Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Mikado V-BAR

Mikado V-BAR Mikado V-Stabi/V-BAR Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2020, 01:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Considering V-Bar with Spektrum Radio

I need a new fbl for my logo build, and I'm thinking of trying a V-Bar.
After reading the manual, it appears the only way to tune settings is by bringing my laptop to the field. Is this the truly case?
What's your experience with tuning the V-Bar without VControl?
Maybe I wouldn't need to tune much with a Logo if there are good presets for logos?
Thanks
Chris

iCharger, deep cycles, DX8 G2, AccuRC
CFerry is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2020, 01:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can get a bluetooth module for very cheap that allows you to tweak settings from a phone app. Nothing beats the Vcontrol though.
beeflyer2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2020, 01:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeflyer2 View Post
You can get a bluetooth module for very cheap that allows you to tweak settings from a phone app. Nothing beats the Vcontrol though.
Not with the Neo you cant. Mikado removed Bluetooth support when the Neo was introduced. refer to question 10 in the Neo FAQs: https://www.vstabi.info/en/node/1961

So yes, you have to use a laptop unless you have Vcontrol. Why Mikado did this backward step away from Bluetooth support is open to debate but i think they were trying to 'encourage' people to move to Vcontrol.

Mikado have made no secret that all of their development is going into their Vcontrol integrated solution. They dont plan on doing any further development of their 3rd party transmitter support.
Old 10-01-2020, 03:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

if you know vbar well, then generally it's not a hard job to setup the vbar on a new bird... it's more a question of the first ~10 flights (with pc) for trying different settings (some playing around can be done using different bank setups) and playing with the gains plus letting trim-flight & the head & tail optimisers do their job. and it is flying fantastic once tuned!

but - of course - full integration for setup, access to really all features of the fbl and live tuning etc makes live much easier..... especially if you are new to it and want to feel the impact of the different parameters... some clicks up, some clicks down in flight is great. but one can live without that for sure - just some more test-flights!

the huge difference for me comes later... when - after flight #27 - you have the idea that you maybe need a little higher/lower tail rotation speed or whatsoever. or just check vibration level in flight once in a while. or testing of new blades. if you always have your pc with you on the field then this will not be a problem... or if you have full integration like on your Dia

the 2nd huge difference is telemetry integration... depending on receiver & Esc used, this is not the strongest point in NEO-Spektrum-combos.

Ciao
Michael
Old 10-01-2020, 07:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys! I guess I have to decide if I want to give up the 'ease of parameter adjustment' that some brands offer with my Spektrum if I want to try V-Bar.
I'll likely either find a used Vx1e, since I have a data pod already or try V-Bar. I like trying new brands and honestly, once I get a heli flying pretty well, I don't really play with settings anyways.
I'll read up on the optimization feature. Sounds like this might take care of some of the tuning for me.

Old 10-02-2020, 02:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

... one thing is sure: once tuned the vbar Neo is flying extremely nice... and you do not have the real need to do much with programming later. just check logs sometimes to be sure about vibration warnings = bearing alarm

the optimizer helps tuning cyclic and tail performance... just needed for the first flights and is extremely helpful. the same with trim flight.

just get a used one... if you do not like it, it will be sold again within days... and you'll not loose much (if at all) but - if it is not for telemetry and integration as in my case - you will never again take a NEO out of your heli.

Last edited by Rabid121; 10-02-2020 at 06:14 AM..
Rabid121 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2020, 06:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFerry View Post
Thanks for the replies guys! I guess I have to decide if I want to give up the 'ease of parameter adjustment' that some brands offer with my Spektrum if I want to try V-Bar.
I'll likely either find a used Vx1e, since I have a data pod already or try V-Bar. I like trying new brands and honestly, once I get a heli flying pretty well, I don't really play with settings anyways.
I'll read up on the optimization feature. Sounds like this might take care of some of the tuning for me.
Careful. Once you get a VBAR NEO VLINK and a Vcontrol touch + a YGE or Scorpion ESC ... it will be all over for you. You will be wanting that combo in the rest of your HELIs Ask me how I know ...
ragge1 likes this.
XL Power Specter 700
fiddle is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2020, 07:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddle View Post
Careful. Once you get a VBAR NEO VLINK and a Vcontrol touch + a YGE or Scorpion ESC ... it will be all over for you. You will be wanting that combo in the rest of your HELIs Ask me how I know ...
Lol, I'm already in deep! Can't possibly get any worse, right?
Actually, my fear is I'll love it and then want VControl!
fiddle likes this.

