Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > Phoenix Flight Sim

Phoenix Flight Sim Phoenix Flight Sim

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cyclo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2017, 07:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Best Simulator??

I recently tried a simulator that was full of bugs and did not work very well and I am looking for advice on a reliable replacement. I only fly helis at the moment. any recommendations would be appreciated. I have seen some good reports on Phoeinix. Thanks
rjabend is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2017, 09:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Phoenix and RealFlight are 2 of the best.
bzlytbeer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2017, 03:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

phoenix or accurc. and reservedly, realflight 7

accurc has very realistic quality, has the innovative workshop mode and literally replicates the entire mechanics of a heli, and is pretty simple to use. i would say its the most advanced sim out there presently. there are not that many helis but ones there are are physically modeled more truthfully than all other sims. they look really good in workshop mode and its fun to zoom in and examine them with all the textures and lighting effects. its still quite a young product and is being developed fast. its also good value and i think the upgrades are free. the online lobby is usually empty though which is disappointing if u like to fly with others and there is not a well known standard 3d-able plane, like a yak, available yet, just some war planes.

phoenix is also easy to use, with free upgrades, but its more game like quality means its criticized by many, but i think its great for a blast of no fuss 3d practice, once you have set a heli up properly. maybe its not the most realistic sim but i think its easily competent enough and great fun /value. it has many aircraft as standard, but most are set up like total pigs so u need to learn how to fine tune them for your liking. once you do they are good fun. dont bother with the small helis though. the online feature is probably the best of all the sims and theres normally many people online to fly and learn with. the planes are also very good nowadays, imo. you can fly fpv too on some fields

realflight 7.5 is probably the highest regarded generally of the rc sims, has a very realistic feel, great sound and crash effects, and the most features and flight modes of these 3 to explore. its more like accurc than phoenix in sim character, but i cant recommend it because i cant get my dx7s idle up switch to work and its generally quite a steep learning curve and will probably be frustrating at first. the planes fly very well so its good if you fly both. i dont like having to press the button on the dongle, the view resets or the expensive upgrades. you can download a ton of aircraft from the swap pages. probably most importantly, v 10 isnt much good on less than the highest spec pcs from what i hear and its a paid upgrade too. they seem to be taking the sim in a rather crazy direction. its frustrating because the actual sim part of rf is very good but the program itself is a pain (imo). those are the only sims i have used.

Last edited by neverland; 03-12-2017 at 03:17 PM..
neverland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2017, 03:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverland View Post
phoenix or accurc. and reservedly, realflight 7

accurc has very realistic quality, has the innovative workshop mode and literally replicates the entire mechanics of a heli, and is pretty simple to use. i would say its the most advanced sim out there presently. there are not that many helis but ones there are are probably physically modeled more truthfully than all other sims. its still quite young and is being developed fast. its also good value and i think the upgrades are free. the online lobby is usually empty though which is disappointing if u like to fly with others and there is not a good 3d-able plane, like a yak, available yet

phoenix is also easy to use, with free upgrades, but its more game like quality means its criticized by many, but i think its great for a blast of no fuss 3d practice, once you have set a heli up properly. maybe its not the most realistic sim but i think its easily competent enough. it has many aircraft but most are set up like total pigs so u need to learn how to fine tune them for your liking. the online feature is probably the best of all the sims and theres normally many people online to fly and learn with. the planes are also very good nowadays, imo.

realflight 7.5 is probably the highest regarded generally of the rc sims, has a very realistic feel, great sound and crash effects, and the most features of these 3 to explore. its more like accurc than phoenix in sim character, but i cant recommend it because i cant get my dx7s idle up switch to work and its generally quite a steep learning curve and will probably be frustrating at first. the planes fly very well so its good if you fly both. i dont like having to press the button on the dongle, the view resets or the expensive upgrades. you can download a ton of aircraft from the swap pages. probably most importantly, v 10 isnt much good on less than the highest spec pcs from what i hear and its a paid upgrade too. those are the only sims i have used.
Thanks! Very nice rundown. I have tried AccuRC and was looking for an alternative. I might head down to Hobby Town and try out Realflight & Phoenix.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I find heli-x is a great realistic simulator also
http://www.heli-x.info/cms/
And it has a great program for training too
Old 03-12-2017, 03:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1
Roger U is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2017, 03:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazztl View Post
I find heli-x is a great realistic simulator also
http://www.heli-x.info/cms/
And it has a great program for training too
What is the best way to connect a DX9 to Heli-X?
Old 03-12-2017, 04:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think it's a USB to Jr?
Here's an example :this is what I use
http://www.ebay.de/itm/152286723475
I'm in Germany but it's the same cable on USA eBay too
Old 03-19-2017, 09:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

After using (and tweaking to my liking) Phoenix for 5 years and just getting RF 7.5 a few days ago I must say RF 7.5 hands down.

Phoenix right off the box is more like a game as opposed to a SIM... The helis feel too light. You have to start tweaking motor power, model weight, etc., to get it to approximate real helis. Also I only fly 700 sized helis in Phoenix... I don't like the feel of the smaller ones. Spending some time to tweak the bigger models does make them fly closer to the real thing.

RF 7.5 on the other hand, especially after downloading user built models from their Knife Edge swap pages is good to go right off the bat. Even the smaller helis fly great... So far I have tried the Compass eXo and Logo 550SX among the smaller models. Overall I find the physics of RF 7.5 better than that of Phoenix. The models hang, auto, move and crash more like the real thing.

