week Iíll have it in hand.
AtTheCross likes this.
Old 03-19-2021, 09:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't think Aloft likes the upgrade board and they are hesitant to sell them. I inquired last year and they recommended selling my transmitter and purchasing an Express.
Old 03-21-2021, 12:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
....they recommended selling my transmitter and purchasing an Express.
After all, they are in business to make money. Iím hoping there will be a wave of Expressí in the Classifieds, once the X20 starts shipping.
Old 03-26-2021, 07:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I successfully upgraded my X10S ACCST to ACCESS using the stand alone ISRM board! And it seems to work with my new Archer RS, including OTA receiver firmware updates.

I wrote down the steps I went through to update my Horus X10S ACCST to ACCESS.

1. Purchase the module at https://www.horusrc.com/en/frsky-hor...odule-new.html or at ALoftHobbies using https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-x10s-...rf-module.html

2. Backup OpenTX models & SD card contents just in case.

3. Open up the back of the Horus (4 screws on back) and replace the iXJT with the ISRM module. For instructions you can look at the last 1 minute of the video at https://youtu.be/uJoBefn2XVQ?t=319 but honestly if you just had the board and no video you could figure it out. The hardest part was being confident enough to lift/torque the 3 antennas without breaking them. The board itself, however, just pulls up and detaches. Very easy. Unplugging and replacing the RF board was the fastest part of this whole process.

4. Update your computerís OpenTX Companion to the latest version.

5. Update the OpenTX operating system on the transmitter to the latest version, making sure to select the "internalaccess" build option before downloading and installing. This is important because it tells OpenTX that youíre using the special ISRM board which allows all the special ACCESS receiver options to become available on your Models page. This build option along with all the others can be accessed from the main Companion software with the big gear icon at the top of the window. When flashing firmware, I still chose the original X10S transmitter option within Companion, not the Express version. Actually at no point did I have to fool anything into thinking I had an Express.

6. If necessary, update the Horusís SD card contents to the current version of OpenTX. Might not be necessary if you're just reinstalling the same version of OpenTX but with internalaccess checked.

7. Update firmware of the ISRM module by going to https://www.frsky-rc.com/product/acc...-kit-x10-x10s/ and following the download link

8. If necessary, update firmware of any receivers.

That's it!

I could still connect to my old ACCST receivers by selecting the D16 option. Of course ACCESS works too. Using my new Archer RS receivers, I needed to (a) register the receiver to the TX, (b) bind the RX to the OpenTX model, and finally (c) flash the newest firmware using OTA. Use the little paper manual that comes with the RX if this is new to you.

(This part here is specific to Brain2.) I was already running F.Port on my X4R-SB, so switching over to Archer RS was pretty smooth. I unplugged the X4R-SB and just plugged in my already-bound Archer RS in. The only modification I had to make was within the Options of the receiver (via my TX). By default the F.Port2 protocol is selected, so after changing that to regular ol' F.Port everything started working just fine. All channels seemed to work. If F.Port is new to you, be sure to select the new RX protocol in Brain2, and be prepared to change channel order in the Brain2 advanced minute.
MeekaMoMo, BELL SKY and Helique like this.

Last edited by xoexoe; 03-28-2021 at 11:59 AM..
Old 03-26-2021, 07:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I don't think Aloft likes the upgrade board and they are hesitant to sell them. I inquired last year and they recommended selling my transmitter and purchasing an Express.
They FINALLY got back to me a couple days ago. Aloft said they were willing to sell me any of the update. They asked which particular boards (PARA/ISRM/both) I wanted then said they'd get back to me with a price quote. I take this response to mean they are new to that process for the update boards. I didn't respond so I don't know their prices.

If anyone wants a US dealer, try Aloft.
Helique likes this.
Old 03-27-2021, 01:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good work on the conversion.

What happened when F.Port 2.0 was used with the Brain2? I was hoping F.Port 2.0 would be compatible with Brain2. I have a heli that uses a Neuron ESC for telemetry. Being able to daisy chain with F.Port 2.0 would be perfect.
Helique likes this.
Old 03-27-2021, 02:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

When the RS was set to F.Port2 there was no response from Brain2 as if it didnít see 0 throttle or didnít see any signal at all. I donít know enough about the LED status lights on the FBL to know which is the case and I didnít hook it up to the computer to investigate. But when I switched to regular F.Port the heli immediately did the 4 collective pitch pumps.

Maybe itís compatible and I donít have some settings right... I donít know. I can poke around later in the week. For now Iím happy with F.Port.
Hydros27 and Helique like this.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:49 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoexoe View Post
They FINALLY got back to me a couple days ago. Aloft said they were willing to sell me any of the update. They asked which particular boards (PARA/ISRM/both) I wanted then said they'd get back to me with a price quote. I take this response to mean they are new to that process for the update boards. I didn't respond so I don't know their prices.

If anyone wants a US dealer, try Aloft.
Aloft recently added the upgrade module to their website. https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-x10s-...rf-module.html
Helique and xoexoe like this.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

you gonna try ETHOS now?
1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
AtTheCross is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2021, 10:42 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great job and thanks for keeping us informed!
One question: On the Aloft website it states ďIt will require an additional antenna for the X10 radios, do not use it with out an antenna attached to each of the 3 antenna locations.Ē
You didnít mention having to add an antenna so Iím assuming this is specifically for the X10 and not the X10S?
Thanks
Old 03-28-2021, 11:22 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Aloft recently added the upgrade module to their website. https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-x10s-...rf-module.html

Ah cool! Decent price too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheCross View Post
you gonna try ETHOS now?

Not now, but in the future Iíll consider into it. I want to let it mature, meaning let everyone else work out the bugs. Also itíll have to work with the Brain2 OpenTX integration script for me to switch. No idea if that will be the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helique View Post
Great job and thanks for keeping us informed!

One question: On the Aloft website it states ďIt will require an additional antenna for the X10 radios, do not use it with out an antenna attached to each of the 3 antenna locations.Ē

You didnít mention having to add an antenna so Iím assuming this is specifically for the X10 and not the X10S?

Thanks

I had 3 antennas already on my X10S. I know that the older X12 only has 2, so maybe they actually meant the X12. Iíd be surprised if the X10 and X10S differed in antenna.

Last edited by xoexoe; 03-28-2021 at 12:20 PM..
Old 04-06-2021, 09:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thank You

Just wanted to say thank you. I read everything in this thread and was encouraged to update my Horus 10s. Aloft Hobbies provided the ISRM board. It was a very easy install. Flew two airplanes and a Trex 470 today with no problems. Looking forward to many more flights.
xoexoe likes this.
Alpine Flyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2021, 08:12 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Glad it helped out, Alpine.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:30 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the great info! Iím curious as to how you guys dealt with the yellow glop holding the antennas to the board, and did you replace it with something on the new board? Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in