Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Mikado V-BAR

Mikado V-BAR Mikado V-Stabi/V-BAR Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jhamel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2021, 07:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default VBar software for MacOS incompatible

Well... this is less than ideal. Looks like apple discontinued legacy system extension .kext and my OS is incompatible. I haven't needed to use it for a while as my heli's were up and running fine but I need to do a full re-configure of my Gaui x3.

link: https://www.vstabi.info/en/node/2353

I do not have Vstabi on my PC as I had to do a hard reset about a year ago, so I went in for a fresh install and saw the drivers weren't compatible with my version of MacOS..

Anyone found an easy workaround that doesn't involve a partitioned windows OS? Running Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7 on a MacBook mid 2012 model.

Let me know if anyone has a work around please

Edit: Yes I know this PC is old as F. I've upgraded all the parts aside from the motherboard and she works like a dream still.
Tek18x is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2021, 12:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Unfortunately there are no workaround except to use Windows in a partition. Not a problem from Mikado but rather Apple that changed the OS that killed many older devices.
Old hand at Planks
Peter
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2021, 12:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinger View Post
Unfortunately there are no workaround except to use Windows in a partition. Not a problem from Mikado but rather Apple that changed the OS that killed many older devices.
I understand. I was afraid of that.

Debating between grabbing a cheapo $200 laptop, building a decent rig, or just grabbing a VControl at this point.
Tek18x is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2021, 05:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not a mac user -- linux instead.. but you can get a free version of windows (legally) and run in a VM (or whatever mac equiv is).

I do this for some components I use in reef aquariums. It works perfectly fine.
Dopey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2021, 05:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopey View Post
Not a mac user -- linux instead.. but you can get a free version of windows (legally) and run in a VM (or whatever mac equiv is).

I do this for some components I use in reef aquariums. It works perfectly fine.
On the mac, I use Parallels. VERY nice virtualization software though it does cost money. I've not used it for anything with the hobby, however, i've used it at work for testing things.
XL Power Specter 700
fiddle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2021, 05:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

go full vcontrol and then never look back..

just get a used older vcontrol tx to start out with to save a couple bucks.
Old 03-19-2021, 08:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was disappointed with the native Mac OS to VBar incompatibility. It seems you still need to connect older VBar units, the original VBC radio, and Neo's (if no VBCT radio) to a computer for firmware updates and/or adjustments. You also may need to physically connect older Neo's to a computer in order to update the firmware past a certain FW version for eventual wireless Neo FW update with the VBCT radio. However, assuming one has a (1) VBCT radio, (2) a Neo with preinstalled later FW, and (3) wireless internet connection, physical connection to a computer is a thing of the past.
Tek18x likes this.
Amain Field Representative
jhamel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2021, 09:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddle View Post
On the mac, I use Parallels. VERY nice virtualization software though it does cost money.
YES => perfect solution i am using too... Windows 10 under Parallels for tools available on Win only and older OS X VM's for things with compatibility issues (i've been using i.e. legacy VBar software like that in the past). perfect solution. just put a VM aside whenever hopping to the next major OS version... and you're safe. much better than a Win partition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinger View Post
Not a problem from Mikado but rather Apple that changed the OS that killed many older devices.
i fully disagree software development & support is a continuing process of adopting to new OS updates/upgrades and driver models (btw: the new SiLabs drivers are available for Big Sur too since months)... others are doing it too.

i.e. Spirit is available on newest macOS Big Sur too... and even on the new M1 platform. it's a lack of support by Mikado... there even is no complete build of the current software (only old build plus a patch). they simply decided to reduce support for other platforms than VBCt (which is their good right! but it must be clearly said too!).

Ciao
Michael

Last edited by Rabid121; 03-19-2021 at 09:28 AM..
Rabid121 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in