Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2021, 09:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Default Blade 230S Smart BnF

Hi guys,

It's been a while since I posted in this area as I have not been flying my little fleet of 230S'. That changed today as I bought the 230S Smart for my collection of the Blade CP family. What grabbed my attention was the FC6250MHX flight controller and the ability to get telemetry data from the ESC and FC. What I was not expecting was motor current and RPM, which I was pleasantly surprised to find as I had not previously downloaded the manual.

Honestly, I have had one full battery hovering indoors but compared to the standard 230S, it is a little more stable. I set it up right according to the manual in my iX12 and aside from needing to move the battery quite a bit forward to balance it, I did nothing to most of the settings except to lower the top RPM down to 92% rather than 100% and to lower the Expo in Normal to 70% rather than 100%. For those that have transmitters with telemetry readouts, the gear ratio is 11.67:1 and the pole count that I used was 6. No, I don't know the correct pole count but it worked for me and at 92% throttle gave me around 3200rpm. At 65%, it is around 2100rpm which is a nice quiet setting for indoor hover practice.

I have done no changes to any Forward Programming settings, nor any AS3X setting changes. I hope to make it out to the field tomorrow and give it a good thrashing. I bought the BnF version as I didn't need another DXe type transmitter nor the little Smart Charger. I went for two of the G2 850's and the S1200 Smart Charger which I updated the firmware to be able to charge and program the G2 batteries. I had the USB programming cable for my iSDT chargers and it worked to upgrade the S1200. I set the batteries for 3.78v discharge threshold, 48hrs. to self discharge, and 1.2A current for charging. I updated the Smart Checker but for some reason, I cannot enter the battery setting menu or I have not found out where it is. It was also updated via the USB to Micro USB cable and it indicated a full and successful upgrade. Who knows???

All in all, I am happy with the setup and will start to play around with it tomorrow as soon as I get to the field. Of course, a maiden of a 700 size scale helicopter might take precedence, lol. Hope this helps.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG 190640.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	912703   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG 203351.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	912705   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG 203403.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	912707   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG 203737.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	912709   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG 203556.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	912711  

Name:	IMG 203444.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	912713   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG 203611.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	912715   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG 203818.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	912717  
The_Fox likes this.

Last edited by Keyrigger; 04-12-2021 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: Added pictures
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2021, 10:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for reporting, and thanks for the information about gear ratio and poles. There are some users in geman forum wondering what to set up for rpm telemetry.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi,

Just so you know, the gear ratio is actual as I counted the teeth on one quarter of the main gear but the pole count is the best test I got from three different attempts at seeing what the rpm range was. It will never hurt anything from getting the pole count wrong but if it is, then the reported rpm will not be correct. I know the rpm range is fairly high with this helicopter but maybe I will try to get a reading from my tachometer and then report if I got it right or not. Who knows, that could have been a very lucky guess, lol. Take care.

Don
Old 04-11-2021, 12:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5955a-700.jpg
Views:	678
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	912629  
Me_How is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2021, 11:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

So what does that have to do with my post? Care to elaborate?

Don
Old 04-12-2021, 12:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

The pole count is 6
Me_How is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2021, 07:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Just to be pedantic...

You counted wrongly. On the 230S-V2, the stock main gear has 140 teeth (not 136). The gear ratio with the stock 12 tooth pinion is 140/12 == 11.66667
The_Fox likes this.
ridge-runner is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2021, 01:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Thanks, corrected. I didn't have a gear out of the helicopter handy to verify. Time to change the radio setting. At least the pole count was ok. Take care.

Don
The_Fox likes this.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post

one full battery hovering indoors

Don
My mind's blown. I got the 230 s smart as my first heli about a month ago. I've learned to go full battery packs without crashing but this has been outside in empty ball fields.

Kudos.
bazookateur is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2021, 09:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

The only place I can fly is in the bedroom. My flying space is the size of the queen size bed. My wife understands about needing even a bit of practice once or twice a week. She's a keeper.

Don
Old 04-24-2021, 09:06 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello all!

Just getting back into heli's after quite a while (blame it on DJI!!!). I just picked up an NX8 and a 230 S Smart - also still have my 130 S and a couple of Nano 2's.

Couple of questions, if you all don't mind.

1/ On the 230, there is a small loose black plug, connected to a yellow wire at the back, looped through the ferrite ring. What is this for?

2/ This telemetry stuff is all new to me, so would someone be kind enough to point me to a good read about the basics, particularly with regards Spektrum radios?

Many thanks, and stay safe!
Old 04-24-2021, 05:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Hi,

That yellow wire is like your appendix, it used to do something but no longer does. It was the tail gain wire when it was installed in the 230S V1 and V2. Don't plug it in to anything. If you go to Horizon or Spektrum, they can point you to videos on YouTube that help with the setup of telemetry. I would let the install go on its own and worry about flying first as things like telemetry become points of distraction and you think you are having trouble when you are not. Once you are past the basics of flying, then worry about setup of the remaining telemetry items that can be made functional. Bind it and have fun.

Don
Old 04-24-2021, 07:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hi,

That yellow wire is like your appendix, it used to do something but no longer does. It was the tail gain wire when it was installed in the 230S V1 and V2. Don't plug it in to anything. If you go to Horizon or Spektrum, they can point you to videos on YouTube that help with the setup of telemetry. I would let the install go on its own and worry about flying first as things like telemetry become points of distraction and you think you are having trouble when you are not. Once you are past the basics of flying, then worry about setup of the remaining telemetry items that can be made functional. Bind it and have fun.

