Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2021, 05:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default AS3X, SAFE, and JR X9303?

I know this is not a heli question, but maybe someone here can help me out.
I'm wondering whether the AR631 receiver with AS3X and SAFE in the E-flite T-28 would work with my JR X9303 DSMX radio. I understand that I won't have telemetry, of course, but does the stabilization and SAFE mode work? A friend of mine already offered to use his iX12 radio's forward-programming feature to set up the unit. Once I then bind to my JR radio, am I good to go?

Thanks!
getsuyoubi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2021, 07:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The stabilization (AS3X and SAFE) is configured within the receiver and then the receiver handles it.

Fundamentally, all of the new Spektrum receivers work the same way as the old ones with AS3X do, where there's a configuration stored in the receiver and the receiver does the work itself. The AR636 is a great example of that concept. The big difference is how you configure them. The AR636 used a USB cable and PC software. The new ones use "Forward Programming", which means that screens on your transmitter allow you to access the configuration. However, for the receiver programming, the transmitter is just a screen and a keyboard if you will - nothing about the receiver's configuration is being stored in the transmitter. When you first set up the receiver, the transmitter can give the receiver some basics about servo direction and travel, and wing/tail type, but that's just a one-time copy into the receiver's configuration.

Bottom line, setting up the receiver using an iX12 and then using a different transmitter after that should work fine. I'd make sure the TX settings I just mentioned (servo setup, wing/tail type) match what was in the iX12. The switch for changing receiver flight modes just sends over +100%, 0%, or -100% on a designated channel in the setup.

Last edited by flightengr; 04-06-2021 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: Added "old ones with AS3X". Of course, not all receivers needed programming.
flightengr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2021, 07:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thank you! That's what I figured, but I wanted to make sure before I order the plane.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you're ordering BNF then you may not even need the iX12. The receiver should come preset from the factory, and then you can just follow the (brief) guidance in the manual for the transmitter setup.

The only thing that won't be preset from the factory would be the channel to use for the SAFE Select on/off switch. You can do that over the air with any transmitter; you don't need Forward Programming for that. The manual explains how to do it. The biggest thing the manuals fail to mention is that your transmitter must be on high rates (100%) when you do the special stick movement to start the process. If you have low rates active at the time, it won't work.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you, that's what I needed to hear!
Old 04-06-2021, 01:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Bottom line, setting up the receiver using an iX12 and then using a different transmitter after that should work fine. I'd make sure the TX settings I just mentioned (servo setup, wing/tail type) match what was in the iX12. The switch for changing receiver flight modes just sends over +100%, 0%, or -100% on a designated channel in the setup.
Can you still use the USB Update / Programming cable and the PC software on the new receivers too? Or, do they require a Spektrum DX / NX / iX transmitter to set them up?
ticedoff8 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2021, 01:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My understanding is that they can only be "forward-programmed" using one of the new radios.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

All you can do with the USB cable is update the firmware.

HH tells us that someday we'll be able to load a model from a file onto the receiver or copy the model in the receiver to a file for backup, but it hasn't happened yet.

There are no plans to let you use any PC software to edit the model settings. Forward Programming is it.
Old 04-12-2021, 02:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Hint. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsuyoubi View Post
I know this is not a heli question, but maybe someone here can help me out.
I'm wondering whether the AR631 receiver with AS3X and SAFE in the E-flite T-28 would work with my JR X9303 DSMX radio. I understand that I won't have telemetry, of course, but does the stabilization and SAFE mode work? A friend of mine already offered to use his iX12 radio's forward-programming feature to set up the unit. Once I then bind to my JR radio, am I good to go?

Thanks!
Keep in mind that the Rx holds all of the AS3X/SAFE data. Thus, if you take an Rx out of one model and put it into another. It must be reprogrammed for the new model. IE: removing it from a fixed wing "nose" gear to a fixed wing tail dragger....etc.
Skywagon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in