One thing going for RF 7.5 as mentioned above are the models you can download off the swap pages. Not only have these been pre-tweaked with advise from top pilots (Mikados made by Johnnie, and I believe SAB heli models made by Gronimod, Compass Chronos and eXo made by both RazorSh4rp and Johnnie with inputs from Compass designer Sebastian Zajones) but they also have more realistic sounds. For example, when I do funnels I could hear (though still not as loud as the real thing) the whine of the tail rotor. The helis sound different from one another too.

I got the RF 7.5 version with the Interlink 8CH controller. I really like this controller even though it is tethered to the computer via a USB cable. The reason I got this package is because I don't want to put additional wear and tear on my aging DX8. The Interlink controller switch positions are exactly the same as those of my real controller... Specifically the Flight Mode and Throttle Hold switches. The feel is also very similar to my DX8, probably even a bit better because it is new lol. It also came with cables so I can connect the real controller to it and use that instead if I wanted to. I still have to try that option.

The RF7.5 models are relatively easy to tweak too. Within two days of using RF 7.5 I was already able to add my tweak to the stock Chronos canopy thanks to tips from BrokeDad at the HF RealFlight forums. I added Scorpion decals to the canopy so the model now looks very similar to my Chronos.

Ah Clem likes this.
Compass Chronos | 7HVU | 550U | Atom 500 | Oxy 5 HF 560 | 5 HF 625 | Gaui X3 #1 | X3 #2

Last edited by cyclo; 03-19-2017 at 11:39 AM..
cyclo is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2017, 08:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I recorded a video of my RF 7.5 Chronos in action... It looks, feels, sounds very similar to my real Chronos... The only thing i need to tweak right on the RF 7.5 Chronos right now is to improve the precision of the cyclics at IU2... They feel a little soft when doing high speed full collective loops.

Real Flight 7.5 Compass Chronos (3 min 52 sec)

From my personal experience especially with the RF 7.5 Chronos , RealFlight 7.5 beats Phoenix hands down when it comes to realism.
Compass Chronos | 7HVU | 550U | Atom 500 | Oxy 5 HF 560 | 5 HF 625 | Gaui X3 #1 | X3 #2
Old 03-19-2017, 08:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclo View Post
I recorded a video of my RF 7.5 Chronos in action... It looks, feels, sounds very similar to my real Chronos... The only thing i need to tweak right on the RF 7.5 Chronos right now is to improve the precision of the cyclics at IU2... They feel a little soft when doing high speed full collective loops.

Real Flight 7.5 Compass Chronos - YouTube

From my personal experience especially with the RF 7.5 Chronos , RealFlight 7.5 beats Phoenix hands down when it comes to realism.
Thanks for the demo. RF looks pretty good and I think your video has convinced to go that way. As an aside though, you came pretty close to yourself a couple of times
Old 03-20-2017, 07:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjabend View Post
Thanks for the demo. RF looks pretty good and I think your video has convinced to go that way. As an aside though, you came pretty close to yourself a couple of times
Good choice, I am sure you will like it... Will save you money from potential crash costs in the long run. I tend to fly closer in the sim because it is not as easy to see the helis on an LCD monitor.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Unless you have a lesser computer there's not a lot of reason to be disappointed in Phoenix really.

My only legitimate complaint is that the large models drop too slowly knife edge and Phoenix doesn't have the most realistic sounds for the heli. You can fix the knife edge drop by increasing simulator speed if your graphics card is fast enough, mine is not fast enough.

Other than that when your hooking up your TX you can literally do anything with the channels, map them anywhere and heli-x and next sim are very limited in that area. I love both of those as well. If Phoenix had nEXT's sound and some of their fields I'd be tickled.

Anyhow it sounds like you've made up your mind already but here is the vid that sold me on Phoenix in 2011.

Happy Landings! You can tell this guy was getting kind of pissed cuz he couldn't successfully auto a sim heli towards the end.
Phoenix RC Simulator crash (2 min 43 sec)

Last edited by Bladecpnitro; 05-31-2017 at 10:01 PM..
Bladecpnitro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2021, 07:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very nice rundown
bellabellaince is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2021, 01:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have RealFlight 6.5. Works nicely.

A friend has RF7.5 and
Phoenix.

RF still uses the outdated DirectX9.0c (from WinXp) up to V9.5.

For every major RF update you have to pay big money.

I got AccuRc in summer with newer graphics engine (for a borrowed Laptop with Nvidia Mx230 card).
I read that V3 Alpha again upgraded the engine to make the physics faster on low power Pcs.

Personally flew Phoenix a few times years ago on a dealer PC...maybe with suboptimal Usb ports (something felt so wrong/jumpy) but helis in Phoenix always had a quite synthetic simulation touch.
Didn't like it.
As I said, maybe a computer issue because RF felt not so great compared to my old Amd computer and butter smooth flying experience.
Walkera Devo 10/DeviationTX (12CH DSMx & telemetry)...Ex-DX8...Blade 4503D...Walkera V120D02s...XK K110...Blade 200QX quad...Ex-NanoCPX...Ex-120SR...StrykerQ (LEDs, M2 tuning)...Ex-MPX EGP...PPZ P51-D...PZ Wildcat (searching fuselage-firewall)
Thomas.Heiss is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in