Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Hirobo Nitro Helicopters

Hirobo Nitro Helicopters Hirobo Freya Evo Eagle Helicopters Discussion

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By HedgeHeli
  • 2 Post By HedgeHeli
  • 1 Post By evolusia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2019, 01:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Shuttle Goes 3D

Well not quite yet but getting it there

Hirobo Shuttle 3D (5 min 46 sec)
Ah Clem and nismoflip like this.
HedgeHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2019, 02:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice flight. I seldom push mine that hard but it's nice to watch somebody else doing it.
BrokeDad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 04:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
Nice flight. I seldom push mine that hard but it's nice to watch somebody else doing it.
Ive got a sort of build/development log over on the UK site. Its a long story partially documented but in short I wanted to see if you could 3d a shuttle, when I google or search youtube there is not much if any info about it.

Its a fun project and I have plenty of upgrades to go yet, I am pretty sure I will be able to get this to quite a good level once ive finished - assuming I dont crash it too often.

Its funny there are always around 3-4 of these on ebay at any one time, plus a ton of parts. I wonder who is buying them and then when they do what do they do with them - not like they come here right?
Old 11-23-2019, 02:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi, where can I find your build log on the other site
evolusia is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2019, 08:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolusia View Post
Hi, where can I find your build log on the other site
Hey not sure how long this will last http:// www. rcheliaddict . co .uk/main-discussions/125322-hirobo-shuttle.html

Its winter here now so things will slow down, however I am in the process of converting to the SWM swash config, this is Hirobos version of CCPM. I will also be putting a more powerful motor in it. I am sure I will get a handful of flights in over winter but come spring I plan to try and get this fully set up and working as best as it can.

Cheers
Old 11-25-2019, 04:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeHeli View Post
Ive got a sort of build/development log over on the UK site. Its a long story partially documented but in short I wanted to see if you could 3d a shuttle, when I google or search youtube there is not much if any info about it.

Its a fun project and I have plenty of upgrades to go yet, I am pretty sure I will be able to get this to quite a good level once ive finished - assuming I dont crash it too often.

Its funny there are always around 3-4 of these on ebay at any one time, plus a ton of parts. I wonder who is buying them and then when they do what do they do with them - not like they come here right?
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it. ps. What length tail blades are you using and pps. If you're still using the the lightweight paddles then they're probably the cause of your porpoising.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolusia View Post
Quote:

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it. ps. What length tail blades are you using and pps. If you're still using the the lightweight paddles then they're probably the cause of your porpoising.
I have used both 77mm originals and 90mm align 550 blades. I find the originals drift so will be back on the 90mm.

I added some flybar stiffeners on my last flight and it flew much better but of course this means more weight so I completely agree around the paddle weight and will be playing with that over the coming months.

Hey also have a 4blade hirobo shuttle in a coast guard fuse and I am hoping that some of the learnings from this project will translate to making that fly better as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7F6E163B-728C-4551-93B0-5BDAE214A8B8_1574778670635.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	828039
Old 11-26-2019, 08:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm still flying the old woodies that came with mine. I do have some CF but have never put them on to try. I need to get it airborne soon as it's been sitting for a while. I've thought about modernizing it but each time decide I like it "classic".
BrokeDad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2019, 08:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
I'm still flying the old woodies that came with mine. I do have some CF but have never put them on to try. I need to get it airborne soon as it's been sitting for a while. I've thought about modernizing it but each time decide I like it "classic".
I know what you mean keep a few original RC Cars they just look right without all the modern stuff 🙂
Old 03-19-2020, 06:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Reposted from another site to hit a wider Hirobo owner group...

So I have the stock as dialed in as I am likely to get it, and I love it, its actually quite stress free to fly, a bit like a low head speed heli I guess. Obviously under-powered but in its comfort zone its a wonderful flying machine.

The 3D version is in the middle of an engine swap. I tried to get the Irvine 36 working but its struggling to hold a tune. Months ago when I was last testing I was unable to stop the engine by lowering throttle trim (or using an engine kill switch), I ahd thought at the time perhaps its like my buggy engines and has a screw keeping the carb open a mm or so - cmon this is an old engine! Anyhow no, turns out the way the carb is held on to the crank case the screws are loose and let in air. I tried to seal them with epoxy and while I can now stop the engine at low trim, in flight you hear it going lean and rich. So a quick ebay and I found what I hope to be a good OS 37 - enroute as I type. I always get on well with OS heli engines so hope this is no exception.