Old 10-02-2020, 07:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid121 View Post
... one thing is sure: once tuned the vbar Neo is flying extremely nice... and you do not have the real need to do much with programming later. just check logs sometimes to be sure about vibration warnings = bearing alarm
Makes sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid121 View Post
just get a used one... if you do not like it, it will be sold again within days... and you'll not loose much (if at all) but - if it is not for telemetry and integration as in my case - you will never again take a NEO out of your heli.
Not much to lose, and I won't know till I try it.

Old 10-02-2020, 09:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

so... now, we are waiting for your experiences you will like it for sure!
Old 10-02-2020, 01:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh boy, don't hold your breath, I'm a really slow builder, lol.

But if I follow my own logic, I might as well just by it now. Looks like the upgrade to pro is pretty cheap, which would give me the optimizer.

Old 10-02-2020, 02:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I flew Ikon for years and switched early last year to V bar. I have both the legacy and neo V bars. I do fly them with a Futaba 8fg as I love the feel of the radio, have flown V control and just not a fan of the feel of the transmitter in my hands.

With that being said, all my tuning is done with the laptop. It isn't the most fun bringing the laptop to the field, but once the heli is setup and tuned how I like it there really isn't much more I'm going to mess with.

As for flying characteristics, I do prefer the V bar. It did take some getting used to though, that's for sure. It did take far less tuning to get it flying how I like than the Ikon did. Not downplaying the Ikon, but just my personal preference with how it flies. The V bar did feel more locked in and tracks better in big air flying right away. In my opinion, the cyclic has a more locked in feeling, but felt more fluid at the same time.
Rabid121 and CFerry like this.
Old 10-02-2020, 04:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFerry View Post
Oh boy, don't hold your breath, I'm a really slow builder, lol.

But if I follow my own logic, I might as well just by it now. Looks like the upgrade to pro is pretty cheap, which would give me the optimizer.
You know it is. I used to think that the NEO was expensive, but then I considered what you got versus what I was paying for spectrum + brain2:

NEO - $250 + $97 (USD) for pro-Rescue: $347
Brain2 - $165 + 4651t - $40 + 2x9745 - $70: $275

Its a bit more but not like I thought when initially looking at $165 compared to $347. Gotta put those receivers in there.

Then I thought the Vcontrol Touch was expensive ($1200 or $1325 if you want colors), but Futaba radios are up around there ($1000+). Jeti radios are around $1000 for the cheapest one if you unlock all the software on it ($550 base price I think). Spectrum really only has 2 decent radios - DX9 ($480) and IX20 ($1400) and some say the IX20 isn't decent.
XL Power Specter 700
Old 10-02-2020, 04:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Op does not want to bring laptop to the field. I think i'm the same way. Are the only transmitters that can adjust the gryo setting from the radio Mikado and Jeti? Thanks in advance
Ken Here is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2020, 04:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Here View Post
Op does not want to bring laptop to the field. I think i'm the same way. Are the only transmitters that can adjust the gryo setting from the radio Mikado and Jeti? Thanks in advance
Can Jeti integrate with VBAR? I've not heard that it can...
XL Power Specter 700
Old 10-02-2020, 04:54 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

oh, i was just wondering what options were out there for not needing a computer in the field. Mikado-Vbar and Jeti-spirit FBL are those the only options at the moment for TX to gyro adjustments?
Ken Here is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2020, 05:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Here View Post
oh, i was just wondering what options were out there for not needing a computer in the field. Mikado-Vbar and Jeti-spirit FBL are those the only options at the moment for TX to gyro adjustments?
No - you can also integrate Spectrum + brain2/ikon2 or Jeti + brain2/ikon2.
XL Power Specter 700
Old 10-02-2020, 05:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddle View Post
thats the exact combo I got , YGE 205 on K700 , Tribunus 130 on 6HV
Old 10-02-2020, 05:37 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragge1 View Post
thats the exact combo I got , YGE 205 on K700 , Tribunus 130 on 6HV
So far I only have YGE95LVT + VBAR NEO on Goblin 500 but I have an oxy5 meg with a YGE135LVT and an Oxy4 max that needs a YGE that need to get NEOs
XL Power Specter 700
Old 10-02-2020, 06:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a VBCt, eight Neo VLinks with Pro/Rescue, and one Neo receiver. I like how the Neo Vlink is both a FBL unit and a receiver in a compact package. I like how the VBCt radio and Neo VLink integrate 100%, so no need for a laptop. The VBCt radio has integrated WiFi, so I never have to connect it to a computer. The Neo VLink firmware also updates wirelessly, so I never have to connect it to a computer either.

As much as I am pretty happy with this system, I cannot recommend a Neo to someone who is not committed to also purchasing a VBC radio. With Spektrum radios, I consider both Spirit and/or Brain2/iKon2 better options as they offer integration and telemetry which you would not get with a Neo.
Rabid121 likes this.
Amain Field Representative
jhamel is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in