Don
Thanks for that, Don. I have actually been looking at and playing around with the telemetry settings, and I can see how this could turn out to be a distraction. Might be beneficial for just reviewing parameters AFTER a flight.

I had the heli up for the first time, with my NX8 setup as per the user manual, this afternoon. Unfortunately, I noticed quite a bit of tail wag. It appeared just not to be holding. Any thoughts?
Old 04-24-2021, 09:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Hi,

The 230 does have a tendency to wag with gain settings that are a bit too high. Using Forward Programming, you can go in and reduce the "P" gain on the tail. This will take a lot of getting used to as in previous models, you would have the "Gain" as a setting that you could decrease or increase even while you flew. With Forward Programming, you must land, flip the throttle hold on, and then enter the Forward Programming feature to make those changes. Take your time and even for the time being, leave it as is because once you get to forward flight, the gains that seem to be too much now, may be just right for fast flight. Hope this helps.

Don
StubbornSwiss likes this.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:37 AM   #15 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Our club was finally allowed to open (on city parks and recreation land) and yesterday I finally got to try this outdoors. I am pleased with its aerobatic capability and did many loops, rolls, backflips, and candlesticks. It's fun to fly and will do what ever you want but when you are doing big air maneuvers, it gets small very fast, lol. I may well leave this one in the car along with my Heli-Baby. As well as a maiden, it was also a maiden for my iX20 transmitter. What an absurd combination. Take care.

Don

PS: I have not even set any audio warnings of any sort yet. Maybe today.
Old 05-27-2021, 11:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

I put a few more flights on it today and on Wednesday and relearned one tip from Horizon again. The average pilot thinks that everything must be tied down tight as you can get it but with the 230S series, if you tighten down the battery a LOT, weird and wonderful things can happen. The tail on mine was pulsing quite a bit on the first flight on Wednesday so when I pulled the battery from it, I noticed that I had nearly strangled the battery with the strap. The second flight was way better and today, it behaved itself very nicely. I can do flips, rolls, loops, and a few more F3C type maneuvers and honestly, this helicopter handles them like it was kid's play. It is far more capable of 3D than I am and given lots of time to really tune it perfectly, a top rated pilot could make this helicopter dance like a ballerina. I have a lot of fun with this and it takes the edge off of flying larger helicopters, sort of like getting your feet wet before jumping into a cold lake. Take care.

Don
Old 06-12-2021, 05:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Multiple Choice Question

Quote:
The only place I can fly is in the bedroom. My flying space is the size of the queen size bed. My wife understands about needing even a bit of practice once or twice a week. She's a keeper.

Don
MULTIPLE CHOICE QUESTION
"She's a keeper" refers to:
A The wife
B The bed
C The Blade 230S Smart
D All of the above

No offence intended and none taken, I trust. Reading Keyriggers post was the first thing to make me laugh today.

To be serious for a moment I agree with Keyriggers statement in post #12 that Telemetry could be a distractor and for me telemetry would not be sufficient reason for buying a new Smart 230S instead of sourcing a pre-loved 230S V2. Checking the Owner Manuals for the two helis I can see that the Smart version has different servos, and the V2 Brushless ESC/Replacement Receiver are replaced in the Smart 230S with a "upgraded" Flight Controller and Brushless ESC.
Is there a consensus of opinion (excluding the financial aspect) on whether the "upgraded" parts in the Smart version has a significant effect on the stability and durability of the heli to justify buying a new Smart heli as opposed to a pre-loved V2?
I am very much a sport flyer and am considering the 230S as an entry into scale heli flying since there are commercially available scale bodies for the 230S.
Any information gratefully received.

Last edited by tony#1; 06-12-2021 at 08:45 PM..
tony#1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2021, 06:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

The bed is in need of replacement. The rest stays.

I have a V1 230S and never found a reasonably priced local 230S V2 for sale or I would have that as well. I find the slow initial spool up of the Smart a very good selling point for this model. Never mind the excellent gyro as the 636 with the V2 programming was very good at its job as was the V1 but not as good as the V2. Is it worth it? If you have the spare coin and only need the one helicopter, you can still split up the V2 except for all parts that are interchangeable between the two. I like how the Smart handles, I did set it up to give me voice battery level call-outs and I am averaging 8 minutes with 35% remaining when no one is waiting to go up. I have not looked into programming of the ESC yet and there is not much that I would want to monkey with. It's pretty solid just as it is. I have a V2 frame for my V1 but I am not changing it just for the sake of doing so. I have a second V1 that always needed the upgrade but I was too lazy to do so and it IS in a comical body based on the Huey. One day. Hope this helps.

Don
Old 06-12-2021, 11:18 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wondering why anyone would be concerned about "telemetry" on a 230? That's like a radar detector on a Yugo. Just FLY the thing!!!
JohnCl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2021, 02:54 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCl View Post
Wondering why anyone would be concerned about "telemetry" on a 230? That's like a radar detector on a Yugo. Just FLY the thing!!!
Agreed, JohnCL, telemetry is a distracter at best.
tony#1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in