I have also made the decision to take the 3D flybarless. I want to get the power first then Ill make the swap. Its easy to say helis are no easier to fly than they used to be but it does not meet with my experience. I am comparing these two with my Logo 550 sx and quite simply in comparison the Logo flies itself. With FB you have to fly the sticks, there is no one input and off she goes, your constantly re-applying or correcting. Also - collective management. There is no need with todays helis for any form of collective management, miss-time something - no worries - bang the collective and your out of there, not so with this old OS32. Anyway I hope the 3D version with an OS37 performs like this, but the Stock OS32 you need to manage the collective all day long, every move.

Lastly I am not sure if this is a thing or not... I am not see fast servo speeds on the 3D version. Now its running a Spartan configured in FB mode and I am hoping that this has disabled the Servo speed aka Spartan Agility setting. We will see. But my Logo is running MK HV servos on Cyclic and the 3D Hirobo has DS 610s the difference in flip rate is insane the Logo flips like it Piros where as the 3D Hirobo is very slow in comparison.

Any how a quick wrap up of the Stock flying, I am no 3D masters contender and its a 9min flight so I dont expect you to get through it but if you do thank you...

Highlights
Start Flying @ 50secs
Loops @ 1:48 and 4:20
Continuous Flips @ 2:10 and 5:15 and 4:20
Inverted Circuits @ 3:00
Figure 8s @ 4:30 and 8:00
Funnels @ 4:55 and 7:20 note both times the tail blows out - combo of lack of power
Aileron Tick Tocks @ 5:50
Elevator Tick Tocks into Aileron TT @ 6:00
Inverted Punch out @ 6:50
Hands off hover @ 8:20

Hirobo Shuttle (stock) 2020 (10 min 9 sec)
MHN777 and Ah Clem like this.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very cool man!
Old 05-31-2020, 02:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Click image for larger version

Name:	BACA5A59-3E5A-4421-91ED-5EF9C4AA7B53_1590954029782.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	861369
Old 08-28-2020, 06:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am a happy Hirobo owner since this week. Got an amazing offer through another forum. It included a completely new Funkey MD-500E!

However, I also bought a second hand Logo 600 and I’m loving it to death. Logged 1,5 hours in two days since build up (always check everything someone else did!).

Still have to fly the Shuttle Plus with brushless conversion kit. Somehow I am afraid to fly that. Go figure..

Thanks for sharing your 3D video, good to see it can be flown sportingly. I am surprised by how much play there is in the head of the Shuttle..
Silence is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2020, 10:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Appreciate the sharing.
Was looking at the Shuttle Plus as a platform to learn flying inverted and reverse inverted circuits better after returning to sim and a stretched 450 heli after 8 years of staying away from helis.

I'm getting 4.5 -5.5 minutes on my 6S packs but I take about 2.5 minutes to calm myself down after I take off from each pack. So a larger heli would good flight duration will really help.
Hummingbird FP (sold) | MS Hornet 2 ( RIP) | Swift 16 (Retired) | Protos 500 (Sold) | Protos 500 (Sold) | Pheonixtech TT360 Beast X V3 (Sold) | Laheli MaxiR (Sold) | ARK "480" Plus (Failed) | Forza 450 Ex (Sold) | Blackangel CX450 DFC
MHN777 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2020, 11:29 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHN777 View Post
Appreciate the sharing.
Was looking at the Shuttle Plus as a platform to learn flying inverted and reverse inverted circuits better after returning to sim and a stretched 450 heli after 8 years of staying away from helis.

I'm getting 4.5 -5.5 minutes on my 6S packs but I take about 2.5 minutes to calm myself down after I take off from each pack. So a larger heli would good flight duration will really help.
Personally I am not sure this fits the bill in its stock format. Putting aside the Flybar, if set up absolutely perfectly the heli has around 18 degrees of pitch which equates to +- 9 degrees, add to this the standard OS32 engine and you have a heli that is a little bit (very) slow to react. Great for upright flight on fairly calm days but not so good when flipping the heli around as you dont have very much authority to escape from bad positions. Of course you can mitigate this by height - flying higher - but you will still be flying a fairly slow to react heli.
Old 03-11-2021, 09:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great video! I really enjoyed that!

Great flying of a classic machine!
Old 09-11-2021, 08:56 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi, not wanting to hijack this thread but being an avid Shuttle fan I thought I would add another video of what the old girl can do in competent hands. Not mine though.

https://www.facebook.com/kristian.ma...57270993281619
Ah Clem likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in