Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > BeastX FBL System

BeastX FBL System BeastX FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2021, 02:35 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Getting some old electronic components to practice on is a great idea - it is very much one of those things where practice does make perfect and it doesn't actually take long to become reasonably proficient.

Providing you have the right equipment, the job that you were tackling shouldn't be too much of a challenge once you have gained confidence through practising on a few old boards/components. One piece of kit that I would absolutely recommend for that type of work is a large free-standing magnifying glass - preferably on an adjustable goose neck like the old fashioned desk lamps.

Like flying helis, it soon comes with practice and then you will be looking for things to solder!
Beserkr likes this.
Cyclone7 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2021, 04:32 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Cheap one will do. Can get them for about a fiver from amazon, delivered.

Understandably got excited, and had a bash, for the fun of it, with your new tool, but testing what you had prior, and some planning, and waiting for your solder sucker would have paid dividends. Posting up some questions, and pictures could have helped too, before having a go, but hey, it's done now, though still maybe all is not lost?

I would struggle with the size, because I have terribly shaky hands, though somehow I managed to make a couple. I have ways and means to over come, but when the tip of your soldering iron moves around by half an inch or more, free hand, I'd have no chance, without some tricks.

For what it's worth, here is a thread with my small soldering attempts on the first one I made.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=277204

EDIT: It's actually smaller than I remember, looking at the size of the servo connector end. Not really sure how I did it, lol. Still in my 450 though, and going strong.
Cyclone7 and Beserkr like this.
sutty is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2021, 10:28 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I'm usually more patient and careful (doing it right has been my mantra since starting this hobby) but yeah, the excitement got the better of me this time. I know better!

Once my solder sucker, multimeter and magnifier arrive I'll get some practice in. Quite conveniently I have an old PC I was just about to throw out; the motherboard should be perfect for this. I'll then see if I can salvage the fruits of my hubris

Thanks again to both of you. I look forward to the day I can help you in some way...

Trex 550X | Blade 400 '3DX' | OMP M2 | Blade 150S
DX9
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjxIBBszfXNcHtNCM7dbELg
Beserkr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2021, 11:47 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

We've all been there mate - one way or another!

Just out of interest, what soldering station did you buy? - I have just recently been looking around at what's available/recommended, as most of my soldering equipment is getting a bit long in the tooth now.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:14 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Me more than most I suspect

I got this one.

It's cheap and cheerful (typically it's on offer now after I've bought it!). 60W with a ceramic element - the main reasons I went for it.
Although I take Amazon reviews with a pinch of NaCl, I figured it would be a decent-enough option with over 92% of 3,300 ratings at least 4-star...

DX9
Old 05-04-2021, 01:04 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ah OK - I have been considering a couple around the 40-50 mark too. I simply don't do enough soldering to justify 100+ on a Hakko and especially not, after having just splashed out on the NX8!
Old 05-04-2021, 01:23 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My thoughts also. Always tricky isn't it, when you have to balance frequency of use against cost and quality.
Finding that balance of cheap enough, good enough vs. absolute s***e is something I never find easy!

I've seen a couple of your remarks on the NX8 - glad you seem to be enjoying it!

DX9
Old 05-04-2021, 01:46 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Exactly - I think that price range will provide something that does the job adequately, though. Not the best but likely to be of reasonable enough quality for what I want.

Yup, I do like the NX8 - a definite step up from my DX6 which has served me well for a good few years now, it has to be said. The NX has a really nice feel about it and I especially like the Wi-fi and USB functions.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:49 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do let me know which one you end up going for and your thoughts on it.

Also - reassuring to know your DX6 lasted so long. I've high hopes my 9 will last me many more years. Though with ~170 hours of use on the simulator so far, I'm worried I'll wear the thing out

DX9
Old 05-05-2021, 01:45 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Will do - I've narrowed it down to three, one of which is the one you bought.

I think the whole DX series are good solid radios, but especially so the DX9 which really has become a 'classic'. I doubt that you will have any trouble with it - I hummed and hawed for quite a while over whether to buy a new DX9 or the NX8 when it was released. Eventually the new features won me over but I would have been more than happy with a new DX9.
Beserkr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in